This orthopedist could have severely hurt me or killed me

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by TwoCatDoctors, Feb 29, 2012.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I was sent to an orthopedic doctor/surgeon about my knees and he was a jerk, obnoxious and didn't want to hear anything I was saying (which would have given him important info to help him) and he's talking and loading syringes with something at the same time and was at my knees to inject my knees.

I yelled out "STOP, STOP I'm allergic to lidocaine" (I don't know what he was injecting, but instinct had me yell that). And the doctor stopped and was surprised I was allergic to lidocaine AND WHAT HE WAS GOING TO INJECT HAD LIDOCAINE IN IT.

I then chewed this doctor out. I told him that he required I complete pages of paperwork with tons of info before seeing him, and provide him with a list (which I typed) of anything I'm allergic to, medications, hospitalizations/surgeries--AND IT WAS CLEAR HE HADN'T READ ANY OF IT because several places state I am allergic to lidocaine with life threatening symptoms.

The doctor told me he had just skimmed the paperwork. I continued to chew him out and tell him that It's no walk in the park being in the hospital with life threatening symptoms due to lidocaine reaction.

He arranged for an MRI and we got that done and at the next visit he then was the model of a perfect doctor that I'm used to treating with--I got the MRI results and will never see him again and he will never inject me. I have to tell my primary care doctor what this orthopedist did and recommend he not use him again.

I'll be in hinged knee braces on both legs and be trying to do exercises and try to work on this myself. If it turns out I cannot, I will have to see another doctor, but not him.

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You went through this but am glad he didn't inject you. What a jerk!!!

I had doc write an Rx for an ABX to which I'm severely allergic and he even saw the note on my chart.

We have to be so vigilent. Glad you reemed him out. Good for you.

Love, Mikie
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Kinda shakes your faith in the medical profession, don't it? Actually, in the
    last couple decades I've lost faith in just about everything: government,
    big business, religion, charities, the media. Not much left.

Anyhoo, 2cat, as Mikie said, good thing you were vigilant. I've had similar
    experiences. Probably most of us have. I read recently that it is
    estimated that bad medical care kills more Americans that auto accidents.

Hope ya get ta feelin' better.

Rock
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

How Scary! Thankfully your instincts set in and made you yell out.

I can't tell you how many times the SAME Dr. has prescribed me something w/aspirin in it when it is clear in my chart that I am allergic to aspirin.

Everytime I am prescribed something, I go home and look it up.

Very happy that you averted what could have been a terrible situation!