those patients with CFS/FM any reason why PROLACTIN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by harmony21, Jun 13, 2008.

1. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

should be tested???? I have read various things here and although Iam not lactating my docotor feels it would be of interest what my level might be????

Any of you had this hormone tested????

Confusion reigns for this little poppet

many angel hugs to all

2. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I cannot imagine why they would be checking this. But I am not in the medical field.

I found this from wikipedia. Maybe he is checking your pituitary. Surely he/she is checking other hormones as well.

Diagnostic use
    Prolactin levels may be checked as part of a sex hormone workup, as elevated prolactin secretion can suppress the secretion of FSH and GnRH, leading to hypogonadism, and sometimes causing erectile dysfunction in men.

Prolactin levels may be of some use in distinguishing epileptic seizures from psychogenic non-epileptic seizures. The serum prolactin level usually rises following an epileptic seizure.[8]

[edit] Conditions causing elevated prolactin secretion
    Hyperprolactinaemia is the term given to having too-high levels of prolactin in the blood.

-Excess thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH), usually in primary hypothyroidism
    -Many anti-psychotic medications
    -Emotional stress

[edit] Conditions causing decreased prolactin
    -Excess dopamine
  4. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

I have galactorrea which basically means that I have milk production that I shouldn't have. My youngest child is 41/2 years old and I only nursed her for a couple of weeks when she was a baby. I had tests done and found out that I had Hyperprolactinemia, which basically means I have a high level of prolactin in my blood. There are very few things that can cause this with a prolactinoma being the most significant. I have it idiopathically, which means the cause is undetermined. A prolactinoma is a tumor on the pituitary gland and can be diagnosed with an MRI. Unless you have milk discharge from your nipples, I don't see what the use of this test would be for you.