Thyroid did not help with allergic reactionsas promised

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Aug 2, 2003.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I was told my accute sensitivity to things would go down being on thyroid meds, but I just got home from the Emergecny Room, and can add yet another allergy to my long list of them.....fire ants.
    The nurse told me he had never seen such a long list of allergies.
    My pulse only went up to 148 though...it usually gets twice as high as that if a bee stings me, so maybe the thyroid did help.
    This was the first time I'd ever had throat tightening with a reaction, and it was scary.
    As a gardener in hot Florida, this is a major problem, since I live in flip-flops, and that is how the ants got me, while I was pruning a plant wearing flip-flops. I was stung 4 times before I got them off my feet.
    Has anyone else had a lowering of allergic reactions to stuff after being on thyroid awhile?
    Klutzo
  2. isee

isee New Member

I have read that itching -anywhere- can accompany hypothyroidism, but I didn't know it affects allergic reactions.

I'm curious. How does an underactive thyroid affect our histamine levels? Do you know?

Wanting to learn,

Anna
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My doc says nobody over 50 and esp. one with heart disease risk factors (of which I have every one except smoking) should be on more than 120 mgs. Armour Thyroid. I am amazed you can take that much!
    I am just up to 60 mgs. and am having trouble with insomnia. This is my 4th try at going from 45 mgs to 60 mgs. I have been on Armour for 2 months.
    I have not had a crash or reduction in energy. On the contrary my energy goes up and stays up as I increase the dose, but the energy lasts all day and all night.
    I was put on low dose DHEA and Pregnenolone at the same time, and could not tell which of the three was causing the insomnia, so I went off all but the Armour.
    Since I got a huge dose of Cortisone tonight in the ER (125 mgs. of Solu-Medrol), I won't touch the DHEA or Preg for awhile. My chest still feels tight, so I may drop the Armour back to 45 mgs. again until I see my new doc on Monday.
    Thank you for encouraging me to hang in there! I entertained the Nurse tonight in ER with your fantastic drop in cholesterol on Armour. His jaw dropped to the floor, he was so amazed. If he remembers this and passes it on......
    One must sow the seeds everywhere, no?
    Thanks for your input,
    Klutzo
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

It doesn't affect histamine, but it does speed metabolism, thereby enabling the body to deal with and rid itself of offending substances quicker before they cause as much trouble.
    The adrenals are also involved in this process, but I have too much adrenalin, and that is the type of reaction I have, rather than swelling and redness. My pulse soars and I get chattering teeth and chills from too much adrenalin pouring out to try and get rid of the posion.
    Klutzo
  5. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

and while this made me feel much better, it did NOTHING for my allergies. My dr. didn't want to run allergy tests at that time, because she felt once my thyroid was regulated a lot of my allergies would go away.

I was also taking quercetin, but still had to rely on benadryl. It wasn't until after I ran out of the quercetin combo, and changed to Solgar's quercetin, that I was able to control the allergies...esp. hives.

That was over a year ago, and now I take no quercetin (not by choice, I'm just out and haven't been able to replace all my supplements) and I haven't had a single allergic reaction. I guess I've been out for 2-3 months, but even prior to this I was able to lower my pills from 2-3, 3 times a day, to 1, 1-2 times a day, without getting hives and peeling eyelashes.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Your story gives me a great deal of hope that in time it will help my reactions.
    I hvae not been stung by a bee since 1986, but this new allergy to fire ants is a major problem, since I typically get stung by them at least twice per year! 80% of my shoe wardrobe is open sandals, and the thought of wearing shoes in this hot climate is unbearable, so I don't know what to do now, not to mention that I can't afford to go out and buy a bunch of shoes.
    Thanks for posting,
    Klutzo
  7. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

and so far in a year on Armour it most definately hasn't helped allergies at all.

i can't comment on madwolf taking 360mgs , are you sure thats not a typo ? that seems very high. i take 45mgs and 60 mgs alternate days.

i was told i need to detox my liver to reduce allergies and am too ill and too broke to do so yet.

am fed up as am covered in little insect bites and have scratched myself raw in my sleep. ugh.
    also have borrowed money to buy an organic yet inexpensive mattress and am waking up wheezing and with sore eyes.
    soi have avoided a chemical toxin but still reacting to something on the mattress.

i do take reduced glutathione or N-Acetyl Cysteine when i know i am exposed to something and i believe it reduces my allergy response.

