Those on Lyrica -- Weight gain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shananegans, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

How many of you have experienced weight gain because of the Lyrica?

I was diagnosed with Fibro in 2000 and have tried every drug and regimen under the sun. I made the decision in 2004 to go on MS Contin (Morphine) because nothing else stopped the pain and I was unable to work or function and just wanted my life back. Then recently I made the decision to go off of the MS Contin because it's not pulling it's weight anymore and I do not want to increase my dose. The problem is that will leave me with nothing, so I'm going to try Lyrica since it's new and I haven't tried it before. I have already started taking it and it's been about a week, we are hoping it will help while I am weaning off the MS Contin.

My major concern is weight gain as I am already over-weight and just lost 17 lbs. I really don't want it back as it took 6 months to get it off. So I am curious as to how many people the weight gain affects, as well as the inability to concentrate, as I am also a student and need my brain to function and I'm already having enough issues with that just because I have Fibro. I don't need a medication to make it worse.

Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated. It's been a long time since I've posted!

2. hensue

hensue New Member

I canot take anything that has a stimulant in it.
    No weight gain we need help that just sucks when you take meds and put on weight for no reason.
    The only thing that did help was wellbutrin sr for me. I had gained 60 pounds on zoloft.
    I appreciate all the help too!
  3. nixon

nixon New Member

I've just recently stopped Lyrica (2nd time being on it) and YES it did make me gain weight.....about 10 lbs! It has also caused my Fibro Fog to be REALLY bad.....between Lyrica & Cymbalta......I've been A MESS !!

I'm only 39, and have ALWAYS had a great mind (memory, use of words, things like that) after this last round of Lyrica & Cymbalta ( I quit the Cymbalta about 1 mth ago, the Lyrica last week. It seems like I'm a "bumbling idiot"!! It also affected my emotions.....RAGE. I've always been a fairly mellow the slightest thing will set me off, it's truly unbelieveable. I hope it gets better now that I'm OFF of those 2 meds.

Some people have NO problems with it though!!!! So- You'll just have to see how it works for you. Let me mention too- I wasn't even eating more- less if anything and still gain weight, I don't understand WHAT it is with these drugs that cause weight gain.

Good Luck.............. Andrea
  4. tabby8

tabby8 New Member

i'm really interested in how you make out with this, as I am wondering if Lyrica is what has caused my weight gain. Sometimes i think it's just my metabolism slowing down as i age and that i should eat less, but if i quit Lyrica and lost weight, i'd know for sure it's the med.

I've had success with Lyrica as far as pain is concerned, but is it my only answer?
  5. nixon

nixon New Member

Hi I think it's something in the Lyrica ( cymbalta, celexa, effexor, ETC!)
    that slows the metabolism down. I KNOW that when I've taken the pills listed (above) they've ALL caused me weight gain- I don't know exactly what's in it/ or why it happens.....but it does!!!

I've found with me personally, I DO NOT eat more being on anything except (steroids-I've been on those for sinus inf.s and they cause an uncontrollable voracious appetite)....but with these they don't cause me to eat more YET I DO ALWAYS gain weight while on them.....and it's difficult to lose that weight even after stopping them. ( IN MY MIND- IT'S ALL SO CRAZY!!!) I've never been a "big" eater. I generally eat a little something (yogurt,or a bagel,or smoothie) for breakfast late in the am, then have dinner w/hubby around 5:30 or 6:00. (just normal size dinner--not pigging out) I've always been that way- I've never been a big eater!! Once in a while I'll have a snack later in the evening (fiber bar or granola bar). Right now I'm probably at least 15lbs. over weight....and I KNOW that it's DRUG INDUCED. I haven't been able to exercise the last couple of months, I'm hoping to get back to some activity SOON!!!! You'd laugh if you looked in my pants range from size 4-12!!! My weight has gone up & down like Crazy since being dx with FMS/CFS!!!
  6. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I also believe that Fibro slows our metabolisms so it's harder to lose weight once we've gain it and we have to be more careful what we eat because it all goes to the fat hot spots, thighs, stomach, butt, etc. I hate it.

