Three more days, and I will have made it...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Callum, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Callum

Callum New Member

For all of you that put out "good thoughts" for me, I wanted to give you a quick update.

In three days, the last production of the summer will close, and I will have made it through! AND I was able to go to the gym every day, too (of course, no cardio - that sets me on the road to a terrible flare).

I had a couple of rough days, but I learned things. And I put to use some of the cognitive/behavioral therapy I've spent so much on the last couple years.

When I had a rough day, I didn't look forward. I didn't say "How am I going to make it the rest of the summer if I have a flare?" I just took care of my self. Took a three hour nap. Ate extra-well. Asked for what I needed. And within a day or two, I was back to where I could function.

Also, I learned to say "no" with no guilt (thus, with no anger, either). And I learned that when I was able to say no from a healthy place, rather than get frustrated because I was being pushed to hard, people were so receptive!

In the past, I would get so angry when pushed. I would think : "I told them I have CFS. I told them what I can and can't do. Why are they expecting me to do this?" What I learned was, look, they try to understand, but no one can know unless they've experienced first hand. Also, they have their own issues they're focusing on - like, in my case, getting three plays mounted in five weeks.

So they appreciated knowing that, if I was being asked to do too much, I would speak up. They needn't be concerned about me all the time (which can be a drain.) So I gave a 100% when I could (which was most of the time), and then on those occasions where running a scene one more time would be detrimental to my health, I'd say "I'm sorry, I can't - can we pick this up tomorrow?" And I never, NEVER received any attitude at all. Nothing but support!

The consensus was that, contrary to my fears, having a company member with CFS was not high-maintenance at all. And I feel like I could do it next summer!

Thanks again for all the support before I left for this job - It's hard to look back and think that I didn't believe I could make it!

Now, if I can just get through the rest of the year...

2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good to hear from you, Callum. I wondered how it was going for you.

It sounds like you've learned to live in the moment and take the pressure off yourself. Good advice for all of us. Don't you think it requires total dedication to a goal? As I write that I'm aware of people who're saying I'M DEDICATED! but still have trouble reaching goals. Perhaps it has to to with having two goals: a long-term one in which we set reasonable expectations for ourselves and others, and a short-term one; getting through each day with no "shoulds" on ourselves. Getting out from under self-imposed pressure. Whatever it took, you did it.

I'm proud of you.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

There's an oxymoron for you. Glad to hear from you. I was just saying to Gordon last week, we haven't heard from that ham in Chicago, I mean that talented young actor...

Anyway Congratulations and Bravo. (Or Brava if you're Italian.)

We want a full report w/ photos, copies of reviews, fascinating back stage gossip, etc.

Sounds like the summer has been a wonderful learning experience for you w/ re: 2 managing the DD, using cognitive therapy, and managing to do what you love doing.

Great to see such a positive post here. As Marta says, we are all proud and happy for you.

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Well-done on getting through your summer, physically and psychologically.

Three plays mounted in five weeks? Holy cow. And not one-acts, I take it.

Very glad to hear you are doing well, and I hope this coming season and next summer, too, go equally well.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Love, Mikie
  6. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Great news. A good experience to share. Thanks, Your Mr Bill
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Congratulations!!!!!!! What a balancing act that must have been at times.

Looking forward to some pics...

Nancy B
  8. ckball

ckball New Member

That is great. I am a big believe in positive thought and feel it is a big factor in our dds. You had the right attitude and beleived you could do, even tho at first you weren't sure. Then you made it threw one show at a time and your confidence grew and then you knew you could do it.

So many of us can get caught up in the "I can't do it" but you have to at least try, then find out we are much more able to more than we believe we could.

The mind is an incredible tool, we just have to have faith. I am very happy for you-Carla
  9. Callum

Callum New Member

I have very little computer access, but tomorrow I will try to respond to each of you individually. When I get back to town, I look forward to finding out how everyone is doing!

Till then, with much thanks.