have you tried the N-Acetyl Cysteine ?

cheers, pinkquartz
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I agree Madwolf's Armour dose is astronomical...maybe he is euthyroid?
    Yes, I take NAC every morning, since Tylenol is my only pain medicine. Nobody should take it regularly without taking NAC, or they will have no glutathione reserve.
    I have already done liver cleanses several times and taken several courses of silymarin (Milk thistle). It did not help me. I hope it does help you.
    We bought an "all natural" futon, and that is what started my chemical sensitivites. I almost went into shock from the reaction. The problem is that the government requires all cotton or natural products to be sprayed heavily with pesticides to kill the bugs that live in them. I am far more sensitive to that than I am to the synthetic fabrics. The futon had to be returned, but ever since then any new furniture has to stay in the garage for at least a week to 3 weeks before coming in the house. I am so sorry this happened to you.
    Hugs,
    Klutzo

P.S. Forgot to ask you....is 45 mgs. alt. w/60 mgs. your final dose, or have you tried to go higher but have hyper side-effects? I want to go as high as I can tolerate, since I need help with weight loss and cholesterol. What does your doc say about pushing it?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/03/2003]
  9. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

my thyroid dose is probably spot on for now. we tried higher and i got too many palpitations and feeling a bit hyper.
    however the doc was happy for me to try a higher dose and see how it felt. i was a bit wary and so she was doing the blood tests to fine tune but she is off work ill and i don't want to see another doc just now.
    if your doc agrees i think you should give a higher dose a try.
    so i am happy with what i am taking. in fact i have only been on this dose since jan/feb this year .maybe it will become even more beneficial as more time passes.

sorry about the futon thing.i know you are so right about the cotton being heavily sprayed. all my stuff in tiny flat is so old cos of the fear of allergies. i sadly have no garage or spare room to air new stuff. i even used to hang new books on the washing line before bringing them in to read. [sure the neighbours thought i was crazy then]
    However i have been told that this mattress contains organic wool and i have bought a mattress and a day bed from the same company before ,so i trust them. except that i don't completely trust other people understanding how strict we have to be !

sorry that doing the liver detox didn't help you more. glad that you take the NAC every day, to keep your glutathione levels up. when i can i also take it every day and i feel a little subtle improvement when i do.

i have been sitting outside for a couple of hours getting some fresh air and sunshine.
    amazing how calming a little bit of sunshine is.

hugs, pinkquartz
  10. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I have never experienced a reduction in allergies from thyroid and was on it for l0 years or more..But, OLE has significantly rid me of most allergy symptoms..also, take Quercitin/Bromelain, too, but did not see big reduction with just them...

Plantscaper
  11. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i was trying think about this and i am not very clear headed at all at present and when you wrote about the adrenals i thought oh yes. of course that would make a huge difference.
    i haven't tried putting up my Armour thyroid since i have been taking the cortisol.

i might try and experiment....i also need to reduce my allergy responses.

i think its amazing what you are doing,

best wishes, pinkquartz
  12. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

well, well, madwolf does take that much, and its possible because of the cortisol.
    i was wondering where this leaves you. if i remember corrrectly you were still being knocked back on the cortisol.
    wondered what you are thinking of doing.

hugs, pinkquartz
  13. klutzo

klutzo New Member

All of my cortisol tests are normal. My 8 am fasting serum is 18, and all four ASI times are firmly in the normal range,so even the 2 alt. docs I've seen will not give me Cortef. It may be that I don't need that much anyway, who knows. Dr. Teitlebaum is a very learned man, but he is not G-D, and we are all different.
    I will ask about this again (sigh), but right now I have so much cortisone in my system, and my face is so red, and I am so exhausted from it, and having palpitations, that the thought of taking anything like this (yes, I know the natural form is not so bad) is at the end of the list, and it's a very long list right now!
    Also, I have had no tell-tale crashing nor lowering of energy since starting the Armour. It has kept my energy up quite well, at least until I had that cortisone shot yesterday....now I can barely walk across the room! Don't know why...maybe cause I can't sleep with all that cortisone in me.
    Klutzo
  14. tansy

tansy New Member

whenever I've had emergency treatment for anaphylaxis/anaphylactic shock I too have had that odd combination of being hyped and exhausted at the same time.

I just used to drink loads of water and take vit C in the hope I could flush it all out. Don't know if it helped but at least I felt I was doing something.

