This One Will Make You All MAD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cardinal50, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. cardinal50

    cardinal50 New Member

    I was so upset after coming home from my first physical therapy visit. My doctor sent me there to see if it could help relieve any of my pain. The therapist I had treated me like there was nothing wrong with me. She said you just need to move more and then you would not have the pain you do. And then she proceeded to tell me that Fibomyalgia is what doctors call pain when they can not find anything else wrong with you..... She said people just need to get up and move, use their bodies and they won't be in this condition of constent pain... She acted like Fibro is not real.
    I was so surprised at what she said and how she said it... I felt awful when I left...
    Thanks for letting me vent...
  2. IntuneJune

    IntuneJune New Member

    Yes, this upsets me. I have been posting for years that the greatest help I have received over my 25 years of dealing with fibromyalgia came from two physical therapists.

    You could pile up ALL my doctors and they could not measure up to the two therapists.

    At the facility, the patients could book with the therapist they wished. You could tell the front desk you were uncomfortable or for personal reasons, you wanted to try another therapist.

    Fondly, June
  3. UnicornK

    UnicornK New Member

    Prickles has a post with a flyer printed on it. I recommend that you print it out and give it to your PT. It is in honor of Awareness Day on May 15, and we need to educate as many people as we can...especially ignorant ones like that.

    God Bless.
  4. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member


    I would let them know of the trigger points and the myriad of symptoms we have that lead a doctor to diagnose FM.
    You know the ICD codes--well, they are on my doctor's receipt and there is one for Fibromyalgia and he always circles it along with Cervical Disk Syndrome and hypertension and hypo thyroid.

    Who the heck is a P.T. to play doctor? I would report the person who is overstepping their bonds.

  5. FMsolider

    FMsolider New Member

    I am wondering what your reply was to this person? Or what your reply/s are in general to ingorant and/or rude people? I tend to try to stay calm and say that their info is wayyy out dated, explain all the research I have done ect...
  6. jbennett2

    jbennett2 New Member

    go to that site and print out the "things your health care professional should know about FM" They have them for all different specialties - including PT'S. I go to a PT for myofacial release and it is great.

    The information is under "Doctors and other health care providers. Great site.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/02/2006]
  7. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    I had a wonderful physical therapist who taught me gentle exercises to keep my muscles strong and flexible. I was able to do them even when bedridden. Tell your doc about her as she shouldn't be working with FMS patients. Find a good physical therapist. Usually where they do myofacial pain relief, they are knowledgeable of our problems, even though what we have is different.

    Good luck.

    Love, Mikie
  8. wildflowers2

    wildflowers2 New Member

    report her she was not very professional with you. and you do have rights and NOT her oppinion. Turn her in the insurance company I have done that several times already.
  9. cookmski

    cookmski New Member

    Definetly find another PT. I just started going 3 weeks ago and my PT realizes my limitations and said I set the pace. A good friend of the family is a PT in Conn. and the first thing he said when his mother told him I have fibro was find a good PT!Good luck

[ advertisement ]