Threelac

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marlene35, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Is Threelac a probiotic or does it just kill the yeast? Also, does anyone know if the Threelac has FOS in it. I have been told by my doctor not to take anything with FOS as it not only makes the good bacteria grow will but also make the bad bacteria grow.

I would like to try Threelac but need to have this information first.

Thank you for any help.

Marlene
  2. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Bump

Thanks.
    Marlene
  3. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Have any of you tried Threelac. If so, please answer the questions that I have asked. Thank you so much.

Marlene
  4. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

*I missed your original question as to whether FOS is in Threelac or not. I have read but really I don't know! Here is the ingredients per the manufacturer:

ThreeLac Ingredients: Lactobacillus Coagulans (200 million CFU), Bacillus Subtilis (25 million CFU) Enterococcus Faecalis (25 million CFU), Lemon Juice Powder, Refi ned Yeast Powder, Fiber.
    ==================================

I can't find a specific reason why your doctor would not want you to take this, except for this:

"Note that this substance also promotes/supports the growth of Klebsiella, E. coli and many Clostridium species which are considered non-friendly bacteria in the gut."

Maybe that's a good enough reason, lol.

================================
    From Wikopedia

Fructooligosaccharide (FOS)

Health Benefits

FOS has been a popular dietary supplement in Japan for many years and is now becoming increasingly popular in Western cultures for its prebiotic effects. FOS serves as a substrate for many bacterial species in the large intestine, increasing the overall Gastrointestinal Tract (GI Tract) health. It has also been touted as a supplement for preventing yeast infections.

Note that this substance also promotes/supports the growth of Klebsiella, E. coli and many Clostridium species which are considered non-friendly bacteria in the gut.
    ===========================

I have never taken this product and never will. It also has a bacteria enterococcus faecalis, that is known to live in our guts and later becomes feces.

The Threelac people say that the Japanese have a unique way of making it harmless.

I cannot see the FDA allowing this product to be sold if it were dangerous, even though it is a supplement.

So it is probably safe or we would hear about it on "Sixty Minutes" or something like that, lol.

If I searched long and hard enough, I would probably find out why this bacteria is harmless. I just don't feel like it.

================================

Enterococcus faecalis is an opportunistic bacterium that has become one of the most troublesome hospital pathogens. It has intrinsic resistance to many antibiotics and a remarkable capacity for developing resistance to others

Enterococcus faecalis is a Gram-positive, facultatively anaerobic, cocci which occurs singly, in pairs or short chains. It is a normal inhabitant of the intestinal tract and female genital tract.

Scientists have identified a virulence region never seen before in the genome of Enterococcus faecalis - a leading cause of bacterial infection among hospital patients. This bacterium lives peacefully in the human gut, but it also thrives on wounds and burns. Researchers have identified a group of genes that may contribute to the bacterium's transformation from being harmless in the gut to a menacing invader.

There has long been concern about the dangers of antibiotic resistance and its implications for the return of infectious diseases that cannot be effectively treated. It is argued that hospitals are not only spreading bacteria from patient to patient, but are also harbouring a tougher breed of bug-one that is resistant to antibiotics.

The sequencing of the genome reinforces knowledge of the remarkable fluidity of the bacterial gene pool. This fluidity allows bacteria to exchange DNA to enhance their ability to cause disease or their resistance to antibiotics.

Generally these microbes live harmlessly in the intestine however until the entire genome was sequenced, scientists did not realise that a quarter of enterococcus' genome is made-up of mobile DNA and within these regions are genes for vancomycin resistance and for virulence. Vancomycin is the last-resort antibiotic in fighting infection.

Enterococcus faecalis is extremely hardy and can survive for weeks on environmental surfaces; cheese - 180 days; soil up to 77 days; soiled linen up to 90 days, cultures at -70? C for several years.

Hierarchy Description:

Genus: Enterococcus
    Species: faecalis
    Strain: V583
    Genome accession number AE016830 [AE016947-AE016957]
    EMBL reference Medline reference
    Taxonomy: 226185

[This Message was Edited on 04/17/2007]