Lyrica is kind of a last hope for me at this point. I've tried everything. I have to be careful what I take because the anti-depressants really mess with my head: give me nightmares, make me clueless and in a fog, make me extremely emotional, you get the picture. And I have asthma so most things that say they will worsen asthma, do. I tried Neurontin (even with warning about asthma) and couldn't breathe at all when I laid down, I was off it in less than 3 days. Have also tried Depakote ER (similar concept), same thing, eventually made my asthma worse. I know Lyrica could do the same so I'm being careful but the weight gain is more of a concern than anything. Gaining weight physically hurts for me and right now, I'm the heaviest I've ever been so I don't need help with that.

I also have a ridiculous amount of allergies so I have to be careful with that as well (and new ones pop up on a regular basis).

Hopefully more people say "No weight gain" then they do "yes weight gain" so I can at least try this drug. But if I get more Yeses then Nos, I'm not even going to bother.

Thank you everyone for your input so far and if anyone has suggestions for me, I'll take em! I've been in the game a long time but that doesn't mean I know it all. hahaha.

7. jmq

jmq New Member

First I gained some weight from the Cymbalta but it leveled out and it was gradual. I started the Lyrica and within a month I was eating everything in sight and put on 12 lbs! I have always been very thin...usually underweight so this is so drastic. I am already dealing with hot flashes and painful legs and feet...and to have the added weight makes everything worse.

So now I weaned off the cymbalta and switched to Wellbutrin. I was told the Wellbutrin can kill your appetite. I am hoping it will even me out with the combo of it and Lyrica. I have only been on it two weeks and I do not see any difference. I will keep you posted.

BTW, I love your username!

8. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I experienced LOTS of weight gain while on Lyrica, but, with my fibro so bad, I couldn't move either - so it could have been that too.

As far as concentration goes - TOPAMAX was the worst for me as compared to Lyrica, so I chose the lesser of two evils for me.
  9. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I have tied Lyrica twice, with very good results re. pain.

I must say that I am feeling better than I have in years.

Because I have less pain I can now exercise.

I go to a seniors class and we have an excellent coach.

I also upped my vitamin D intake to about 2,000mgs.

I guess it is the combination of every thing that has helped so much.

I am getting out and meeting new people, I joined a book club to exercise my brain and TOPs to keep my weight in line.

I do think that Lyrica makes me hungry and I really have to watch it.

I think that I will try swimming next.

Good luck with the Lyrica, I know from experience that meds can mess things up, but anyway for now Lyrica is for me.

BILLCAMO New Member

I'll throw out two things I've heard about :

1) the study showing Lyrica is good for pain may be flawed.......I saw that here.

2) Many people experience weight gal I know here put on 40# in three weeks.

It can help some people , but , the main concern of the maker is to make money.......IMHO.........

Blessings ,

11. SolSerenade

SolSerenade New Member

your stories re: meds and weight-gain .... i've been trying to pin down which of my meds recently caused a 15+ lb. gain ............ i eliminated Gabapentin thinking it was that. guess i feel slightly less bloated.

but, maybe it's partly Cymbalta, which i also take --- had been for a long time though before weight-gain.

the only other change was adding Avinza (morpine sulfate extended release) -- anyone hear of that kinda med causing weight-gain??

Thank you.
  12. Woodall1880

Woodall1880 New Member

My friend with FM took Lyrica and gained 20 pounds in 2 weeks. I myself am trying Methadone. It has been around since the 1940's when it was effectively used as a pain reliever well before it got the reputation of being used for heroin addiction withdrawl. It took a 2 months to reach the proper dosage, since your body needs to assimilate to it, but I do find it to be very effective in controlling my pain and it is very inexpensive ($10 a month without insurance). If you are interested, I would consider it carefully, do your own research and discuss it with your physician. But, it is another potential option.
  13. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I took Avinza for years with no weight gain. I had to switch to MS Contin CR because I lost my insurance ($250 a month for Avinza verses $30 for MS Contin CR). Terrific meds for pain! I hope Avinza continues to work for you. After 5 years of Morphine, I am now building a tolerance and end up with withdrawal before it's time to take the next pill. I am 30 mg once daily, weening down to 15 mg once daily.

