This is what my doctor said about FM today Do they really know?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaneSmith, Feb 23, 2007.

1. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Had my "Annual". First time I saw her. I told her when she was taking a history that I had Fibromyalgia. She said she believes it is caused by a virus like Mono. Now, my Primary doctor believes it is caused by not getting restorative sleep. Do any of these Professionals really know???????????
  2. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

Jane,
    The short answer is "no, they don't." What they do know about Fibromyalgia is that the central nervous system is affected. They know that, at least in some cases, this also affect the immune system and the HTP axis (basically, the adrenalin system, or the energy system). They know a lot of thing are affected, like sleep quality and the ability to fight off various infections/viruses. But it's a chicken and egg thing. They don't know if the problem with sleep affects the other systems, or if the other systems affect sleep quality. Some recent results (search this board for "Montoya") suggest that effective treatment can be gained for at least some sufferers by treating for viruses in the herpes family (of which the mono virus is one). But whether this is a treatment or a cure (or just a stop-gap) is all speculative at this point.

So, no; none of these professionals really know. Hence the need for more awareness, more research and research funds, because, after 20+ years, no one really knows what causes Fibromyalgia.
  3. lnw3602

lnw3602 New Member

I'm on my fourth doctor. When my rheumy told me I had FM she said that everybody has it and it was no big deal. That is why I have a new doctor. The new guy said that Fibromyalgia is BS. However, he prescribed pain meds and Ritalin on my second visit. I told him I don't care what he calls it, I just need help. I think it will work out and I really don't care if he doesn't want to call it FM.

He also said that because I'm not depressed is another reason to say I don't have FM. Wait a minute. I thought FM was BS? Now he says I don't have one of the symptoms of BS? He is really funny and helpful. They don't really know though.

Laura-Nell
  4. Suzan

Suzan New Member

If any doctor tells you he/she can fix you..or KNOWS what the cause is..go in another direction as fast as you can!
    No one knows WHAT causes Fibromyalgia, and as of yet there is no "miracle" pill that will cure it.
    However, there are good doctors who will admit to not knowing..and be willing to help you deal with any and all symptoms that you are bothered with.
    The best thing you can do is to read a bit about it from reliable sources..and then keep your eyes open as new research emerges, in case something comes up that will help you feel better.
    I am wary of doctors who say things that contradict current research on FMS, in my mind...if they are good at their jobs..they either should admit that they know little about it...or read up..so they can at least quote you current knowledge!