thread for simple PROTEIN RECIPES

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

My doctor wants me to eat more protein, but I'm too sick to cook, and have too many food sensitivities to eat prepared (canned, frozen) food. So, my younger brother has agreed to help me by doing some cooking.

What are some protein recipes that would be simple enough for my brother to make? Or just any good ones that you would like to share?

Also, are there any companies that make healthy, fairly additive-free food that I could try?

Thanks!
    ((love)) Shannon
  2. darude

darude New Member

I have some info from a friend who is in remission from CFS she has lots of great info I will giv eyou her site so you can read. Also she will send you a book (for free) on her journey.
  3. windblade

windblade Active Member

Just to start off with some quick ideas, you can buy frozen shrimp in a bag, defrost in the microwave, and it's great protein. Chicken chunks you can buy pre-cooked. At the health food store there are dinners with balanced foods, like Amy's Asian noodles, lots of different kinds.

Start with foods that you like. I just finished reading your other post where your Dr. said that you were severely malnourished, to the point of it being life-threatening.

I'm adding that here, so people realize how crucial it is, that you follow your Dr.'s guidance.

I saw on your other post that you were only eating 3 or 4 foods in a similar category. So variety is really important.

My CFS Dr. said that the more kinds of food we eat, the less we will get food allergies.

Will be praying for you also Shannon, big time! You are a wonderful person and a blessing to all of us here. We're going to help you build up your strength.

Much love and blessings!
  4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Shannon, I am not familiar with your problems as a poster mentioned above. However, I do have a lot of food allergies and recently made an appointment with a nutritionist. She advised me that everytime I eat to have some protein.....not an easy feat, especially eating a snack....is chocolate a protein????

I have wheat, yeast, soy, citrus, corn allergies.

Recently I have tried Quinoa (which also is gluten free.)

1/4 cup of Quinoa contains 6 grams of protein. Quinoa was very important to the Inca culture and referred to it as the mother grain. It contains more protein than any other grain. It is a complete protein also.

Quinoa grain comes in two "flavors" there is Inca Red which is really unusual, and the traditional Quinoa. You can eat it alone, or put a "sauce" over it, as simple as fresh tomatoe with garlic, or ANYTHING, my dil, whom I was visiting last week in Cleveland, put a meatball dish over the Quinoa. I had brought it along when they had pasta but she said, nope, we will eat the Quinoa!

It does come in flakes also and cooks in the microwave as a hot cereal, and I find the flakes tasteless, but I cut a piece of fruit in it and down it goes.

It is easily digestable also. Keeps well, like any other grain.

Good luck, Fondly June

[This Message was Edited on 04/21/2006]
  5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I have to agree with hangininthere; peanut butter is a great source of protein and also you need that Ensure if you can drink it.

When I went through my divorce, years ago, I couldn't eat anything. I worked for a Dr. and he told me that if I didn't start eating that I would end up in the hospital with tubes in me. That scared me at the time so I began literally forcing Ensure down, using a straw. I do believe that saved me from dehydration. After a while, I took a liking to the strawberry. You can also buy the store brand; it's less expensive. I did.

Take care and wishing you well!

BlueSky555
  6. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I buy the boneless, skinless chicken "fingers", toss them in the microwave for about 2 minutes and cover them in canned gravy (one with no sugar, and few additives). Tasty and full of protein.

I also eat protein bars - there are only a few out there without sugar, so be careful.
  7. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Does anyone else get VERY hungry after eating an apple??? This does not happen with other fruits.....with me just apples.

June
  8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Can you eat eggs OK? We are able to get fresh farm eggs from a neighbor (we buy them) and they are wonderful. A lot richer in nutrients than the supermarket variety. Maybe you could get your brother to cook them up each day for you....hmmm? I'm glad you are open to your doctor's advice and are looking for ideas... take care, Terri
  9. BethM

BethM New Member

I agree with Stormy. If you read the ingredients, you will see sugar and oils and chemical names you cannot pronounce. If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.

You are better off eating scrambled eggs or a piece of cheese and an apple.

There are also healthy juice and protein drinks at the healthy food stores that would be easy to drink and digest.

You also might check out JuicePlus on the internet. Just a thought.

sending healing energy to you!

Beth.
  10. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I had gastric bypass surgery so I have to eat lots of protein too. There is a board with recipes (low carb/high protein) that I try to keep up with. Go to advancedwls.com and click on recipes.
  11. windblade

windblade Active Member

Another easy thing to have would be organic canned soups, ones with chicken and noodles, or rice. Clam chowder. Lentils, or split peas. All will have some veggies in them too. And you can go low sodium - whatever you need. Great variety there.

Your brother could just boil some eggs, and you would have them ready to eat, a little at a time. Small wedges of a good cheese are good protein.

Along with peanut butter, there is soy butter, or cashew butter. All organic, if possible.

I have to agree with Stormy about the Ensure - I was taking it when I was bedridden, and there are so many sugars in it. But I have hyperglycemia.

Also, I was thinking that the more your brother does simple things at first like reaching in cabinets, getting things from the fridge, etc. - it will save you the energy to eat.

Sending you blessings and prayers, dear Shannon.