Throbbing Big Toe

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lucy1953, Jun 3, 2006.

1. lucy1953

lucy1953 New Member

Has anyone had a really sore big toe- kind of the burning, throbbing kind of pain when you bend it specially when going down the stairs. It is not red but feels swollen/mostly on the top of the foot. I don't have any bunions and I am positive I do not have gout because my mother had gout and her whole foot was red and swollen. This feels like the joint below the big toe on the foot- any ideas?
  2. shetin

shetin New Member

Hi,

I hate to burst your bubble, BUT.....

The A-number one symptom of gout is a sore big toe. Your doc can verify with a blood test. I think your uric acid test comes out elevated. If I remember correctly. Which sometimes now days I have problems with. Remembering, that is.

Sherrie
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Stay away from shellfish and buy yourself some cherry juice at the health food store to drink daily. After you see your doctor to confirm, that is...

If the pain is especially bad on the outside of the bone on the inner side it could be a bunion from your shoes pushing the big toe inward. Those suckers hurt too!

Marta
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

Does sound like gout
  5. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Have you seen a Podiatrist concerning this? Make sure you don't have an ingrown toenail because that can cause the entire toe to hurt. Hopefully you can get it checked out.

Laura
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I sometimes use baking soda.
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I get it on one big toe, no redness, but some swelling, more of a fullness and it spreads to the top and side of my feet sometimes. In really humid heatwaves I get it somewhat in the other foot, but mostly the top and sides and up the ankles too.

Eating about 10 cherries for a few days works wonders. Baking soda is goo din a pinch, as are other alkalizing remedies like AlkaSeltzer or cheap knockoffs. Drinking a good herbal tea that detoxes like dandelion and catnip helps alot too.

Jeanne
  8. charliemax1

charliemax1 New Member

My Gout was not limited to one toe...it was hell the bottom of my feet felt like i had walked across hot coals and i had blister across the bottom and along the sides. my gout not only hurt when i put my foot on the floor to take a step it hurt when i lifted it up...and this was my latest and mildest case.
    My first real case was in Illinois and the weather had taken a plunge ..it was very cold...we had come to Illinois for the birth of new grandbaby...and we ate lots of fast food...and restaurant food and packaged easy to prepare meals...not my healthy stuff...i also ran out of water pills...
    An epsom salts bath lowered my swelling so we could drive home to MO...by this time i literally had to crawl into the apt, ..My husband had to bring me a wastebasket to urinate in as i could not walk to a toilet.. My Rheumy Doctor sent me prednisone by the time i had had the 6 th pill ny feet/ankles legs begin to ease up...the first night i could only use a sheet on my feet...the weight of a blanket hurt....i could no walk to the toilet until 24 hours later...
    3 days later when the blood test was run...my results said i had gout to the third degree...
    Am i a strong woman...too strong...i tend to not notice the beginning signs...this time i thought i had sprained my foot...24 hours later the GOUT hit and i could not walk when i got up...
    it was 5* outside.....weather has something to do with it too...
    Any Gout hurts but i wish i had it only in the toe...
  9. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Little fibro pain factories set up shop any place that I
    gotten injured or in any place where I've had an invasive test or medical procedure.

After jamming my big toe on the break pedal during a motor vehicle accident in 1996, I developed turf toe. It is extremely painful condition when it flares up. I use cruise control and my hands to drive to avoid the use of my foot.

Some info from About.com -- "What is turf toe?
    Turf toe is a condition of pain at the base of the big toe, located at the ball of the foot. The condition is usually caused from either jamming the toe, or pushing off repeatedly when running or jumping. The most common complaint is pain at the base of the toe, but you may also have symptoms of stiffness and swelling.

The name turf toe comes from the fact that this injury is especially common among athletes who play on artificial turf. The hard surface of artificial turf, combined with running and jumping in football and soccer, make turf toe a frequent consequence of Astroturf play."

10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Sounds like Gout. It does not have to be the whole foot. My husband has gout and it was just his toe. I would see your doctor asap.
  11. charlenef

charlenef New Member

if you dont think it is gout what about cmp? my toe bothers me like this try to massage the foot into the toe and use a tennisball on the floor to do your whole foot to get rid of all tightnessgood luck charlene