Those Of You With CFS and Depression, What Do You Take For Depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Apr 10, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have tried to not give into AD's but I feel I must give them another try. I did read until you treat the depression you will never start to mend with CFS. So those of you with CFS and Anxiety/Depression what has helped you? The OTC ones haven't worked and I am afraid to try but something has to give. I do take xanax for anxiety but it just isn't working like it once did. If I have to have this darn DD I don't want the depression if there is any help at all. I think I have tried most of the AD's but only short term. I do know I can't tolerate Lexapro so that's out. I have been thinking about the zoloft, seemed to have the least side effects for me.

Thanks and God Bless,
  2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

there was some old literature that said that people with untreated depression don't improve ...i remember cheney saying that...but i do not think that is the case.

i suffer from major depression and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. i still am depressed but my CFS is improving with antivirals.
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

I will try to find article on benzo's. Have you researched re-bound effects ? It sounds like part of the problem is the xanax.
    are you taking vit d?

didnt you say you started seeing a therapist?

I pray you find some peace
  4. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I agree with the poster who thinks part of the problem is the Xanax.

It has an incredibly short half-life and therefore leaves your system very quickly and you are probably getting rebound anxiety and maybe even the depression from being in constant withdrawal.

From your posts, I believe you should NOT come off the Xanax cold turkey but perhaps you may do better on a longer lasting benzodiazepine like Klonopin or Valium.

They stay in your system much longer and keep your moods steadier (so I've found)

Can your doc maybe switch you to one of those and perhaps add a low dose antidepressant that doesn't clash??

Gentle hugs,

Bunchy x
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I did see a psychiatrist and he tried different AD's then prescribed the xanax but now my PC prescribes it for me. I do not take the prescribed amount and she wants me to increase it, since I did try the AD's without sucess.

I had rather not but some days I think I should.

Sure wish the Remeron would kick in and you notice a big difference.

Thanks for your reply,
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Ladybug, I too wonder if the AD's is like positive thinking , neither work but there are days I don't feel depressed then days I feel so bad and on those days its like it has something to do with my head and sinuses , everytime it rains or snows then watch out the crying comes like the rain. So the ENT says take xanax. and often prescribes an antibiotic. I have seen and heard AD's help a lot of people but not sure if they had CFS.

3gs, yes I had my first appointment with the therapist last week, she hasn't a clue what cfs is and ask me about a pain clininic, I told her it wasn't the pain but the crazy feeling in my head and my mood. Sometimes I wonder if I have a brain tumor. I prefer seeing a psych but the good ones do not accept medicare.

Bunch, I am not sure if its the xanax or not I really don't think so . Maybe I am not taking enought I just know my body and mind is getting worse and the doctor doesn't seem to get it.
    I can not take valium it puts me in weird land. I did try the klonopin to replace the xanax and they gave me a zombie feeling.

Yesterday I was a basket case, cried most of the day and wasn't a pleasant person to be around so started my decongestant and antibiotoc cause I felt the sinus thing was coming , every time it rains or snows. Today I ache and am so tired but not depressed. Actually went to visit a friend in the hospital, stop by the drugstore and went to a gift shop and now trying to get some things done for Easter dinner.. It was when I was in the hospital visiting my friend
    I remembered I had not taken a xanax today, but did take one when I got home cause my body was aching. Hope I will be able to pull the Easter dinner over, if not the food will be ready just hope its not a crying day.

I sure think my symptoms are so weird, but I know they are CFS related.

Thanks to each of you for your input, and Happy Easter.

God Bless,
  7. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

it helps to see a therapist who specializes in helping people with chronic illness
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Whether depression makes your CFS symptoms worse or not, I think your particular situation warrants treating the depression and soon. You have struggled almost everyday with what I would consider (at least by your posts) some debilitating depression and anxiety.

There are two AD's that I couldn't tolerate. If I'd have tried them first and second, I never would have found what does work. Try them and give them a good shot. Can the symptoms be that much worse than how you're feeling? - That's something you'll have to decide.

Instead of suffering day after day, without much help with all of the other thing you've tried, I would suggest biting the bullet - have a Dr. who is willing to work with you til you find what does work. But you have to give it longer than a couple of weeks, unfortunately.

Many people I know, AD's HAVE made a huge difference in their daily lives. It just makes the grass a little greener.

9. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I agree with Janalynn - you need a doctor to work with you on what seems to be becoming a big problem for you.

So Klonopin an Valium were no good - shame.

Have you tried Ativan?

Agree with everyone the depression needs looking at properly as well as the anxiety though.

Love and gentle hugs,

Bunchy x

10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

has been greatly lessened by: meds, therapy, hospitalizations, Emotions Anonymous, vitamin D3,
    the B12 patch and the book Feeling Good by David Burns.

Nothing has improved my CFS. I have less energy every year. Have been struggling w/ CFS
    for about 29 years.

11. faithinlove

faithinlove New Member

The doctor has been giving my cymbalta. I have taken Lexapro and Zoloft and neither has helped me. Some articles have said that you may take Cymbalta for the pain of fibro as well as depression. I know it has helped the depression. I do not know about the pain though. You might discuss with your doctor the possible pros and cons of Cymbalta.
    I hope you had a great Easter. Faith

12. teller7

teller7 New Member

I've been taking zoloft for years. They needed to up my dosage but instead put me on prozac. That was a huge mistake. The prozac was NOT for me. I actually felt suicidal on that but the dr wouldn't go back to the zoloft until my hubby demanded it. And he said to up it and they finally did and the difference was remarkable. My depression is definitely under control now thank God. Of course remember that everyone reacts to medications differently so what works for me may not for you. But I'd give zoloft a try. And I think that zoloft is a safer drug than prozac myself. Good luck. It took about two weeks before I felt better so don't give up if it doesn't work right away.

13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi greatgran - Did you ever try 5-htp? I can't tolerate prescription ADs, but have no problem with 5-htp - it helps your brain produce serotonin, which is what hte ADs are supposed to do, without the sometimes nasty side effects.

One more thing - omega 3 fatty acids are very important for mental health. They can help with depression and anxiety. Here's a link to one article on

Google fish oil and depression - there's a lot more info.

Flaxseed is also a good source of omega 3's - I take that and fish oil softgels. You can buy flaxseed oil, but I used ground flaxseed and add it to yogurt.

Good luck --