Thyroid Glandulars Canada - Please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Jul 17, 2006.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

I FINALLY found a supplement that seems to support my thyroid meds. After 13 yrs I think my thyroid has kicked back in.

My Naturopath who sells me these supplements is on holidays and I am running out! Poor planning on my part, I know.

I phoned around this morning to various health food stores and have been on the net for the company that makes this product. It is a Canadian company and these pills are now only available to U.S. customers!

I am so upset. This is what this product contains:

Thyroid glandular (Thyroxine free) † ....... 100mg *
    Adrenal glandular † ............................... 50mg *
    Pituitary glandular † .............................. 15mg *
    Spleen glandular † ................................. 5mg *
    Thymus glandular † ................................ 5mg *
    L-Tyrosine .......................................... 30mg *
    Dulse (Rhodymenia palmetta) ............... 400mg *
    Bladderwrack (Fucus vesiculosus) ........... 15mg *
    Irish Moss (Chondrus crispus) ................ 40mg *
    Calcarea fluorica (potentized) .................... 4x *
    Lycopus virginicus (potentized) .................. 4x *

Does anyone know of a similar supplement that is available in Canada? It just seems that everything that helps me is eventually banned by Health Canada!

Thanks for any help.
    Pepper
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 07/17/2006</i>]
  2. Ly45nn

Ly45nn Member

Hi, I was wondering if you still take this product and what do you do. I live in Canada, Ottawa and was hoping to find something like this. Help.
  3. Ly45nn

Ly45nn Member

Hi, I was wondering if you still take this product and what do you do. I live in Canada, Ottawa and was hoping to find something like this. Help.
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I have not found anything at all in Canada and my naturopath has searched everywhere for me and other patients. I went to Ogdensburg where we do some cross border shopping but they don't have any stores that we could find to get supplements. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    We are planning on making a trip to upper New York State, maybe Messina, in the near future to see if we can find something suitable. First I have to check the cross border shopping rules which seem to change frequently.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    I will post if I find anything.&lt;BR&gt;
    Pepper
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

I have not found anything at all in Canada and my naturopath has searched everywhere for me and other patients. I went to Ogdensburg where we do some cross border shopping but they don't have any stores that we could find to get supplements. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    We are planning on making a trip to upper New York State, maybe Messina, in the near future to see if we can find something suitable. First I have to check the cross border shopping rules which seem to change frequently.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    I will post if I find anything.&lt;BR&gt;
    Pepper
  6. roge

roge Member

hi fellow ottawa people. I live in ottawa too. that is just disgusting that health canada has now banned these glandulars . anyway, i am patient of dr. armstrong in ottawa and she might carry some good glandulars. I know I bought dr. wilson adrenal builder a few years ago so maybe call them and see what they have - i dont think you have to be a patient to buy their supplements - just search dr. armstong ottawa and her clinic should pop up and phone number. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    she also told me she is being investigated by the college of physicians of ontario and she looked quite stressed as i had not seen her in 2 years - i knew it would only be a matter of time before she was investigated as the college doesnt like these alternative and complementary doctors even though she is a great help to many - just disgusting again that the college is going after her - i dont really know the details and the extent of the investigation but it seems like she will be able to still have her clinic but i think she has to make some changes and run a much tighter operation and not be so liberal with certain treatments and drug prescribing - not sure though. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    keep us updated pepper&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    cheers&lt;BR&gt;
    kyle
  7. roge

roge Member

hi fellow ottawa people. I live in ottawa too. that is just disgusting that health canada has now banned these glandulars . anyway, i am patient of dr. armstrong in ottawa and she might carry some good glandulars. I know I bought dr. wilson adrenal builder a few years ago so maybe call them and see what they have - i dont think you have to be a patient to buy their supplements - just search dr. armstong ottawa and her clinic should pop up and phone number. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    she also told me she is being investigated by the college of physicians of ontario and she looked quite stressed as i had not seen her in 2 years - i knew it would only be a matter of time before she was investigated as the college doesnt like these alternative and complementary doctors even though she is a great help to many - just disgusting again that the college is going after her - i dont really know the details and the extent of the investigation but it seems like she will be able to still have her clinic but i think she has to make some changes and run a much tighter operation and not be so liberal with certain treatments and drug prescribing - not sure though. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    keep us updated pepper&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    cheers&lt;BR&gt;
    kyle
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

