Those taking Soma -- doesn't it make you sleepy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by RedB, Mar 29, 2004.

1. RedB

RedB New Member

I just read the post about muscle relaxants, and most of you prefer Soma.

Do you take it at night? or in the daytime? And doesn't it make you very sleepy?

I take Flexeril at night, and it helps me sleep, but I am afraid to take it in the daytime because it makes me so tired. Just interested in how Soma makes everyone feel.

Kathy
  2. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

Kathy,

I take Soma 350mg 3x day. It doesn't make me sleepy any more than I normally was before I started taking it. In fact I don't think it is making me sleepy at all. When I am sleepy during the day it is usually because I didn't sleep the night before.

Dee
  3. Sharon1226

Sharon1226 New Member

every 6 hours as needed. When you first start taking it, it can make you very sleepy, especially if you take it with painkilers or other med. Once you're used to it it's not so bad.
  4. dsstarkey

dsstarkey New Member

IME, Soma did not produce the sleepy or hungover side effects of Flexeril. Flexeril knocks me out, and even 10 hours later I feel drugged. If I take Soma and lay down, I am able to fall asleep easier. But if I take it during the day, it doesn't slow me down at all. I could NEVER take Flexeril during the day, and only use it on nights I can sleep in. WAY IN!
    Soma is the one the doctors usually raise an eyebrow at. DEA propoganda - some use it for recreation (don't mix it with alcohol), therefore it must be evil.
    And Zanaflex - worthless IME. Typically underprescribed, much more expensive than Soma, and the affects (or lack thereof!) are short-acting.
  5. opalgem

opalgem New Member

I only take the Soma at night to help with leg cramping. It helps some, and most nights I can get to sleep fairly quickly. I have never tried it during the day although I have been tempted.

It would make me a little leary because it is a relaxent and I already have problems staying awake through work. I also have a real fear of falling asleep at the wheel. I would try it on a day you can stay home and see how it affects you to be on the safe side.
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

at night! It makes me very sleepy!! but a GOOD sleepy....not like staggering~ It really relaxes the muscles so you feel tired/weak when up &about. But I'd take one and withinn a half hr or so...I'd bed the bones down for the night!!!aaaaaahhhhhh!! what a nice feeling it is too!!(LOL) Stinks for me cause my doc. will not prescribe them :(
    My last dr. did all the time!! a few yrs ago. I guess all good things come to an end.
    Hope this helps~
  7. lovesorcas

lovesorcas New Member

I stopped taking it, and I take baclofen, 10mg at night. I like it alot better, then any of the other muscle relaxers that the docs have given me.
  8. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

how different meds affect different people. Soma makes me sleepy, so I only take it at bedtime. I too take it with Lortab.

It works well. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2004]
  9. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

When I first started taking them, they did make me sleepy, but then I got used to that, I sometimes just take a Half with my Vicodin, so that I don't have muscle aches and Pain, and still not be sleepy.

When I take my Vicodin, Vistril, and Soma at night do I get Sleepy, and that is the goal, to get rid of the Pain so I can sleep.

During the day, if I have to go somewhere I wait till I get back before I take ANY Med's.
    Needless to say, I make all Errands, short and close to home.

I had bad reactions to the Flexeril, and the Baclofen, so I'm staying on the Soma.

If the Flexeril is making you feel hung over, you might want to try Soma, that is one thing it dosen't do to me, when it wears off, about 4 hours, no hangover, or the feeling that I Need to have another right away, I try to take them just every 6 hour's.
    Some day's tho, I have to squeeze in an extra one, because of Pain.
    Sincerely,
    sharonk
  10. kgtexan

kgtexan New Member

Soma alone does make me very drowsy. I take Soma for tension headaches. The muscles in my shoulders and neck tighten up and cause the headaches. The most effective treatment for me is taking a Soma along with an Excedrin. I find that if I take both, especially in the daytime, the caffeine in the Excedrin tends to counteract the drowsiness I feel from the Soma.
  11. PLP

PLP New Member

It knocks me out. If I just take one at night, I'm a zombie the next day. But I am very susceptible to drugs. One night I took a soma, then around 5 am was awake and hurting and took a Tylenol 3. That did it for me. I was sooooo completely drugged up all day. Couldn't get out of bed. Could barely call in to work.
    Peggy in FL