Those who take provigil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by christina38, Feb 5, 2009.

1. christina38

christina38 New Member

My Doctor gave me samples of provigil today, I am very excited to see what happens.
    I want to know, from those of you that take it, does your insurance cover it?

Because I'm worried it will only be covered if you have narcolepsy.
  2. smhaws

smhaws New Member

My insurance refused to pay for Provigil. So I coughed up the $225 (or thereabouts) myself.

I wish I'd been given free samples before hand, because on day three, I had a horrible panic attack due to the Provigil. My doc had said this might happen, due to my history of OCD and anxiety disorder, so I knew what to do and was able to handle it OK. Still, good money was wasted. Sigh.
  3. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I tried it 3 or 4 times, but it always made my myofascial pain worse. Much worse.

My insurance covered it, but with a huge deductible. I don't think what my insurance says has much to do with what yours will cover. Have you called your insurance company to ask?
  4. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I pay my normal $30 co-pay for my Provigal, I had to have a sleep study that showed I had sleep apnea for them to pay for it. Medicare will pay for it if you are DX with sleep apnea or narcolepsy.

I am so glad I qualified because it really helps me.

Good Luck,

5. jmq

jmq New Member

I do not have narcolepsy but my insurance is paying for it so far. I do not know what I would do without it! Between the provigil and Lyrica....I have a life again. I still can not work and have morning and evening severe least I have a few hours of the day back!

Hope you are covered,

6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I take Provigil occasionally. If I face a very long or hard day, I take 200 mg. early in the morning. It does help me stay alert and seems to help with the energy. It also aids in staying alert to drive.

The military is giving it to pilots and infantry to assist them in staying alert for long periods of time. One can become irrational if they take huge doses, as in 400 or even 600 mg. every eight hours for twenty four hours or longer. Obviously, this is abuse of the drug.

My insurance pays for it, but the deductible is around $50 for 30 of them. You may think of trying the samples and seeing how they work for you. Obviously, drugs effect different people in different ways. I would say that one needs to have good pain management attempts along with it as who wants to feel as though they have more energy but their pain is in the crapper.

If you have had a sleep lab, and you can demonstrate some of the sleep disorders seen in FM, then that sleep lab should qualify you for the drug. If it assists you, appeal and present them with your sleep lab, and get a statement from your doctor backing the use of it. With my doc, I write the small letter for him, and he signs it. I am medical, but speak with his/her nurse and get an idea of what he would say and then follow it. They are much more accomodating when they and their staff do not have to spend time writing these things.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I take Provigil 100 mg. when I get up. However, since I sometimes get up late, I only take 50 mg. My doctor wants me to take at least 50 mg. per day, but to be honest, I only did that for a few days. It did seem to help but I hesitate to take too much.

I had also read that the drug was originally made for the Air Force Pilots, however I was thinking that it did not work that well at higher dosages so they quit using it. I could be wrong. Supposedly higher dosages do not give you that much improvement.

If the government is not giving Provigil I wonder if they are given other stimulants. It is kind of scary that the Air Force would use stimulants for tired pilots. I would think it would would impair your judgement.

I do not usually crash on it unless I really overdo it.

My deductible for Provigil which is on the most expensive tier is $40.00. The pharmacist suggested having the doctor prescribe the 200 mg. and cutting them in half, so now I only pay $20.

Mine was approved without any problem but I also have sleep issues. I remember the doctor checking the box for fatigue (you think?) so that may have done it. Now they check CFS.

Hope this helps and keep us posted. The samples are a good idea.