Those with both CFIDS and FMS - which came first?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SoxFan, Sep 20, 2005.

1. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

It seems that many who post here have both CFIDS and Fibro. I'm just curious as to which syndrome developed first, or did they develop together?

I have had CFIDS for over 2 yrs. I have some aches in my lower back and neck. I don't know if they're due to my reduced activity level(hey, I'm not getting any younger either..), or may I be starting to develop Fibro??

Let me know YOUR sitch....
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

FM was first Nov 2003 Than July 2005 CFS.

Now osti arthritis.And going for more test this am they found something else NOT telling till all test are done.

I hope to know soon its driving me crazy.
    Sue
  3. achy

achy New Member

CF got me first...then FM.

funny thing though, the car accident that caused my fibro came long before the CF started.

AChy
  4. jess

jess New Member

I have had cfs for over 20 years. I just developed fibro after menopause 2 years ago. Lucky me. It is under control now and pain is mostly bearable and sometimes not noticeable. Jess
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Almost 15 years ago, I got sick with a mycoplasma infection which left me crippled and in pain for months. I recovered but was never the same and I suffered from fatigue. About six years ago. I was in an auto accident and developed FMS. My CFIDS also came on like gangbusters just after that.

The reason this is difficult to answer is because I can look back into early childhood and recognize, in hindsight, symptoms of FMS and CFIDS. Otherwise, I would think that my CFIDS came first and then the FMS. Some docs believe they are just different manifestations of the same disease. There is so much overlap in symptoms and yet, there are a few which to me are definitely one or the other.

Confused yet? When people say they had one or the other first, it may not be quite that simple if one looks at the whole picture. Sorry I can't be more definitive, but I think this is also good info and shows how difficult these illnesses can be to pin down.

Love, Mikie
  6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

My CFs started first after 'flu', & a couple of years it became severe with FMS. 16 years later I developed interstitial cystitis. I believe that CFS, FMS & IC are all symptoms of the same illness.
  7. Charleneyz1984

Charleneyz1984 New Member

Had cfs for 5 years and fibro for 2-3 years.

Funny how they start and seem to be connected but not sure how!
  8. jana15

jana15 New Member

CFS 6 or 7 years and fibro for 3
  9. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

Got the flu, had CFIDS for 9 months, then made a long cross country move and had fibro by the time I arrived.

happy, happy, joy, joy,
    eddie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2005]
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

incapacitated by it for 10. Fibro started 5 years ago.

I started getting throbbing pain in my thighs at night and would often wake up in tears. I also started having lower back pain and creaks and cracks in my neck. I realised this was something different from the CFIDS pain but hadnt even heard of fibro.

When I joined this board, I discovered fibro, went to doc and he tested my tender points and agreed I had that as well.

There is a map of the body showing the points on this board if you go to the info on fibro and you can test yourself.

Rosie
  11. Peace7

Peace7 New Member

I had CFIDS for several years before I had any symptoms of FM.

Anne