Thyroid imbalances and eye problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Sep 25, 2006.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi All:

Looks like another day off for me. I just wish I could stay on top my health. I've been experience red eye for a few weeks now. My hubby's been at me to go to the Dr's. I've also had terrible fatigue....even worse that the FM fatigue.

Last night I noticed I had more facial swelling around my eyes, etc. Along with my other symptoms, I figure it's pretty clear my hypothyroidism is not under control anymore.

Does anyone else have continuing eye/thryoid troubles along with their FM/CFS?

Regards,

Eileen
  2. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Eileen .. now you have me wondering if I should have kept my appointments with the opthomologist I was seeing. I cancelled after 3 visits because he didn't actually say anything was wrong other than having hypothyroid and the rest of the chronic problems could create issues.
    Now I wonder if I should be going back ?
    Thanks for posting on this issue !
    Joy : )
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I still feel like my thyroid isn't under control and I've been taking medications since last November.

Today is a bad day for me too but it's hard to get it through the doc's head that I do know the difference between FM foggy and Thyroid problems.

I have an appt in October with a new doc and I want to see if he'll give me a trial of taking T3 too. So much research that we just don't process the T4-T3 properly.

Hugs

Nancy B
  4. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Still off today. I went to see my Dr yesterday morning. He sent me for a full blood work up (including the FT3) and urine test. Normally he would just do the TSH and FT4. He also included all the other inflammatory type tests, ANA, RA etc.

It's awful to want something to show up but I get sick and tired of the "it must be the FM/CFS" comment. This fatigue that I'm feeling is so different. The glands in my neck feel sore to the touch. Even my ribs hurt today....probably that yucky costochondritis again!

I've wondered about Sjogren's syndrome too as it affects the eyes. I have my eye appointment at 3:30, so it will be interesting to see what's changed over the past year.

Sorry to sound so blah! Regards to you both.

Eileen
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hi Eileen ... Don't worry about sounding so blah ... I have gone through such a long patch of feeling rotten this time that I wonder if I will ever feel better .. this is the first time it has been so extended .. chest cold .. stomach flu .. it really beat the stuffing out of me .. and the exhaustion is horrible .. I look at the garden and the house and want to hide my head under the bed covers .. so much to do and I haven't been able to.

My husband helps .. but you know how it is ... some things we need to do our selves ..
    Today is a bit better .. the sun is out (Ontario .. has had loads of rotten weather lately)
    So .. hang in .. talk to your doctor .. rest ... take care of yourself ! things will change ..
    Joy : )
  6. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Well, I'm really experienced with the thyroid problems and believe me, my system is so mixed up that when something goes wrong, I blame it on my thyroid. That's probably the wrong thing to do but it's possible.

As for the eyes, yes, I have problems with my eyes. The Dr. found the thyroid problem in mid 80's. Had my eyes checked around that time and was prescribed glasses.

I've had them checked but need to have checkup again; I'm seeing blurring through my glasses now; guess it's worse again.

I know this isn't good news but this is how it is for me. If you're on medication, I would ask your Dr. about getting bloodwork checked every 6 months; at least that's what I have to do.

Hope all goes well,

BlueSky555