THRUSHCan't get rid of it.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AbbeyMae, Apr 29, 2006.

1. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

Has anyone here ever had thrush? This is my first time and it has been severe. My Dr. does not recognize candida being systemic, so I may have to change Dr.s. I had an abcess molar and had a $1200. extraction(dealing w/ cavitations, cleaning infection out of the jawbone, and bone augmentation of the jaw). The dentist never did a culture on what type of bacteria. Needless to say my PCP had me on 500mg. of amoxicillian for 10 days, keflex for 10 days, and doxycycline for 10 days. I ended up with thrush so severe that one morn. I woke up with my lips all swollen and cottage cheese even growing on my lips. I tried the nystatin suspension until done, ketoconozole for a while, and the 2 scripts of Clotrimazole troches. I finished it on Thursday and here it is back again, only on the tongue at this time. Fever for several mo.s and just the low grade kicks my butt, extremely achey. I feel like a walking disease, I cannot stay well for any length of time. Any body else here ever go through this before? Any suggestions? I would appreciate any feedback you can give me.
    Love, AbbeyMae
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It's been super easy to get rid of for me. I use plain yogurt. Get a simple yogurt w/ just milk and bacterial cultures, the full fat kind, it will be less processed. Hold a tbsp. in your mouth for a few minutes and spit it out. Do it several times a day. You'll know it's working usually later that day, because the thrush will start to visibly shrink.

It's only taken a few days w/ me, but if yours is more progressed, just do it until it works. Haven't heard of someone it didn't work for yet! Let us know. And good luck w/ it.

Jeanne
  3. CATS2

CATS2 New Member

I HAVE HAD A YEAST INFECTION IN MY MOUTH, THE DOCTOR DID REFER TO IT AS THRUSH. MINE WAS CAUSED BY MY INHALERS FOR ASTHMA. I TOOK THE PRESCRIPTION MEDS AND IT CLEARED UP. GOOD LUCK IN CLEARING IT UP.
    JOANNA
  4. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

my newborn had a severe case of this. The pediatrician tried several different types of medicine for this. I finally bought an OTC called Gentian Viole belongs to the group of medicines called antifungals. Topical gentian violet is used to treat some types of fungus infections inside the mouth (thrush) and of the skin. It worked wonders for my son.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2006]
  5. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Coconut oil is very effective against candida. It got rid of a systemic candida infection I'd had for several years. So I assume it would help with thrush.

Coconut oil has lauric acid and caprylic acid which help kill the candida.

I'd recommend starting with a tablespoon a day, see how you do. I herxed very strongly on it - I started with 2 tablespoons a day and had to cut back to one. It took about 11 days to work.

Good luck -

Mary
  7. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

I just got over having this and it too took me forever. On the advice of my doctor: I brushed my teeth with baking soda only, made a rinse with half liquid maalox and half childrens Benadryl. That was very soothing.

Also, Thrush is a pretty good sign that you have too much yeast in your body. You might want to stay away from fruit, sugar, breads, starches until it goes away. Hope this helps. I had mine for aout 3 weeks. It would almost go away and then the next morning it would be back! Gross!
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I hope you changed your toothbrush near the end of your treatment. If you didn't you could be re-infecting yourself from your toothbrush.

I have an ongoing Rx for Mycelex Troches and am on them for 14 days.

I usually change my toothbrush most of the way through treatment and at the end of the treatment again. I just use new ones. I don't try to put the toothbrush in the dishwasher or anything.

Hope you will feel better. :)

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

This is info from a breastfeeding website, I am a Lactation Consultant and get calls about this all the time.

Diflucan is a medication used in treating yeast. For oropharyngeal candidiasis, Fluconazole (Diflucan) the dosage is: 200 mg Stat (day 1) then 100 mg for up to 14 days. If it's for systemic yeast, Stat dose is 400 mg and then 200 mg for 28 days. This information is from Dr. Thomas Hale's book "Medications and Mother's Milk". This is out medication "Bible" for nursing moms, but the info can help anyone with yeast.

Side effects in adults look to be GI related, and they use this med in the NICU for baby's with thrush. Dr. Hale has a website you could find more infor on. Just Google his name. I don't know if I'm allowed to list a website here.

this is from another website we use:

"Take 6 capsules of acidophilus evenly spaced throughout the day. Refrigerated capsule forms can be found in health-food stores. I recommend Nature's Way Primidophilus with Bifidus. Other reliable brands are DDS and Florjen.

Eat a lot of garlic or take odorless garlic capsules to boost your immune system and help in reducing the yeast overgrowth. 6 tabs of Kwai brand or 4 capsules of Kyolic brand garlic spaced throughout the day. ( I prefer Kyolic.) Kwai and Kyolic brand garlic is found in most pharmacies.

Another outstanding immune-system booster is Echinacea. Get a good product in a health food store and take 3-4 capsules a day. Nature's Way is a reliable company which makes Echinacea in capsule form. Take Echinacea for 10 days, then off 3 days, resuming for 10 days, etc. It is a booster and if taken steadily it looses some of its boosting capabilities.

If you have trouble remembering whether you have taken enough of these products you can count them out in a cup in the morning and it is easier to space them out. Remember to keep the acidophilus in a cup in the refrigerator, counting out your 6 each morning.

Diet

Reduce sugar to a minimum and use no artificial sweeteners. You can eat some fruits and natural fruit juices, but they will best be consumed with other non-sweet foods. Avoid sugar-added fruit juices. Herbal teas and water are a good choice of drink.

Any refined carbohydrates that you eat (breads etc.) will be best eaten with other foods--vegetables and meats--so that they will not feed the yeast.

Eliminate dairy products until two weeks after all symptoms are gone. (Dairy products do not include eggs or mayonnaise, but products that come from cows milk.) You can eat plain yogurt (no sweetened or fruit-added ones) with live acidophilus bacteria if you are certain that there is not a dairy sensitivity in your baby or yourself."

Hope this helps.

Warmly,
    maggie
  10. valleydoll

valleydoll New Member

Sorry I don't post or come here very often (I "Fibro-Forget" about it LOL).
    I have been battling Thrush for the past 2 1/2 yr. Can't say how many prescriptions I've had of Nystantin. Then a wonderful Fibro-Buddie told me about Biotene Mouthwash (can get at Wal Mart for $5.65 or so). Used this only during flareups and it worked great......THEN I went to visit our Son & family and used their mouthwash and noticed I wasn't having to use the Biotene!! It was Crest Whitening WITH Scope !!!! I can't even remember the last time I had a breakout of thrush!!! (and it's cheaper too LOL).
    I hope by now you've gotten some relief. Hope you'll give the toothpaste a try if you are still having problems. It works!!!