I would blame the Cymbalta for the weight gain personally.

Thank you for your post
  14. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I have considered Methadone but I have concerns about the addiction factor. I am already addicted big time to MS Contin (Morphine Sulfate) and am trying to get off that due to tolerance build up. Do you know if Methadone causes the same issue? I've read it's addictive but what I would like to know is if it is as addictive as Morphine, where addiction is pretty much guaranteed or is there just a small chance of addiction like any other pain med?

Any thoughts?
  15. satchya

satchya New Member

I've been on Gabapentin for two months now and it helped a lot for about the first month, but I did absolutely gain weight. It didn't help much this month but I just figured out I've had a sinus infection all this time so that might be why I felt so crappy, not necessarily the gabapentin not working.

That said, I think I'm going to go ahead and wean back off of it. I hate the way it makes me so bloated and puffy. And my appetite went through the roof. I would be so good all day, less appetite than usual even. But then around bedtime every night I'd find myself mindlessly munching on all kinds of pretzels, cookies, rice krispie treats, etc. At first I thought I was gaining weight despite eating well. Then I got real and admitted to myself that I had been eating like a pig at night when I'm most tired and my defenses are down. Usually after I took my ambien, too, so I would have to try hard to remember that I had, in fact, eaten too much the night before.

I fought my obesity for years before getting to the healthy-ish weight I'm at now. Because I can't exercise as much as regular women before getting exhausted and ouchy, I really have to watch my calorie intake. I really think Gabapentin has put me back on the slippery slope towards obesity again. I can't live with that any more than I can live with pain. So I'm going to wean off of it.

Just wanted to share my opinion.
  16. tut90

tut90 Member

I was on Lyrica for about a month or so, I gain about 15 pounds while taking it. Once I stopped taking it I lost the 15 pounds, it difinitely makes you gain weight, I think it makes your body retain water, because I remember my legs were always swollen. Now I take Gabapentin and I'm doing ok with it, no weight gain.

17. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

The Lyrica made me gain 70 lbs. over about two years. And yes, a lot of brain fog but it helped so much with the pain.

While I was on the Lyrica I always felt hungry and even after eating a meal I was still so hungry.

Good Luck, you may be one of those people who don't have weight gain. Might as well try and see what happens.
  18. vivian53

vivian53 Member

Hi Shananegans. Your situation sounds familiar. I took MS Contin in whopping doses. It just drugged me up so much I couldn't think straight, but did know I still hurt. I got off it slowly and started Lyrica and Norco for pain.

My doc said I would gain weight. I have taken it since Oct. and haven't gained an ounce...but I have had to fight it tooth and nail. I think Nixon is right, it slows down our metabolism.

I follow a low carb diet. No sugar, white flour etc. I walk on my treadmill everyday....well don't get me to lyin' : ), almost everyday for 30 mins. This has allowed me to keep the weight off and even loose some to boot.

I am amazed at your ability to be a student and think clearly on the MS Contin. I do find myself feeling muddled but I don't know if it is the Lyrica or just this DD alone.

Good Luck,

19. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Being a student is by no means easy. I'm behind every semester and have to get extensions for everything, but for me it's worth the fight. I've waited too long for my bachelor's degree and will get it no matter what it takes. I had "brain fog" before the MS Contin, the med has actually been a godsend to me. I just don't want to be a slave to morphine anymore.

Everyday I have to take it at the same time and sit down and wait for a miracle, there has to be a better answer. And if by some chance I'm not home at that time, I have to rush to get there (rare but it happens) as I do not like to carry it on me. Every month I have to pick up a prescription, as refills are not allowed because it's a narcotic. It's all so frustrating.

Thank you for your post. If the weight gain in Lyrica is appetite driven and not medication driven, then I think I'll be okay. I'm good at controlling my appetite because if I don't, I'd eat all the time. I love food. hahaha.

20. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my post, it was very helpful and I'm going to talk to my doctor on Friday about whether or not weight gain on Lyrica is mostly because of gain in appetite. If that's truly the case, I'm going to go ahead and try it.

Thanks again!