Throat spasm/Lost voice/trouble swallowing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by starmom, Apr 23, 2006.

1. starmom

starmom New Member

I am in a world of hurt here. My throat spasmed this eve, neck muscles won't let me lift my head. It is hard to swallow, look up, and I have lost my voice! All since this afternoon!

I know I overdid it at the Art Festival yesterday, but I have never had this happen like htis!

Hubby says he had a cold once that did this. I think it is a group of muscles that have been tight that just freaked out.

should I go to my doc if this isn't better tomorrow? The pain is bad, but I have had worse. I am mostly worried b/c I have to concentrate to swallow.

I am breathing fine, moving plenty of air, just hard to swallow!

HELP!!

Susie
  2. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i would suggest the emergency room..,you might have spit go into your lungs when you go to sleep tonight and that coulod cause pnemonia...
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

your glands are swollen too in your neck/throat area. You better keep a close eye on this. I would go to the doctor if it don't get better real soon. It might affect your breathing too or you might accidentally choke. Let us know how you are doing.

Kriket
  4. ansel

ansel New Member

I too have had this and it usually followed my eating something acidic like pickles. Maybe you ate something you are slightly allergic to? Mine always stopped after a few minutes though by massaging my throat muscles and drinking milk.
    Ansel
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Panic attacks... Hope it went away. Lots of different options listed here. Let us know.

Sue
  6. starmom

starmom New Member

All is not perfect this am with my neck and throat, but is much better. I didn't eat anything acidic to trigger this, it just sort of came on suddenly.

Wasn't a panic attack, I have had those and NEVER had this reaction. The muscles on my neck were tight as could be, so painful to even touch.

I did call my doc this am and let her know about this. Maybe, if her assistant gives her the message, she will have some idea what to do next time it happens.

Susie
  7. bevnelson_2000

bevnelson_2000 New Member

hi i'm new here-i too have been having this problem not as bad as you though-i don't understand why mine started about 2mos. ago.i had surgery(colon repair)it left me in bed and very weak for 10 days,every since then if i try and swallow more than a few sips one right after the other-i chock up so when i take it slow the problem seems better,hope you find an answer or/and get better.bev
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

For me,I discovered if I rub my chest muscles and upward to my throat,I am able to swallow.Anyway,it works for me.Linda
  9. findmind

findmind New Member

I had this once...I actually had pics of my vocal cords taken (wow, that was sure a process!).

I had slime all over vocal cords and they didn't open and close right...was a viral thingy they said...

Maybe some Vit. C. could knock it out of you, but if it persists, I sure would get drs appt, esp. if they don't get back to you.

You were at art festival? Maybe you are having a reaction to something you encountered there? Was it outside? Were mold counts high? Was there anything unusual there?

Hope it just disappears...like NOW!
    findmind