Throbbing pain in right shoulder Neck area w Headache! Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nice2meetu, Sep 27, 2005.

1. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

Ok...Here it goes again. The pain I am experiencing is located in the right upper part of shoulder my right neck muscles into jaw up the head into into the right ear/occiptal area.

I feel like my head shoulder area is in a vice! I can hardly move it from side to side. But when I can stretch it out it actually feels better.

I also have the tendancy to want to clench my teeth right now. Its miserey!

I forget...Do I ice it or do I use heat???

Please help!
  2. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I'd use moist heat to help relax the muscle. Works best for me.
  3. Grailgoddess

Grailgoddess New Member

But have you also considered muscle relaxers at night? It's helped me (not cured, but helped. . . so I can at least think during the day).

Best to you! Hugs
  4. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Hi nice2meetu:

Isn't it just awful? That connected pain area really is so painful and bothersome. This is all FM speaking to you. The clenched teeth too.

All I can do is apply heat as often as possible. This of course is a temporary relief. To get more relief you might have to see a doctor for a anti-inflamatory and muscle relaxant. I have used Naprelan and Flexeril. It helps.

Will pray that you feel better soon.

Tender hugs,
    Francey
  5. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I can't stand cold. My doc says you shouldn't use heat for more than 20 minutes at a time, because it lets the muscles "forget" what they're there for.

Have you considered seeing a chiro?
  6. Nadineg

Nadineg New Member

If you are clenching your teeth, you might want to get a night guard for your teeth. It will help with the clenching. I have TMJ and I have a night guard and it does help for that and once you are not clenching your neck muscles will relax. You will still hurt some but not as bad.
    You can get the guard by the dental supplies at the drug store. It will say night guard on it. If you have Walgreens or Osco they have it. Ithink CVS has it also.
    Nadine
  7. zibit17

zibit17 New Member

I always go for the ice cubes and put them into a long sock and wrap around my neck. Twenty mins. on/ twenty mins. off and repeat until pain subsides. I spend $k at a chiropractor and his little ole receptionist told me this and it has worked every single time for twenty + years now.
    (I do have osteoartritis in that area of my spinal chord) I also grid my teeth at night and clench my jaw alot. I always have to monitor myself and what muscles I am cringing on. So, the batle goes on and on with me and the neck stuff/face pain too.
    Hope the ice works for you too.