It's no fun knowing that insect bites can do this to you at the very time of year they're at their height. Is there an insect repellant you can tolerate? B vits are supposed to help stop being such a target, not sure but I think thiamin's said to be the most effective.

Take care

Love

Tansy

15. tansy

tansy New Member

Seeing my GP on Thursday about 24 hour test to see if she will at least try cortisol. Sister, a pharmacist, is very anti - insists even at these low doses can stop adrenals producing enough. But at this stage in my illness (22 years) and age (52) I don't care as long as it helps.

I hadn't realised about thyroid meds reducing allergic reactions, such useful info and another agument in favour of having that prescribed too.

love

Tansy
  16. klutzo

klutzo New Member

You and I are both 52...isn't that wonderful (well, at least it's better than the alternative!)
    Yes, I already take plenty of B complex and vitamin C.
    I think using DHEA or Pregnenolone to raise your cortisol level may be the safer option, esp. if a doc won't prescribe Cortef. I was on both of them until I started having insomnia, and needed to stop them to see if it was the Armour causing it or not.
    Cortef will probably help lessen your allergic reactions a lot more than thyroid will. Adrenals are the major player in this, but remember that the TH2 side of the immune system is upregulated in this illness, and that alone may account for all these allergies and sensitivities.
    Unfortunately, fire ants are a year round problem here in Florida. They are worse during summer, but summer is 8 months long in this part of Florida. I put on shoes and went over our yard with ant killing granules today. I can't tolerate bug spray and am not sure it would keep them off anyway....fire ants are amazingly tenacious.
    Thanks for the sympathy,
    Klutzo
  17. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I too got little relief with Quercetin or Bromelain or stinging nettles.
    OLE is on my list for the doctor tomorrow. I already bought a bottle of Seagate OLE.
    The problem is my blood pressure meds. Was it you or Pat Palmer who told me it would greatly lower my BP?
    I took a cheap brand of OLE before (Solaray) and had no lowering of BP while on it, but I don't want to take any chances so am asking the holistic doc before I try it.
    I cannot go off my BP meds because I take a BP med that helps stop my POTS attacks, raises growth hormone level, and even helps with pain and sleep. It is called Catapres (Clonidine HCL) and it also causes dangerous rebound, so it would take months to withdraw from.
    I hope I will be able to take OLE instead of the Nystatin I am on for yeast. My stool test showed I am resistant to Nystatin, so I can't see paying for it if it's not working.
    In the process, maybe I can kill any other opportunist infection that is lurking around.
    Thanks for the suggestion,
    Klutzo
  18. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

to say, however thought you may [or may not] be interested in my 8am fasting cortisol was before i began taking cortisol......it was 2.8. thats all !!

i looked it up as curious to compare.

off the top of my head it doesn't look like you need more cortisol, although the normal range here is said to go up to 33.0 so you are not high either.

cheers, pinkquartz
  19. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Just a few questions for you....

Just wondered if you are drinking the 2 ltrs of water?
    and have you adopted the Sea/Rock Salt thing?

Dehydration and a salt deficit will activate the body into making histamine, which is the substance causing allergies.
    Water & Salt shortage are additionally responsible for many problems.
    I always put a pinch in with every glass of water I drink,- can`t taste it.
    In fact i`m always picking at the Rock Salt crystals I keep in a little dish on my worktop, tastes really nice....

Have you visited the Candida website by William G Crook, MD?
    He suggests Diflucan as well as Nystatin for serious systemic candida.

Love Pat.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2003]
  20. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I found this all interesting. My holistic gal said I have high reaction to allergies..in my case, environmental. She said she is going to hold off treating that until I have gone through my liver detox and after I have been on my other supps for a while. In my case..my adrenals are very fatigued and overworking my thyroid. It could be my imagination, but I think I already can feel a difference with the Immuplex and Cytozyme AD. I had to stop the detox as my hormones went to the moon..but plan to start it again Monday.
    I am wondering, if you and others get treated with a specific liver detox or just one size fits all? I did not think about detoxes being specific..I think she is right on though..I worked for Monsanto, a steel place with paint and oil in the air, fifteen years of confinement hogs, diesel from the tractors and breathed propane for a year and a half in the last house that we lived in. She did not know any of this when she tested me..so I was amazed that she came to this conclusion.
    I guess I am wondering if there are specifically different causes of making a liver toxic..if a person uses a detox that is not specific..are we gonna get what we need outta the detox?
    thank you ..Sherry