This is working GREAT for me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hawkeye, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I am so excited about this new discovery I made last Sunday I just wanted to share it with you all! I went to Whole Foods Market last Sunday and talked with the gentleman who manages the supplement department about my ongoing severe fatigue. I don't know about you all but I am so tired of being constantly exhausted even though I have been getting my proper amount of overnight sleep....anyway he suggested that I try a product called Rhodiola Energy it contains Rhodiola Root Extract and you take 2 capsules in the morning and it has made a tremendous difference immediately!
    I feel more alert, less brain fog, and have a ton more energy...even AFTER work I am actually getting some things done in the evening instead of just cuddling up with my heating pad and sitting in my chair until bedtime....

Now I just need to find something for this pain!

Hope you are all having a great weekend and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Karen
  2. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I went into several sites and they all pretty much had this information, but what I found particularly interesting was the reference specifically to Fibromyalgia.

Read on, hope this helps others and thank you Karen for sharing. :)

===========================================================
    In Germany, Rhodiola Root has been used for pain, headache, hemorrhoids, and as an anti-inflammatory. In recent times, Rhodiola Root has been the subject of numerous studies in Scandinavia and the former Soviet Union, where it has been favorably compared to Siberian Ginseng. Those studies show that Rhodiola Root is effective in improving cognitive function, improving the immune system, enhancing athletic performance, promoting weight loss, and relieving stress. Rhodiola has also been shown to have aphrodisiac properties, and has been used to treat premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction. Rhodiola Root is an adaptogen, similar in effect to Cordyceps, and boosts energy levels without the adverse effects of other stimulants. Rhodiola Root is now being studied for its positive attributes in fighting depression, Parkinson’s, ADD, and fibromyalgia.

Traditional folk medicine used R. rosea to increase physical endurance, work productivity, longevity, resistance to high altitude sickness, and to treat fatigue, depression, anemia, impotence, gastrointestinal ailments, infections, and nervous system disorders.

Again thanks for sharing Karen, much appreciated, I am going to try this as I believe holistic is a great approach. After all our forefathers had to know alot about this.

Take care and kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  3. homesheba

homesheba New Member

id love to try this!!
    i wonder tho about side effects with all the other stuff i am taking..?
  4. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

Please keep us posted on this stuff!
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

And don't forget about licorice, another adaptogen that helped me with adrenal fatigue, taken with tyrosine, an amino acid. There are others, they all help with endocrine and immune systems. I have Rhodiola but forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me! karen
  6. IowaMorningGlory

Thank you homesheba and borrowinnovations. I went looking a little further to see if I could find some more answers. Hope this helps. :)

==========================================================
    Side Effects:

Overall, R. rosea has very few side effects. Most users find that it improves their mood, energy level, and mental clarity. Some individuals, particularly those who tend to be anxious, may feel overly activated, jittery, or agitated. If this occurs, then a smaller dose with very gradual increases may be needed. R. rosea should be taken early in the day because it can interfere with sleep or cause vivid dreams (not nightmares) during the first few weeks. It is contraindicated in excited states. Because R. rosea has an activating antidepressant effect, it should not be used in individuals with bipolar disorder who are vulnerable to becoming manic when given antidepressants or stimulants. Until this has been further studied, the authors advise caution in patients with bipolar spectrum disorders. The herb does not appear to interact with other medications, though it may have additive effects with other stimulants. It is best absorbed when taken on an empty stomach 30 minutes before breakfast and lunch. As with any herbal preparation, patients should inform their primary healthcare practitioner when taking R. rosea.

What are adaptagens:

Adaptogens differ from other stimulants during forced, exhaustive muscular work. With classical stimulants the initial increase in work-capacity is followed by a period of substantially decreased (markedly below average) work-capacity. Repeated use of CNS stimulants depletes brain catecholamines and decreases conditioned reflexes. In contrast, with extracts of R. rosea, the initial increase in work-capacity is followed by a lesser diminution, such that the work-capacity continues to be above average.70

three defining criteria for an adaptogen:
    An adaptogen should be innocuous and cause minimal disturbance of the normal physiological functions of an organism;
    The action of an adaptogen should be nonspecific (i.e., it should increase resistance to adverse influences of a wide range of harmful factors of physical, chemical, and biological nature);
    An adaptogen may possess normalizing action irrespective of the direction of the preceding pathological changes (i.e., if a body parameter is high, the adaptogen brings it down towards normal; if a parameter is low, the adaptogen brings it up towards normal).