You are so lucky to be a patient of Dr. Armstrong's! I have been trying to get in to see her for years. I will call and see if she carries thyroid glandulars but I think she wouldn't be allowed any more. My naturopath carried them until 2006 when Health Canada banned them.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Another excellent alternative doctor being investigated in this country! It is such a shame. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    A couple of years ago I went to Toronto to see a Lyme disease doctor but another doctor in Mississauga was going through an investigation right at that time. I could tell he was running scared and the last thing he wanted to do was dx anyone with Lyme - even though I am sure I fit the criteria for co-infections. Instead he brushed me off with a pile of blood tests and no follow up despite his promises to do so. I am sure he was afraid of losing his license as the other doctor did.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    I wonder how many other Ottawa people are on this board now. I have not been around much for some time.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Anyhow, thanks for the lead. I will call her office and see.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Pepper&lt;BR&gt;
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

You are so lucky to be a patient of Dr. Armstrong's! I have been trying to get in to see her for years. I will call and see if she carries thyroid glandulars but I think she wouldn't be allowed any more. My naturopath carried them until 2006 when Health Canada banned them.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Another excellent alternative doctor being investigated in this country! It is such a shame. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    A couple of years ago I went to Toronto to see a Lyme disease doctor but another doctor in Mississauga was going through an investigation right at that time. I could tell he was running scared and the last thing he wanted to do was dx anyone with Lyme - even though I am sure I fit the criteria for co-infections. Instead he brushed me off with a pile of blood tests and no follow up despite his promises to do so. I am sure he was afraid of losing his license as the other doctor did.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    I wonder how many other Ottawa people are on this board now. I have not been around much for some time.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Anyhow, thanks for the lead. I will call her office and see.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Pepper&lt;BR&gt;
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Pepper, as American companies cannot legally ship thyroid glandulars into Canada, I would imagine that you would not be able to carry these across the border with you as you reenter Canada after visiting in the US. This also applies to DHEA and L-tryptophan.
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Pepper, as American companies cannot legally ship thyroid glandulars into Canada, I would imagine that you would not be able to carry these across the border with you as you reenter Canada after visiting in the US. This also applies to DHEA and L-tryptophan.
  12. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I had a bear of a time finding them too, when I realized how much they helped me. Canada seems to have strong regulations against them.

Rainbow sells a similar thyroid glandular, might even be the same brand, though I think the one I tried was milder doses, but possibly lypholized (meaning hormones intact). They have one like that, w/ added herbals, and another w/ just the glandulars. I also get my adrenals by New Roots Herbal, and my dessicated liver (also darn hard to get now).

Ottawa Natural Health Clinic (formerly Ottawa Chemists) will order things in for you though, usually at a premium cost though. They do carry the 2 I buy and will do a price match if you tell them you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Now all this info is supposing I'm remembering right and you do live in Ottawa.

Jeanne
  13. pepper

pepper New Member

I am off to Rainbow right now to see what they have. The stuff I have is by AOR out of Calgary. Amazing that it can't be sold in Canada any more.

I am wondering if my ND has a dispensation to sell it but I can't find that out until he gets back next week. Meanwhile, I am running out.

I will bring my bottle to Rainbow and see what they can find that is similar. Finally I am able to drop some weight using this stuff and I don't want to start packing on the pounds again. I am sure that it is contributing to my boost in energy too.

Thank you so much!
    Pepper
  14. pepper

pepper New Member

I will contact the Ottawa Natural Health Clinic. I doubt that they can get the stuff I really want but perhaps they could find something similar.

Thanks for this info, Jeanne.
    ((HUGS))Pepper
  15. pepper

pepper New Member

The guy at Rainbow says that nothing he can now get compares to the stuff I am taking. He takes the same stuff and says it is the best. He only has a few pills left and is taking a trip to the U.S. to get some more. He suggested that I do the same.

Health Canada has ruled against using glandulars and he can no longer get them. He might have said "raw" glandulars if that makes a difference.

According to him we can bring back 3-6 bottles for personal usage from the U.S. So I am planning a trip to Ogdensburg or Messina to get some.

Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2006]
  16. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Is it just thyroid glandulars? Because I just bought adrenals and dessicated liver last week. I haven't gotten the thyroid one in mths because I found I didn't need it. I gave it to a friend who takes thyroid meds and has constant problems w/ them and she said the supplement gave her more energy. I think it was AOR too, i knew it was some sort of acronym I could never remember.

Jeanne
  17. pepper

pepper New Member

I thought he said "glandulars", possibly "raw glandulars". I don't think that he specified thyroid but he may have misspoken.

He was obviously as upset as I am about it!

Pepper