This was Horrible! Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Mar 14, 2007.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

Last night I woke up with vertigo. I realize this is an inner ear thing and I know what to do about it. Sort of a home variety of Epley Maneuver. Okay.

Here's the bad part: This time I was completely disoriented. Found myself on the wrong side of the room standing by the bed, the side I don't sleep on. Had a terrible time finding my way to the adjoining bathroom. Completely disoriented.

Didn't have my glasses on as I had been asleep, and as I'm blind as a bat, this made it much worse. Had to inch my way around the room, touching things I recognized and going very slowly until I located the bathroom door and then everything fell back into place.

I haven't had this happen since I was a little girl. I used to wake up disoriented when I was very young--maybe 4 years old--unable to figure out where the door was, etc. This was just like that only worse.

Have any of you had this experience? It was very upsettiing.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2007]
  2. MsE

MsE New Member

just a bump
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

many of us suffer from this. It is upsetting and after years is maddening.
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

Shalala, I need to double-check what I think I read in your post. I know vertigo is part of the scene, but disorientation? (All the stuff I've read indicates I should be checked for a stroke, Parkinsons's, Altzheimers--all the yucky stuff.)

So, are you saying the disorientation is something you've experienced? Woke up at night "lost"? If so, I'll settle right down. :)
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Hi MsE

The vertigo is horrible, did you get nausated? This was one of my first symptoms of CFS, which I was treated for an inner ear problem but that has been 6 years ago and I have never recovered..The disoriention scared the h-- out of me..Its a horrible feeling.

I do not have the vertigo much anymore, thank goodness but I still have the diosoriented feelings from time to time..In fact had one yesterday, with a headache, my bones achy so bad and the feeling I was just out of it..I was so bad I had to stay in bed..

Anyway, at our age it wouldn't hurt to get checked out but
    you could have been in a deep sleep and awoke with the vertigo and that might explain the disoriention..

Honestly, I get so tired of never knowing if its part of the CFS or maybe something is happening to me..Even worse the doctors seem clueless, so I have given up on most of them.

Sorry, I don't have an answer as to why this might have happened to you, but if you are ok now, I wouldn't worry to much about it. If it happens again I would see a doctor..

Take care and keep us posted,
    greatgran

6. nina_and_me

nina_and_me New Member

I had an episode of vertigo about six weeks ago. I don't know what caused it, but it resolved itself that day. It was a Saturday, and I didn't have to work, so when it happened the first time, I felt like the world was spinning around me, even though I was laying still. All I'd done was move my head from one side to the other. I closed my eyes and after several seconds, I was okay.

I got up a little later and the same thing happened, but I was standing. I barely made it back to bed before I had to lay down. I closed my eyes again and finally found a position where the vertigo stopped.

I've never experienced vertigo, and I don't know what caused it. If I had an ear infection, I never had symptoms. I didn't vomit, although I felt nausea when I had the vertigo, but each episode only lasted seconds. I just had to find a position and not move in order to stop it.

It was really scary to see the world spinning around me while I was still. I still don't know what caused it, and unless it recurs, I'll chalk it up to an inner ear problem that had no other symptoms than vertigo.
  7. MsE

MsE New Member

Greatgran, I don't get nauseated with it. The vertigo itself doesn't scare me because I know it's that crystals in the ear thing and I can get rid of it by doing the exercises for dislodging them. It's easy to do.

However, the disorientation! I mean, I was totally lost in my own bedroom! Found myself on the far side of the room with my nose practically against the closet sliding doors and haven't the slightest idea how I got there.

Then, when I turned around to reach for the bed, which I knew was right behind me, it wasn't there. Somehow, I had turned in the wrong direction from what I had intended.

So I had to inch my way along in the dark, hanging onto the furniture, which I recognized, until I found the bathroom door and could reach in and switch on the light.

When I say "disorientation" I mean totally lost! Completely turned around! Not pleasant. All this time I kept leaning off to the right a bit. Sort of "listing." :) Weird and very upsetting.

8. clerty

clerty New Member

I got up and I did not know where I was what time it was or if my husband had left for work it was horrible I called his name and he came running in to the bed room worried!!!
    I think I can get like that if I am stressed.
    clertyx
  9. MsE

MsE New Member

Ugh. Sounds yucky. Has that ever happened to you at night? Wake up with it? What the heck is happening to our brains?
  10. clerty

clerty New Member

Just in the mornings it can happen I have been dealing with bad panick attacks for the last few weeks no doubt it will be from all the stresss !!!
  11. MsE

MsE New Member

You're right about that: panick attacks/stress can do it. I would have put it down to vertigo and stress except it really happened in the middle of the night and I was unaware, at first, of having got out of bed. I can't remember that I was dreaming, and I've never been a sleep-walker, so....?????
  12. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I would definitely get it checked by a doctor.You never know.

When certain things scare us we should not always blame it on FM/CFS it could be something else.

I have learned never to put the blame on something that is happening to me on FM/CFS.

We all need to be careful.

Sue
  13. MsE

MsE New Member

Hi Sue. You are correct. I had placed a call to the nurse yesterday, and she called this morning. I have an appointment with my doctor on the 23rd. I will go to the ER if the bad disorientation happens again.

However, the other night's scare was probably the result of a bad attack of positional vertigo, which I have been diagnosed with recently and thought had gone away. I think what happened is that I hadn't realized I was so dizzy, sat up and started for the bathroom and it hit. From then on, I knew I was in my bedroom, but everything was turned around.

Last night when I woke up for that 3:00 AM potty break, I remembered I had a problem and so I just sat on the edge of the bed before standing. In a moment the room began swimming, so I just sat there until it quieted enough so I could get to the bathroom safely.

However, since years ago I had a neck injury, I will be checked out by the doctor. Gee. And to think I had just made up my mind not to see a doc again. Never say "never" fits!

That's it for now. No more computer today. It sees to be aggravating the dizziness. Eye movement, I suppose. Shucks!