Those darn useless supplements.....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fmandy, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I ran into an article that really made me think about all the supplements that I take, and I realized that they are the ONLY medicines that I am taking that probably are helping me.

The following is just an example of how an ancient herb that has been used for centuries, is being researched to treat AIDS.

Just ain't no money in it for Merk or Roche!

You guys may already know about this algae. I read many other articles on how it is used to treat the Epstein Barr Virus, CFS and FM. I plan on checking if PH has any. I am going to get some!

The urls should probably not be listed but I just wanted to add credibility to this story.

There is also a good article at Pubmed. Just search Sulfated polymannuroguluronate. I added "Marine Algae or" to the title below...

Molecular Pharmacology

(Marine Algae or) Sulfated Polymannuroguluronate, a Novel

Anti-AIDS Drug Candidate, Inhibits T Cell Apoptosis by

Combating Oxidative Damage of Mitochondria

Benchun Miao, Jing Li, Xueyan Fu, Li Gan, Xianliang Xin,

and Meiyu Geng

Department of Pharmacology (B.M., J.L., L.G., X.X., M.G.),

Marine Drug and Food Institute, and Department of Food Science and Technology (X.F.), Food Science and Engineering Institute, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, People's Republic of China

Received June 1, 2005; accepted September 1, 2005

Marine Algae or Sulfated polymannuroguluronate (SPMG) has entered the phase II clinical trial as the first anti-AIDS drug candidate in China. Herein, we report that SPMG was effective at protecting T lymphocytes against apoptosis. Further studies indicated that SPMG significantly elevated mitochondrial membrane potential (MMP) of T cells; inhibited mitochondrial release of cytochrome c (cyto c) in T cells; enhanced the activities of mitochondrial enzyme complex I, III, and V; and subsequently increased ATP level and ATP/ADP ratio. In addition, SPMG potently suppressed reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation in mitochondria at cellular level and scavenged free radicals in cell-free system. The molecular mechanism underlying the ATP-involved and ROS-dependent antiapoptosis of SPMG is characterized as having been caused by its engagement with mitochondrial import receptor and ADP/ATP carrier in T-cell outer and inner mitochondrial membrane, respectively. All these might shed new light on the understanding of anti-AIDS functions of SPMG by protecting T cells of persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus. .............(very long article that says the algae id working....)
    (This is an explanation of how algae works on a website that sells red marine algae. It rings so true)

Western medicine, armed with its infinite technological powers, can still help us. Many potent botanical agents have been investigated but never made it through the arduous process of drug approval. Difficulties in understanding the intricate process under which particular botanical agents interact within the human body has kept many useful medicines from ever reaching the people who most urgently need them. In addition, many botanical agents can only work in their whole plant form. They work on multiple levels and act synergistically within the body.

Although the actions of these botanical agents in whole plants (commonly described as herbs or medicinal plants) are difficult to trace and report scientifically, a close monitoring of clinical results by trained practitioners can be useful and show efficacy. Certainly, using our powers of observation to determine whether a particular treatment works better than no treatment, or better than some other treatment for a patient whose health status and history is well documented can be significant.

One such casualty of the drug approval process is a red marine alga in the family of Dumontiaceae. Research on antiviral carbohydrates from marine red algae indicate a high potential for low-cost, broad spectrum antiviral agents. Further research in the family of Dumontiaceae produced two patents where clinical efficacy for herpes I and II was clearly shown. The treatment was effective for treating subjects (e.g. human patients) both prior to and subsequent to herpes infection. It was used topically to alleviate symptoms associated with herpes infections or preferably systemic, by oral administration, to eradicate the virus and thereby prevent symptom recurrence. No side effects or toxicity were noted. This treatment, which now must be considered alternative, suggests a breakthrough in the discovery of natural immunomodulatory and antiviral agents.

Recent research and gathering of anecdotal evidence on the health benefits and antiherpetic action of the red marine alga, Dumontiaceae, has yielded much promise. Its use as a topical has been further documented and thought superior to acyclovir. It was shown to be clinically effective against herpes zoster infections as well. Anecdotal reports from patients suffering from Epstein Barr (another herpes virus) and Candida have shown marked improvement in a short period of time through oral administration (systemic).

General health benefits show red marine algae useful in weight-loss programs and for lowering cholesterol and fat in the blood. It contains soothing, mucilaginous gels such as algin, carregeenan, and agar, which specifically rejuvenate the lungs and gastrointestinal tract. Once thought of as a liability that blocked assimilation, the tough cell wall in Dumontiaceae has been found to be invaluable. It binds with heavy metal, pesticides, and carcinogens, and carries these toxins safely out of the body. Contained within the cell walls are polysaccharides, which are a complex of simple sugars. These long chained complex sugars stimulate interferon production as well as other anti-tumor and immune- enhancing activity (improving activity of T- and B-cells). Other compounds in the cell wall are related to those found in friendly bacteria which fortify and strengthen our immune systems to fight against invading organisms and toxins.

Although the effects of long term use of an alternative treatment such as the red marine alga, Dumontiaceae, has not been clinically substantiated, edible seaweeds have been consumed for thousands of years and are considered safe, nutritious, and beneficial. The added dimension that science has uncovered surrounding its antiviral and immunomodulatory potential; opens up a whole new source of food that could serve to palliate or even hopefully cure virally caused diseases. Since most life derived from the sea, the novel idea that the ocean lies untapped as perhaps our greatest medicinal resource is entirely possible and may be critical to our human survival.

[edited to remove URL per rules]
    (This is from another site that sells red marine algae and it is very cheap).

Red marine algae has been a valued food in Asia for thousands of years due to its highly nutritious qualities. Carrageenans, a family of polysaccharide compounds extracted from algae, have been studied for their unique properties. In vitro studies show that carrageenans aid in a cell's natural defense by significantly minimizing the binding of unfriendly proteins to the cell's surface.

[edited to remove URL per rules]
  2. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Yes Mam I sure do plan to try it. Thanks for your thanks lol.

Kindest regards,

P.S. The best that I could tell, we gave grant money to the Chinese researchers. Oh well, if Walmart would give them a raise maybe they could have afforded it...I am just glad the research is being done.

Don't take me too seriously Jamin! I ain't right bright...
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Plus it heals bedsores when applied directly and creates new tissue. Many hospitals rely on it. In UK we have used special maggots and leaches for many years successfully but they are reluctant to use them here, even though they heal sores wonderfully. Some states do use these things.

Love Annie