Those with Lyme - Where do you live?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Nov 17, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've been looking on the CDC website, and they have an interesting map of where Lyme has been detected.

Go to the main CDC website, select the A-Z Index, go to Lyme Disease, then Lyme Disease: Introduction. On the left side is Statistics. Then under maps, you can click on the Reported Cases. It is just the U.S. You can also look at charts and tables By State to see year by year statistics since 1994.

The heaviest reported cases are on the east coast and Wisconsin and Minnesota.

So where do all of you with Lyme live?

Katy
  2. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I grew up in Florida and spent summers in North Carolina. I do remember having dogs with ticks and having ticks on us periodically so I'm thinking I was bitten in Florida.

Not exactly the Northeast.

I'm in Northeast Georgia now but have been sick forever.

Sandy
  3. patches25

patches25 New Member

I have been wondering about the Lyme topic. You see I married a forester from a high Lyme area but personally didn't live in high Lyme area and only visited for 2 weeks back there. Was married nearly 29 years. (an ex now) I got sick after marriage. I use to wonder if he picked up something from a foreign country when he was in the war in 1951 and passed that on to me. But this Lyme topic is sure something for me to think about since I wasn't ill before marriage. My ex-sister-in-law had Lyme when we were there visiting.

A person just may not live in the areas but had a lot of contact with someone who did. We had ticks, mosquito bites, black flies etc on us everywhere we went it seemed. And now that I think about it, my daughter got very sick within a year of vacationing back there. That was nearly 30 years ago and we are still sick. For all of you who are thinking about Lyme, Thank You. E.
  4. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

On the lyme board I visit, there are whole families there with lyme.

There's also a mom and her two young children, 2 and 4. They got it from her. So it is possible that you contracted it from your husband.

Sandy
    [This Message was Edited on 11/17/2005]
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

in Georgia, home of the CDC in fact, where it is not supposed to be a "problem' at least officially. It's my son who has been dx'd definitely with active/chronic lyme, and has never been to the NE at all...

and I don't doubt myself and DH has it too tho...

my daugher also had rocky mtn, whether she has also a commonly associated disease that has lingered, I wouldn't doubt tho we don't have the $$ to test her. Altho she's been able to hold everything together fairly well, if she does have any of these tick diseases, I'd say she was getting neuro problems as most of her problems have been in areas of mood disorders, same as my son had to start.

all the best, V
  6. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I grew up in NE Ohio, lived in northern California for 5 years, and now in Washington State for almost 25 yrs. I don't know how or when I got Lyme.

I am reading that it's possible to be transmitted by mosquitos, and mosquitos love me, that could be it. Probably I'll never know where it came from.

It's totally under the radar screen of most doctors where I live.

My favorite CFIDS book that I've used as a reference is "Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, and Lyme Disease"...and even I missed seeing that I needed to be tested!! Now, with 20/20 hindsight, I'm seeing the connection strongly.

Take care,
    Hopeful4
  7. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I grew up in Missouri and had hundreds of tick bites in the Ozarks. I do test positive for lyme but don't remember having a bulls-eye rash.

Jan
  8. happygranny

happygranny Member

That is where I was bitten even though I now live in Manitoba. I started symptoms in 2001 and moved to Manitoba Oct 2004.

In Manitoba it is hard to get medical treatment because they insist there is no lyme in Manitoba. Guess they stop the bugs at the border!!!

I have just returned from seeing Dr. M in Hope and getting a clinical Dx of Lyme, now I await the confirming blood tests for co-infections.

Happygranny
  9. lilbird

lilbird New Member

I had lots of ticks as a kid. So did my brothers. I have had two in the last 10 years.

Cathy
  10. Juloo

Juloo Member

My husband, who had a bulls-eye rash the size of a dinner plate on his left hip two summers ago would have been bitten in Massachusetts (Cape Cod to be precise). He has not (yet) tested positive for Lyme.
  11. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I should have a very low risk of having Lyme since I live in Colorado. Only 5 people have been reported since 1994. However, I spent my first 21 years in Wisconsin where Lyme reports are high.

I haven't been tested. The tests are pretty expensive and it seems like they are not very consistent. One test says negative, get another type test and it says positive. Those kind of results don't thrill me.

Maybe I'll just move to Canada, eh, since they stop the bugs at the border. Too funny!

Katy
  12. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

Please read my post"Attention: All Florida Lymies we urgently need you!

Thank you!

Peaceful mind and body to all!

Marcia
  13. cerise

cerise New Member

I live in Oregon and was dx with Lyme a year after moving here from Northern Calif. Don't know when I got bit and didn't have the bulls eye.

If CDC info on Lyme is anything like they have CFS, I wouldn't put much stock into it. I'm speaking out of 18 years experience coming out of Northern Calif. Lake Tahoe area.
  14. ronter7

ronter7 New Member

I ended up with lyme about 10 yrs. ago while living in new jersey. originally from south dakota so when i came home it was really tough finding a Lyme doc, still is! even 10 yrs. ago i had a heck of a time getting the right testing done. take care all
    ronda
  15. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

And I would not trust the CDC map of incidences since the reported cased are far greater then the CDC reports so it does not accurately represent which lyme cases are where....

Firecop I agree with you. I was thinking the same thing.

I live in Rochester, N.Y.
  16. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

I agree with those of you about the CDC numbers not being acurate. Part of the reason is most Drs. do not recongnize or know how to recognize the disease.

There is an epidemic and most people are going untreated. Right now in the state of florida, there is not one LLMD and our HMO insurance will not pay for treatment.

We are fighting to get into the next Legislative session in February to introduce two bills. One is that all MDs must be trained to recognized lyme and the other is to require HMOs toi pay for treatment.

It is ashame we (Floridians) are having to travel out of state for treatment. I encourage anyone with Fibro or Chronic Fatigue to get tested be a lab such as IGenix or one simiular who is well known in diagnosing Lyme. Quest labs will usually show up nothing.

Peaceful mind and body to all.
    Marcia
  17. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

Lucky for me...I grew up on Long Island directly across the Long Island Sound from Connecticut (where the disease originated). I am from one of the highest risk locations in the Nation. My father and best friend have both found ticks on them in the past 6 months alone.

"Tick checks" are pretty standard for us in the summers.

I was tested by the FFC last week...I'm assuming it's going to come back positive for Lyme.
  18. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

I have always lived in Kentucky and was bitten by a tick here when I was 5.
  19. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

It seems like several people think the CDC map is not very accurate. That there are far more cases of Lyme than show on that map. That makes sense to me. Does anyone know of a more accurate map?

It also seems like the consensus is that the Quest Diagnostics test for Lyme is not very reliable and the IGeneX Western blot test is far superior. Anyone know what the rate of false positives is with the Igenix? That is, people who test positive for Lyme, but don't really have it.

Katy
    [This Message was Edited on 11/28/2005]

[ advertisement ]