If anyone finds prices on the internet (not where) just how much so I have a price range, it would be great.

Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  7. Catseye

Catseye Member

Rhodiola 250 mg 60 pills $7.59
    Licorice 450 mg 100 3.69
    ginko biloba 120 mg 120 6.99

These are Nature's Way brand. Most adaptogens are fairly cheap, ashwaganda, cordyceps and reishi, too, are all under $10. They are definitely worth looking into. I love to use supplements instead of drugs. karen
    [This Message was Edited on 11/18/2006]
  8. IowaMorningGlory

Thank you much Karen. I appreciate the info. :)

Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  9. IowaMorningGlory

Off subject a little, but Karen you mentioned Reishi. Isn't that a type of mushroom? I am asking because I did a dumb thing the other day by trying to go cold turkey on caffiene (no coffee in the morning)...duh! I need it or I get migraines.

It happened I went to my massage therapist that morning and he said his wife drinks a coffee with reishi mushrooms in. It has something like 9mg of caffiene vs. 135mg of caffiene reg. coffee has. He couldn't remember the brand though.

Have you ever heard of this?

Kitten hugs and thanks a bunch,
    Laurie
  10. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Karen, I've been reading Suzanne Somers' latest book "Ageless". In it she interviews Dr.Paul Schulick and he highly recommends Rhodiola for increasing stamina, mental fortitude, athletic performance and says that it has a pronounced antifatigue effect, too. He says "this herb may be helpful in treating obesity and may also dampen food cravings".

Now that I've read your post I definitely am going to try it. Thanks for telling us of your experience.

Lolalee
  11. Catseye

Catseye Member

Yes, there's a coffee with Reishi that's supposedly "energizing". I swear by mushrooms after I went through a nasty bout of liver congestion where I couldn't hardly eat anything without feeling bad, especially protein. I took some liver support pills that had a bunch of mushrooms including reishi, cordyceps and shiitake and in a few days, I was able to eat much better. I still take them, too. There are some supplements that I'll probably always take just for "maintenance" so to speak, just to keep feeling good. Mushrooms and adaptogens will definitely be on the list.

The last time I drank coffee, I had a half cup of my favorite GF International coffee french vanilla. I peed every hour for 2 weeks, night and day. I'm down to almost nothing I used to eat or drink, get out the violin, I hear a whine coming! Too bad, I ate and drank bad for years and now it's payback. In a way, getting this sick will end up being a good thing because I'll come out healthier than before and will continue to take good care of myself. Not sure it was worth the torture for 4 years, though.

So wean yourself off caffeine slowly to get over the withdrawal headaches and try some adaptogens for energy! I also like things like these where you see results soon instead of having to wait like a month. karen
  12. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I haven't heard of that one, but I certainly would not mind a boost in energy. I will keep an eye out for that supplement the next time I am shopping.
  13. spacee

spacee Member

Thanks to you who reported about it!

It sounds somewhat like NADH but with more positive benefits.
    (You take NADH 30 mins before eating am. helps with mental clarity).

I am sure that they don't work in the body the same way.

I love supplements too. I have just started the Olive Leaf Extract. It is $10 a month!! It is an antiviral and possibly related more to CFSers that FMs.

Spacee
  14. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Thanks for letting us all know how this has helped.

I think I took this a few years ago. I'm willing to try it again since I'm bottoming out here!!

Thanks to IowaMorningGlory for posting all that information!

SCAPPER
  15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

You are all so welcome for my suggestion and Thank You All for all your information and other suggestions! I especially am interested in trying that combination for the pain.

I currently take Tramadol for my pain and have for way more years than I can count and I sure don't like having to take it but I would not have any type of "normal" life without it....it helps me to be able to work and get around.

I also wanted to say that I read on one of the sites that one shouldn't take this Rhodiola Root for longer than 4 months without a break...I don't exactly know why but that is what it said....funny I don't know how they come up with 4 months but if anyone knows any info on this I would appreciate if you would share.

I so dearly appreciate all of you and finding this website!

Oh one more thing....is anyone as sick as me of Tom and Katie's wedding.........ughhhhhhhhhhhh! It's driving me crazy!!! LOL

Happy Thansgiving to you all!
    Karen