Those who use helpful supplements Which ones How much?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Nov 4, 2006.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

To all those who are currently using supplements to improve your health, which are you using and at what dosagem and how frequently do you take them?

So some of these supplements I have (like the COenzymeQ10), I know probably the recommended daily dose isn't going to get the job done for FMS-ers so.. any first hand experience on how you use your meds and what dosage you had to get to to FEEL some real results would be helpful.

Thanks guys
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I always HIGHLY recommend the Fibro Complete Multi with Malic Acid to begin with.

I buy mine here at Pro Health and it's worth every single penny I pay. Hubby and daughter are on it too now and it helps both too.

My daughter (20yrs with FM and mental problems) thought it wasn't helping her so she stopped for about 2 weeks and couldn't figure out why she felt so crappy again.......yep, it was the lack of the Fibro Multi.

I also buy my Q10 here at PH and use the 50mg twice a day.

Neuro B sublinguals are also really nice for the light spring in your step you sometimes need to finish a project or go somewhere when you don't have enough energy.

I also recommend going slow with your supplements. Start one for awhile and see if it helps before starting another one. Some supplements take awhile to really seem like they're helping (like Probiotics for me) but they're well worth starting.

And a balanced calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement will help a bunch with muscle aches.

Do some research either here at the Pro Health store or on the internet or of course you can ask your doc too.

Hugs,

Nancy B

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I take 120mg CoQ10
    B complex
    B5 for painful feet
    some other supplements, evening primrose, garlic etc.

Nights I take magnesium, B6 and zinc.

I think CoQ10 helps me th emost

Rosie
  4. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Butterfly:

The other posts covered alot of what I take, but I will go through the list of supplements that help me. I always tell people though to make sure they check for other medication interactions and talk to their physician. Some meds and supplements do not mix and some of us react badly. Go slowly and only add one each week in order to rule out probelms. Here goes my list.

Good multi vitamin
    High Complex B
    Probiotic 2x daily
    omega 3/6/9 (flax, Borage, fish oil) 1000mg daily
    Calcium 1000mg make sure it has Vitamin D in order for body to absorb properly.
    Magnesium (500mg) at night-start slow or it can bother intestines.
    Malic acid 650mg at night

I use vitamin E however due to recent studies about some efficacy issues I have decreased to 200IU every other day.
    Hope this was helpful. Remember to check for interactions or problems.

Suz45
  5. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Like others, my "mainstay" is magnesium with malic acid. I also have found cod liver oil helps. I buy the peach flavored. This helps with FM problems like "frozen shoulder", etc.

I also supplement with calcium and Vit C. If you don't go out in the sun much, you might want to take a Vit D supplement, too.

Just my suggestions...
  6. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

The ones i like best are magnesium (1000mg)
    and d-ribose (5g 3 times a day)
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi! I've tried and take various supplements but it finally occurred to me that my body is its own person. That is, just because a certain supplement helps my friend doesn't mean it will help me at all. In fact, it might even hurt.

Same with dosage. With almost any drug or supplement I must reduce the dose or suffer great consequences. This isn't true of everyone.

So while knowing what others take can give us something to consider, we must try them ourselves after learning about our own bodies.

Just some food for thought.

Hugs,
    Marta
  8. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I can't say that I take a lot of supplements. I already take enough prescription meds!

One thing I have found that is helping me stabilize my weight as well as provide energy is Calcium Pyruvate 1000mg. I take it mid-morning and then go for a 1/2 walk. If I'm having a rough day, I take my pain pill before I go.

I have hypothyroidism along with all the other fun stuff, and even though it's treated, weight control is awfully hard with a a sluggish metabolism.

Some of the benefits I've noticed since I started taking it are;

1. My weight has remained stable for the past six months
    2. My cholesterol and lipid levels are completely normal.
    3. I have more energy.
    4. This one's weird.....my hair is growing faster and it's healthier.
    5. It seems to help with ridding the menopausal second tummy (the one above the first tummy). I find that I've lost some of that excess tire.

I've tried most of the other supplements recommended for FM but can't honestly say I've seen any great improvement.

Regards