This storm

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KJ2003, Sep 22, 2005.

1. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Someone mentioned to me yesterday that it might be the storm that's causing me to feel worse than usual. And I think she was right.

I live in Texarkana (where the storm is supposed to stall out) and we are already getting light winds and clouds this morning.

I'm having an arthritic mother of a flare. Yesterday it was the center of my back, which I think was a different thing altogether. But today, I feel it in my neck, my arms and my hands and it is really getting to me.

I just found out that I have to do a live 5-hour show today and report constantly on the hurricane, which is understandable. Since corporate bought out radio, the big guys can't report like heritage stations can report and, if the electricity goes out, we'll be all they have to listen to for information.

But, as far as today goes, OY...reporting for five hours. And that's not all. It looks like we'll be up here all weekend reporting, as well so I'll actually be packing clothes, pillows, etc as well as bagging up food and drinks for us to last the weekend until Monday. If this thing stalls out, like noaa says it is going to, then we'll be reporting on this thing until Tuesday, if not longer.

Luckily, working at a station, we have back up generators so I'll always have access to a computer.

Sorry to ramble on and on but I've never been in anything like this, much less reported on it, and I'm a little pre-shell-shook from it all, if that's even a word (but you know what I mean).

Thanks for listening to my rant. Will they ever end? lol

Kim

PS By the way, Texarkana is under a Tropical Storm Watch for the next couple of days. I looked at the radar and it looks like it will be directly over us on Sunday.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2005]
  2. puglover29

puglover29 New Member

I couldn't imagine 5 hours on air feeling like we do. I sure hope you stay safe! This hurricane it huge! I can certainly understand the pre-shell shick jitters, I'd have them too!

Brenda
    Atlanta, GA
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Be safe!

Storm fronts and weather changes do tend to make our symptoms escalate. Working a five hour stint during a major weather induced flare is tough.

Can you fit in a few stretches during the day? I don't mean a full yoga session LOL, but simple stretches that might keep the muscles from getting too stiff.

It might help to wear a warm up jacket that you can take on and off. Like a baseball pitcher who keeps his arm warm between innings .... I found if I can keep my muscles warm it helps a little bit.

I'm sorry you're in pre-shock! I'll be thinking about you.Please let us know how you are getting on if you get the chance.

Take care,

Elsa
  4. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Wow! You surely are brave!
    I'll be thinking of you and praying. Hang on tight. don't forget to eat snacks to keep your strength up.

I think those of you who report under such conditions are true heroes.- - and to do it whle you are so sick. well, cudos from me. I'll be thnking of you.

Big hugs,
    Terry
  5. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

elsa, you gave me a great idea. If I have to be here over the weekend, I'm wearing my pajamas. I don't care. It's not the time for beauty pageants. And I'm bringing my heating pad, too! Thank you for helping me to think in these terms.

Oh, heck yes, I'll be getting some stretching in...absolutely! And who said I can't do a whole yoga session? lol. Well, I probably won't but I will be doing stretches.

I have to say that I have never felt this way before. The unknown, the (different kind of) excitement, the stress, the anxiety, the wondering and worrying. It's so much...especially when I haven't experienced this before. The owner of the distributing company at the remote yesterday, has been through three of these. He said to expect torrential rain, 60-mile an hour winds and many tornadoes ongoing for 24 hours. Then it will be over.

Then it will be over? I don't want it to start. 60-mile an hour winds for 24 continual hours? I can't imagine all of this.

I'll stop ranting but thank you for the kind words and suggestions. I've taken them to heart.

Kim
  6. Joyce345

Joyce345 New Member

Hi Kim,

I've been keeping an eye on this storm and I can't imagine you working and feeling like you do. I REALLY admire what you're doing.

Yes, everytime we get a change in the weather ( I live in NJ) my body becomes a barometer. The stronger the front, the more I ache! At least I'm home so I can rest. Sometimes I find that if I keep myself busy, the pain isn't as severe because I'm concentrating and keeping my mind occupied. So that's one thing in your favor because you'll be reporting and helping people become aware of the latest developments of " Rita". That's got to make you feel good because even though it's your job, you are helping people.

NJ used to get hurricanes all the time, but lately they're all towards Fla and the Gulf. I know we're well overdue for a doozy hurricane so I can't wait until this season is over. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all those poor people facing Nature's fury AGAIN! Stay safe and please write when the storm is gone.

Luvs & Hugs,
    Joyce
  7. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Well, I was sure hoping we ( in Texarkana ) would only get some rain, but it looks like we're in for more than that.
    My brother and sister-in-law moved here from Houston 4 years ago, so they have several relatives staying with them that arrived last night ( after being on the highway for HOURS).

I'll turn my dial to your station over the weekend. I tried to pick it up here at work, but in this building, some stations just won't come in on my radio.

I know what you mean by the weather affecting how we feel. We're in for a bad weekend all the way around.

Take care.

Kinsie

8. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

My sister in arms! lol. I hope you have gotten your gas and groceries already because it's going to be swamped today. Even last night, I heard that Nash had a LONG line of people waiting to get gas.

I talked with Fabienne this morning (she's been doing radio here forever...you probably know her) and she said that if this thing stalls out, we'll get flooding, too. So, yes, it looks like we are in for it.

Again, not like those who are on the coast but enough to shake up this little town that's never seen anything like this before.

Take care and, yes, we WILL be here all weekend to report on this so keep us tuned in.

Kim
  9. rigby

rigby New Member

I had to drive for 14 hours straight to leave Galveston area I normal don't drive but had to had my 5 dogs so hard to stop lucky had enough gas. Not sure what to go home through mess either way. I might stay with my sister for a while before I try and drive back. I only got lost on time had to call daughter to find out where I was. My mom and dad stay so that kinda of scarey. That care to every one around this storm just saw the bus fire with all the elderly people so sad.
  10. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

We've been watching the horrible traffic from Galveston since yesterday. I am GLAD you are finally at a destination and out of that mess. And thank goodness you had gas. Do you know that some people didn't even fill their tanks up? Unbelievable!

It looks like there will be heavy flooding in Galveston but the direct hit will be a bit more east (Beaumont) than previously thought.

I'll keep you and your parents in my thoughts and prayers. I know it is scary but I'm sure your parents are wise enough to know how to weather a storm.

Please keep us updated on what is going on in your area, OK?

Many blessings to you!

(((hugs)))

Kim
  11. rigby

rigby New Member

Thank you my kids could not believe I got lost going to my sister's house been going up here for 30 years and grew up here. Fibrofog after so much driving and people were driving crazy and the dogs and I were hungry.
  12. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Hi Folks,

Rita is making its way towards our area (Texarkana, which is northeast Texas and southwest Arkansas - we're also adjacent to southern Oklahoma and Northern Louisiana) and we have the potential to see 20 inches of rain by Monday. I don't even know what 20 inches of rain can do to a town but it looks like I'll find out.

It's really dark here and, if you walk outside, you can see the clouds literally racing through the sky. It's a very odd looking situation. As of right now, we have light rain and winds and the humidity is unbelievable.

I am flaring badly...like I haven't flared in ages. I just thought I was flaring the past couple of days but today it is just under unbearable.

We are reporting live today and are under a flash flood watch at this time. This area is targeted to receive the worst of the rain and potential flooding.

I'll let you know what happens but I won't be posting a lot because I just have too much on my plate.

I love you all.

Kim