this seems so crazy but does anyone sprain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunflowergirl, Sep 7, 2005.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

their joints very easily. I turn a door knob and sprain my wrist. If I step wrong barefooted, I sprain a toe or ankle. Three weeks ago I went to pick up something and sprained my thumb really bad and it's still swollen.

I'm getting a little concerned about this. Is this just part of FM?
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

I do and it usually happens during the winter months.
    I call it "getting stung". Some recovery within hours, some seem to flame up into tendonitis.... specially the elbows and wrists.

I hope you feel better soon....

Elsa
  3. steve69h

steve69h New Member

I've been constantantly spraining something. Sometimes it last an hour or so and other times for days. I get some wierd ones too my jaw, my middle toes, and eye socket area (that smarts big time) And I've asked and no one has an answer (imagine that) I gave up going to the Dr anymore for them there tired of it too.
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I frequently sprain my upper arms, my ankles, my legs and I havent done anything like twist them, it just happens and the sprain can last anywhere from a day to a month.

My doctor has no answers for this either.

Rosie
  5. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I sure do, my fingers can be bruised also, on the back of the knuckles, just opening an envlope.
    Hmmm, thought that was just me, and the OA, I also turn my ankles tripping over a Feather.

It does tak a long time for the pain to go away too.
    I use my Ice packs, then the Heating packs, which helps, but I am now using 2 Canes, to help keep me from tripping and stumbling.

I hope you feel better today, sorry your thumb is still hurting and swollen, have you had your Dr. check it out?
    Even the little things, (is anything really little with us?) can cause us misery and we need to make sure it's not some other cause.

You need your thumb to Create your Art, so be gentle with it, ;o)
    How's your Mom btw? Hope she's doing well.

Hugs,
    sharonk
  6. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I sprain easily too. My ankle and my wrist. My most awesome Rheumy in NJ told me that we are prone to repeat sprains because - a sprain in when a tendon or ligament gets stretched beyond normal limits and since fms affects the connective tissue it usually doesn't heal 100%. So it stays a little stretched and sprains again easily.

Dr. Staud told me that this is super common with us. He encourages excersize (big surprise there!) to strengthen the muscles so that they will do the work of the connective tissue - in essence, build up your muscles so you're less hyper-flexible.
  7. rt6176

rt6176 New Member

I have to walk a fine line. I sprain my fore arms, wrists, and fingers very easily.

I cannot use strengh to pull or lift with my hands.

The only way to use them is to place my arms and hands where I need them. Then, without changing their position, I move my body up or down, foreward or back, side to side.

When opening those dang blasted doors with the auto closers, I get the door open 3 inches using both hands leaning backwards. jam my foot and leg in the opening and push it open with my leg.

To open a jar I take it down the basement and put the lid in a vise. I can then use both hands to turn in the same direction while moving my body in that direction.

I don't tell the doctors about it anymore becouse the first thing they do in perform muscle tests to so how much strength I have.

It takes about six weeks to recover after I let a doctor maul me.

I always refuse any muscle testing now and I always get written up as a "problem patient".

Repeatative motion is also a problem.

So is my spelling...

I have CFS. I see you have FM.

I either to exausted or scared I will hurt myself again to do any chores around the house.

Its a hard life for a guy who loves doing projects.

Good Luck, You are not alone,

RJay

[This Message was Edited on 09/08/2005]
  8. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

No you are it is not crazy.

Since last Sept, I sprained my ankles a minimum of 10 times. I also broke my foot in two places. To top that off I recently had 35 vials of blood taken and my hand that I had to keep squeezing was sprained.

It's crazy isn't it!

I have to be careful with everything I do because of this and you should too!

I wish the best!

Peaceful mind and body to all!

Marcia
  9. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I'm glad to know I'm not alone.....misery loves company...but I do wish we all didn't have this.

I'm having to learn to walk carefully, and do things a little slower so I can think....."Can I get hurt doing this?"

SharonK. My Mom's doing great, better than me. She turns 97 this month and seems to love her retirement home. By the way, that board we were both on for a short season........she up and blocked me out of it!
  10. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I am glad that your Mother is doing well, I think it's amazing that she's 97 years old. ;o)

Why am I not surprised, about that happening to you, there.
    It's taken me a while to get my Trust built back up, I think this is a great place for information, and I have never had any trouble here.
    A few posts removed now and then, lol, lol.

Glad to see your still Posting here, I sure do miss some of the other's tho. Well life is full of changes.

Do you still have my e-mail addy? Please E-me if you want, I can tell you why, more than likely that it happened.
    Please, keep on Posting thoes beautiful Paintings of your's, I so enjoy them.
    Hug's,
    sharonk
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2005]
  11. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Hi sunflowergirl - long time no see........

Yes, all I have to do is turn the wrong way, or just try to avoid stepping on something, and something in my body will feel like it is sprained/strained.......

Luckily, within a day, it does feel better........

Love, Donna
  12. tansy

tansy New Member

this was always happening to me, just as it does other family members, and the rate of occurrence per generation is high. Most have had surgery, treatments, and there is early onset OA in the most affected joints. I enjoyed some sport and preferred the outdoor life, so these minor injuries were always occurring. From past experience I can confirm building up muscles does help, well before acute onset ME/CFS that is, now it’s a very difficult because even the gentlest exercises aimed at building muscle strength can cause injury and further loss of muscle bulk. This is aside from the loss of muscle power and post exertion malaise.

RSI seems to be very common in these DDs; I get that a lot too. This is where the advice of pacing works well, a little bit of one activity then a little bit of another activity, this has enabled me too do a bit more with less muscle and/or joint problems since I have progressed a few levels.

I am currently having PT, recommended after my cervical spine MRI; it’s proving challenging for both of us. Since I live in the UK there are no prizes for guessing the nature of the info on ME/CFS my PT has access to. Next appt I will tell him about the proposed Inquiry, he’s already had a rethink about some of the classic issues present in those of us who have marked muscle and neurological involvement. He was taken aback when he checked all the reflexes in my upper limbs, they were a lot worse than he’d expected.

Tansy