Thought I had lung cancer told I have FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clementi, Nov 12, 2006.

1. clementi

clementi New Member

I eventually plucked up courage to see a doc about the pains in my chest i have had in varying intensity every day for the past six week. I've had the pain before over the past few years and I always associated them with my smoking habits. I cut down drastically two years ago and completely when these pains got bad in September. In the past I usually experienced this kind of chest pain if I had smoked too many cigarettes that day or idf I had smoked a j.
    Needless to say I was taken aback when my doc told me that my heart seemed sound and that I didn't have signs of lung cancer but that it was FM - something I had never heard of before. At the start of this year I came off all my mood medications quite sucessfully but having read some of the info on FM I wondered if this may have effect the FMpains in my chest. I was taking 150mg of Lamicton and 900mg of Lithium and about 4-10mg of Valium.
    I would aso like to know if dietary supplementation may help. My nutrition is generally very good but I think I have a deficiency of something as I get painful cramps in my feet (and to a lesser extent my calves) at night. Any comments appreciated.
  2. clementi

clementi New Member

Thank you.
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

clementi:

I agree with your other responder. And a second opinion can never hurt.

From possible lung cance to fibromyalgia? Why not get 'double-checked'?

Stay strong, clementi.

nyrofan
  4. clementi

clementi New Member

Thank-you. I saw my doctor yesterday and asked for a second opinion so I will go for a chest xray tomorrow.
  5. clementi

clementi New Member

Thank you fight4acure. Time for bed in S. Africa. Will look for your post tomorrow night. Thanks again.
  6. clementi

clementi New Member

I've taken mood medication for many years - lithium for the last six when the doctor changed his dignosis from depression to BPD (but I have not had much confidence in the diagnosis nor medication; but as you mention it I have suffered very bad migraine like headaches almost all my life.
  7. bluewing

bluewing New Member

decades ago when my chest never stopped hurting. Does it hurt more when using your arms, as in cooking, washing dishes, etc? Back in those days I would work a while then rest 10 minutes, and then I would go a few more minutes. That was many moons ago...and now I'm happy to get my washing done, the bed clean, (and myself.) I do little cooking.

I, too, wondered if I had cancer, but the years kept going and the pain got worse. It is in my chest, and if I don't rest it goes through to my back and shoulders. Unbearable pain. The only thing that helps me is REST, and ten minutes doesn't do it anymore. (It all started in my shoulders and chest.)
  8. clementi

clementi New Member

Thanks bluewing. Do you know what the cause of you pain is, and how do you treat it?
  9. bluewing

bluewing New Member

It has gotten worse as the years have gone by, and as I said, the only way it gets better is to rest. I've had to learn to deal with it, and as we know, no one understands except another person in my shoes (as here!) I'm very much cheered by the help from mirapex, it's enough to give me hope that one day there will be something even better.

You have to be careful not to get to (what I call) the melt-down stage. Once its sets in it takes days to recoup. I'm talking about bed rest by this time. I have cfs and other problems also.

Everyone is different...to a point...yet, we're all so much alike.

Relax...see if it gets better..