Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Jan 22, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I'm beginning to think I have thoracic outlet syndrome. Has anybody else had experience with this condition? How has it interacted with your fibro or other health condition(s)? What medical provider(s) have be helpful in treating this?

--Laura R.M.
  2. Lendi

Lendi New Member

I had/have it, but had surgery to help correct it several years ago before CFS, so I don't know how they react together. I was born with an extra set of ribs and am very small, 4'8" so it was pretty easy to diagnose. First my gp sent me to an orthopaedist thinking carpal tunnel. He told me it was thoracic syndrome. Then, I went to a neurologist to make sure. He did an emg and an nvc, some other tests and exrays. Then, he gave me some exercises to try, but when they didn't work I had to have the extra ribs and the first set removed. That helped a lot, but I still have so problems if too much pressure is put on my shoulders. Holding newborn babies causes it to flair everytime...but who can resist :) If it's thoracic outlet, you ring finger and little finger will go numb and tingle. I had a great deal of pain in my arm as well. Hope I helped. Lendi