THOUGHTS ON YOGA...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lgp, Mar 19, 2007.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I started yoga three weeks ago and feel as if I am going into a mild flare since I started the class. Has anyone had negative results with yoga? I was really looking forward to it but I may stop it if I start feeling worse. Please let me know what your experiences, positive and/or negative were with yoga and fibro.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

Maybe you need a gentler form of Yoga. There's a good video available called "Yoga for the Rest of Us" by Peggy Cappy. The "rest of us" it's geared to are the elderly and people like us.

It's been featured on TV (PBS) and looks like it might be what you're looking for. Cappy starts out with warm-up stretches and modifies standing Yoga poses so that they can be done with a chair. One can do either one 20-minute segment, or the entire workout at one time.
  3. lmlynley

lmlynley New Member

No Flow or Bikram - they are too strenuous for people with chronic medical conditions. Slow Hatha Yoga is best. Also, do not stretch fully, go 30-50% extensions to begin and work up SLOWLY to 70-80%. DO NOT stretch 100% ever. Good luck!
  4. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

I take a 1.5 hr. once a week Yoga class at the community center near where I live.

Agree that a gentler Yoga class may be helpful.

Prior to getting sick with CFS, I used to take Yoga at the health club and it was much more intense than what I do now (although it was fine when I was healthy).

So, before I took this one, I asked instructor if I could try one session and told her about my limits with standing (not more than 15 minutes at a time). It's gone real well, gentle but still leaves me warm at the end of the session and definitely builds strength, flexibility, and balance.
    1.5 hrs. sounded like a lot but the last half-hour is really lying down and resting. No post-exertional malaise.

Also, when I was looking, some yoga studios have 'restorative' Yoga which is mostly resting poses and even less strenuous.
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hatha yoga that is tailored to what I am comfortable with is a wonderful method for stretching out tension and relaxing muscles near bed time ..
    If you are trying to hard to "see" results that would be a negative factor .. or even if you are going through a flare and didn't recognize that when you were doing the yoga ..

A huge factor for me is warming my major back and hip muscles with a heating pad to relax them before I even start my routine.

I'm sorry you are feeling what you think may be negative reults .. rest up .. and perhaps try it again later on ?

Good Luck !
    Joy : )
  6. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

have a day or two of rest in between practices. It seems that I have to do that, and my yoga routine is very easy.
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I went to yoga classes for a while. Note that I am physicall in fairly good shape--I can walk (at a quite moderate pace) a couple of miles, etc.

I was taking 90 minute classes for a while. Some days they were fine, some days they were way too exhausting. The standing poses were particularly bad for me, and I learned not to do them. I am not good at standing in one place ever, and doing it in conjunction with a yoga exercise is worse.

I let the instructor know that I had CFS, and then sometimes I would skip whatever poses or just do a couple of repetitions. Once she knew that I wasn't having problems or "getting sick," and that it was normal for me, it was fine. No one else in the class cared whether I was keeping up.

After a while, I learned what poses were best for me and developed a short (maybe 20 minute) routine that I started to use at home on a regular basis. I think that helped a lot. I don't have any fibro per se, but my muscles get stiff and I feel like a lot of times I have "blocked energy." Really good acupuncture or massage can move that energy, but yoga is much beetter. (My doctor's neural therapy shots move the energy much better, but I can only have that done once every several months.)

As with all things CFS, doing less than one thinks one can is important. (This may or may not be as important for plain fibro.) I never felt totally crashed the day after doing too much, but it definitely hurt if I pushed the limits.

Anyway, i think the best thing to do in the classes is to learn how to do the poses correctly and to figure out which ones seem to help the most and fit the best. Then doing them on one's own (_maybe_ with occasional refresher courses) may work best. It's a lot of trouble to drag oneself to class, and I found that more frequent exercise was a whole lot better than infrequent long sessions anyway.

Best, Lisa

8. sascha

sascha Member

it causes worse CFIDS symptoms and i have to quit. once i went to a yoga class, wound up going to PT because of problems from the yoga, then had to quit PT. such activities aggravate and don't help.

how i wish i had answer because i desperately need and want exercise. i've started doing just a few of the PT exercises in bed. but i don't do reps- i just take a position for strengthening or promoting flexibility and hold it for a short count, then rest, thoroughly rest, between positions. but i don't think i can even do that.

it's discouraging. i will keep searching for answers and wish you luck- Sascha
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

At one point I read that a survey had been done of all the various things that a sample of CFS patients had done that they believed actually helped their health. According to this survey, yoga came out toward the top (maybe at the top).

Of course, I don't know that this was a scientific study. And I would imagine that the people participating might have been in better physical shape than the ones on this board, since I tend to think the folks here are somewhat more ill than average.

Still, even a little yoga (hamstring stretches, twists, moving the spine up and down when on the knees) can help a lot, I think.

I wish I could explain how to do the poses I like here, but it's complicated to write them down. Being shown them is much simpler.

Best, Lisa

10. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I tried a yoga for people with fibromyalgia and was unable to do it! They wanted me to be barefooted and I can't be without shoes.

I bought a tape on Tai Chi with David Carridine. They have a set of 7 exercises called "Opening the Gates" which I do most every day. The number of repetitions vary depending on how I feel. This series of exercises is very gentle, all from a standing position, takes about 10 minutes and seems to get my blood circulating.

I also feel it helps my meds get through my system quicker.

Hope you find something that works for you.
  11. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

Hi All,
    I posted awhile ago with info. on a Yoga for CFS/ Fibro. course/ seminar at Kripalu Center in Lenox, Mass. It is at the end of April. I have attended it for the past three years and always learn something new. It is run by an M.D., Michael Cheiken from the Phila. area. He is a ( physiatrist ) M.D. and uses Yoga as a vital component of helping CFS, and Fibro.
    Kripalu is non profit and it is pretty cheap to go up there. I'll bump my other post.

dvdav
  12. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

13. forfink

forfink New Member

Good thing about yoga is that the true essence of yoga is about doing what is good for your body. If you go to class and feel comfortable doing just half the posses, so be it..........Have studied under an awesome teacher for 7 years, I love it so much. When things get to be too much, I pause and do "child's pose", or just lie on my back and do slow hip rolls. Lots of deep belly breathing. Forget power yoga or anything that puts fast paced exercise in your routine, so many of us just can't do it!!!!
  14. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody for all your responses. So many things regarding fibro is very confusing. Thank goodness everbody is here for insight and clarity. I did not go to my yoga class this week and I feel better, but I will go back Friday and speak to the instructor before class. She seems very approachable and has so many return students (this is Adult Ed)--she must be doing something right. Thanks again and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Best--lgp
    [This Message was Edited on 03/24/2007]