Those of you who take Amitriptyline...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nonnie1967, Feb 6, 2006.

1. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

What dosage do you take?

My doc started me at 10mg, and took me all the way up to 75 mg, taken at bedtime. I started having chest pains and rapid heartbeat at the 75mg dosage, so I went back to my previous dosage of 50mg.

I was reading Dr. Don Goldenberg's book "Fibromyalgia" and he says he never gives patients more than 30mg of Amitriptyline. It seems like my doc is giving me an awfully high dosage, compared to that. So I wondered what dosage other FMS patients are taking?
  2. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

Like I said on another post, somenights it helps and some nights it doesnt. Ive been on it for several yrs and havent had any problems.

Suzette
  3. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I have been taking 75 mgs for a couple of months now and it works so good for me...sleep wise. Yes - My mouth is extremely dry which is a pain, but the good sleeping results are worth it.

My rheumy explained it like this - for the Elavil to work as an Anti Depressant the dosage is 200 to 300 mgs. At levels of 25 mgs to 100 mgs it is a sleep aid and pain reducer. Since I've been on it I have experienced decreased pain so much so I rarely even have to take a tylenol.

Nancy
  4. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

Mine was so bad at the 75mg level, radiating into my left arm, that I had trouble even typing on the computer. I posted here about it, and took everyone's advice to see my doctor. They did an EKG, took my BP, sent me for a chest X-ray (all normal) and suggested a stress test.

Only at 11:00 p.m. that night did I realize that the onset of the chest pain coincided with the timing of the upping of my amitriptyline dosage from 50mg to 75mg. I checked the pharmacy instructions and sure enough - it listed chest pain as a possible side effect. I called my doctor first thing the next morning.
  5. nan2dance

nan2dance New Member

I never found a dosage that agreed with me. Did it help with sleep? Yeah. But I felt sooo bad the next day - all day, and sometimes the next - that I avoid taking it like the plague. Daytime effects included stupor, a heavy feeling in my chest, I felt like my heart was laboring, was working too hard, but everything - heart, breathing was slow, slow slow. Lightheaded and the sense of having low blood pressure. In fact, it exacerbated the very CFS/FM problems I take CoQ10 to help. Hate it. I hope you can find the right dosage. I know just how desperate it can be to get a good night's sleep! Just thought you should hear from someone who couldn't make it work.

~nan2dance
  6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I've taken 10mg at night for years, & sometimes increase it to 20mg if the pain or sleeplessness is bad. Any higher than that & I'd cease to function. I think we need to find our own dose for these things, within medical guidelines, & you seem to have done so at 10mg.
  7. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

Yes my rhumy just started me on them i`ll start
    with 1- 25mg. at night see how i do , i also have fibro
    and have lots of pain on my legs and i can`t sleep at night and have lots of pain ,,so i hope i can sleep ,,
    how long have you been taking this meds? amitriptytyline?
    i hope i don`t have any problems with this meds. ,,couldn`t take any mucsle relaxers they didn`t
    agree with me. ,,gmom,,,
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Doc put me on it last month because of leg pain at night. Helped some with sleep, but made me groggy 24-7. Also put on 5 lbs in a month. He took me off of it today and scheduled an MRI on my back for Wednesday.

No chest pain, just weight pain, oops, I mean weight gain!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  9. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

Prior to that I'd taken Flexeril 10 mg. for about 1 1/2 years, but it had really just stopped working for me. :-(
  10. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

I had lost 30 lbs. last year on Weight Watchers, and was having no problem keeping it off - my appetite had decreased so much that I didn't even have to count points anymore. Then I started the amitriptyline, and I gained 6 lbs. before I knew what hit me. :-(
  11. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Had several bad side effects/reactions. Tunnel vision, a feeling of numbness that everything was passing me by. Weight gain and then Dr. up'd my dosage way too much and was in a coma for 2 days. Not sure what happened but was in ICCU for 2 days in a coma. Bad reaction. It is used a lot and I'm sure does a lot of good for others. Just be careful. Good luck - Angelis
  12. zerped

zerped New Member

My daily dose of amitryptaline is 125 mg. It's for constant headache pain from my ME/CFIDS. I take meds twice a day, however, so I don't have the dopey feeling in the morning that others have mentioned. Right before I got sick, I was monitoring clients meds at a treatment center, and many of them complained about how it took all morning to get clear-headed. Now I take 75 mg before my nap and 50 before bed at night.

In the summer of '94, my dr. and I weaned me off the stuff entirely, to see if it was doing any good. Oh my, yes! I had not only headache pain, but worse fatigue than before and more vertigo/dizziness.

13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I used to take 10mg and that felt like a ton of it! It really is different strokes for different folks re med dosages. What works for one person, the dose, it may not work for another. I was beginning to think I was the only one who 10mg affected! Thanks for your post.
    Love Anne
  14. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I take a combination of Elavil/Librium. 100 mg of Elavil; 40 of Librium. I have had to reduce it recently to 75/30 because of a reaction with the antibiotics I'm taking for Lyme. My LLMD assumed it was the combination and not just the Elavil that was causing it and I have been slowly started back on the abx. But it sure does help me sleep. I had tried just Elavil in the past, but it didn't help by itself.
  15. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

from 20mg down to 10mg per night. Tiny amount, I think. Years ago I took it strictly for depression and I took 60mg I believe.

My new doc decreased my dosage because I was complaining about weight gain. Hmmm, he should have told me to decrease my Oreo intake as well.......

:)
    Kat
  16. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Good grief .. I'm on 100 mgs of the stuff and I still don't sleep more than 2 hours at a time .. pain is still a constant as well .. but may be it would be worse if I wasn't taking it .. is there something that works out there at all ?????????????????
  17. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I took it and immediately put on several pounds. I had no idea that the medicine had anything to do with it, but I was terribly hungry all the time.

I just happened to go to another doctor, and in conversation she said something about it causing weight gain. I said "what"??. The original doctor never even mentioned it. I think we should be told of side effects to be sure we want a certain medicine.

No way would I have taken a drug that made me gain weight. I would have asked for something similar without the side effect of weight gain.

So, that was my experience. (Same thing with Paxil, gained weight, when I quit it I lost several pounds).

Kinsie
  18. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

except for the part about the Paxil.

I thought it was just Christmas cravings and all of the cookies my MIL sent over that made me gain the weight, till I read it again on the pharmacist's instructions on the Elavil. (I really DO read that when I bring the Rx's home...I just didn't take note of it somehow, you know? And I take so darned MANY Rx's!)
  19. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

my primary physician prescribed 25mg amitriptyline..don't think he knew what else to do with me as none of his tests came back abnormal and I think he checked for everything!! Rheumy he sent me to went over everything and settled on FM. He prescribed tramadol and when I was taking 2 four times a day, he sent me to pain management. This doc is great! Spent mountains of time with me and substantiated the FM with myofascial pain too. He upped my amitriptyline to 50mg and then to 75mg to make me sleep more than 2 hours at a time. It helps so much with the pain!!! He also prescribed Lortab 7.5 every 6 hours for when it gets bad. Hope this helps!!
  20. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I've been on it now for almost a year at 70mg a night, and I've never had problems with the medication.

My parrot is on Amitriptyline as well for her obsessive compulsive disorder. She's doing very well on it as far as decreasing her symptoms, but she does have to take quite a few more naps during the day, and is outright pooped by the end of the day and goes to bed early.

She only takes 1 mg a day, though. lol

~Amanda