thrush, scared and very depressed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by courtney5771, Aug 10, 2003.

1. courtney5771

courtney5771 New Member

I went to the doctor's office for thrush and they made me have an AIDS test. I thought this is just a mouth infection- why are you testing me, until I loooked it up on the internet. I don't feel sick. I couldn't have gotten thrush by antibiotics, diabetes or any other reason- only HIV. I have to wait 2 weeks for the results. I have been crying everyday. I always had protected sex- unless I was with my boyfriend. I think my ex-boyfriend of 4 years gave it to me. He also gave me herpes. I am so scared. Doesn't thrush come when your T-cells are below 350? I feel fine- how could I have it? Everybody keeps telling me to calm down- f**k them. I'v e done the research on how you get it and how you don't. My current boyfriend is making me feel like crap/ whore. I could have infected him unknowingly. What am I going to do?
    Any input would help.

Thanks,
    c

2. courtney5771

courtney5771 New Member

I also have FMS and seizures.

C
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

which can include thrush in the mouth. I'm not saying it isn't AIDS, and I understand you are justifiably scared, but I suggest you look at some past posts on this board and check out the candida board because there's a lot you can do for yourself to get those yeasty beasties under conrol.

Sorry you've had to face this and I sincerely hope the results are negative.

Love

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2003]
  4. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

and in fact its a common problem with CFS/FM. Sadly dr.s don't pay much attention to the connection between thrush (excess yeast) and CFS/FM and only give it any credence if it affects AIDS and cancer patients. Your thrush is a sign of a deeper problem (such as yeast overgrowth) and getting rid of this imbalance (which most likely affects other parts of your body, not just your mouth) will greatly improve your FM symtpoms. But, don't look for a regular dr. to help you in this matter. Please search out a holistic dr. who recognizes the connection between yeast and chronic diseases and will help you get to the bottom of this.

Again, thrush is a very common symptom for people with FM, along with other condtions, and its NOT necessarily indicative of AIDS. Its very common for babies to have thrush, so that ought to put your mind at ease.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2003]
  5. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Hi Courtney: I'm sorry you're going through this, but I wanted to let you know that I've had thrush a couple of times before I was even dx'd with fibro. Once I got it from oral steroids the doc had prescribed; can't remember exactly what the steroids were for, some kind of bronchitis, I think). There could be lots of reasons for the thrush besides HIV/AIDS. I am also very prone to mouth sores (not cold sores) and the docs/dentists have always told me that some people just carry a virus in their body that causes these. I've had severe canker sores since I was 2 (now 47) and stress usually makes things worse. Good luck and try not to panic.
  6. Kim

Kim New Member

I got thrush when I became sick with depression and anxiety. My immune system was out of whack. When the anxiety was brought under control the thrush went away.

kim
  7. courtney5771

courtney5771 New Member

Thank you for all your caring responses. I asked a RN if stress could cause thrush- but she said no. I haven't been with the ex-boyfriend for 4 years.

c
  8. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

People with AIDS are apt to get thrush, but having thrush does not mean you have AIDS. Thrush is caused by a yeast infection. The only way to know you have AIDS is to be tested and come out positive for HIV. I'm sure the doctors are just being thorough with your examination and want to be sure you don't have AIDS. You can have thrush without having AIDS so let's hope that's all it is.
  9. courtney5771

courtney5771 New Member

I feel much better. I didn't know stress could lower your immune system that much! I must be really stressed out. Here come the klonopins- J/k! Thanks

C
  10. Momskelleygirl

Momskelleygirl New Member

Last year when I had my first ral flare up (although at the thime thye didn't knoe it was fms.) I was in and out of the hospital. Every single time I was released, I had thrush. The dr. would give me meds to get rid of it, and then i would get it again, or some tomes I would get someother type of external yeast infection. Sometomes the thrush would be because of antibiotics, and others would be for no reasons. Whe I was finaly dx with fms, the dr. told me that yeast infections were part of the fms,so unless I was in desperate need of antibatics she would no longer give antibiotics, andwhen she did she would make sure I had plenty of thrush med, yeast infection med(external), and about two weeks of diflucan. Like someone else said, babies get thrush at a very young age, and sometimes for no reason at all.
    So keep positive thinking on yur side, and deal with the negative ifor when it gets here. If you worry yursekf now youareeeee just going to get yourself sick (hopefully for nothingBest if luck
    Kelley
  11. Notonline

Notonline New Member

some really need to explain things a bit better...from all standpoints. Thrush can have many causes.

Here...stolen from the web...

"Risk factors
    ANYONE can develop oral thrush, but the infection is especially common in infants and toddlers whose immune systems aren't yet fully developed. In addition, babies can pass the infection to their mothers during breast-feeding. Oral thrush is also more likely to occur in older adults, people with compromised immune systems and those who use medications — such as steroids, antibiotics and birth control pills — that weaken the immune system or upset the natural balance of microorganisms in the mouth. People who smoke or wear dentures also are at increased risk."

...neighbor and aunt both use inhalers for asthma...they've had thrush quite a few times.

P.S. As for the boyfriend...maybe it's time for a trade-in : )

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt~
  12. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member