Thyroid is fine? Think again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monicaz49, Oct 19, 2006.

1. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Just wanted to share a statement i read in the CFS Research Review i got in the mail.
    "Dr. Meirleir also stated that activated OAS can suppress the thyroid even though thyroid function tests appear normal."
    HmMMMMMMMMMM..... i have cfs and makes me wonder cause i have anxiety...constantly hot..etc.
    It also states OAS effects RNaseL which can cause symptoms including hypersensitivity, depression, increased pain, and hypoglycemia and vision symptoms. Maybe they are on to something with this.
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Thyroid issues are very common with CFS. There are many drs who do not perform the necessary tests and then fail to interpret the tests they do take correctly.

I am currently on thyroid meds for hypothyroidism and it's helped me with my CFS.
  3. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

thats interesting news. Hmm...i may mention to my doc.
    Thx! Glad u are improved.
    :)
  4. llama

llama New Member

Hi monicaz49 and all,

I've found a really good website for thyroid info. It's very up to date and takes a very pro-active stance, as it seems that many docs think just because your TSH is in the normal range that your thyroid is fine.

The website is "stop the thyroid madness.com". I don't know if this helps any but good luck!.....Jill......
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Jill - I am looking at that site now - Thanks.

Sooo frustrated.... I just asked the other day if my new doc (same practice, old one left) could order thyroid tests for me (full work up) told her about the lump in my throat, fatigue (duhhh all the time) and weight gain. I just got a message back from her practice that said "We see in your chart that you had your thyroid tested 6 months ago... so we won't be running anymore bloodwork on that, however your referral to the chiro will be mailed to you" (I asked for that to be faxed by the way)

Sorry I am hurting and in a cruddy mood, but ..... What .... my thyroid never changes??? Once it shows fine then your good for life??? Forgive me for being stupid, but uhhhhhhh.

I want to scream!!!! Any advice?? BTW the lump in my throat is a new thing.

Ahhhhhhhhhahhhhh (kay - sorry)

HUGS
    Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2006]
  6. llama

llama New Member

Hi Kimba,

I just posted to you on the LOST thread. Anyway, until I started doing my own research on thyroid dysfunction, I just went along with whatever the doc said. Despite a family history of thyroid problems and having many symptoms myself (all my life)the physicians always said well you're in the normal range.

The TSH test is practically obsolete now days. The reference range is so vague and arbitrary. You need to have them draw a free T3 and T4 (and one other test that my fibro fog isn't letting me remember).

Another good resource is a book called Living well with Hypothyroidism, the author is Mary Shoman(not sure of last name) but she's written several books. I have the one on autoimmune diseases. If you're interested, I'm sure you can find it at Amazon and get a preview/review of it.

I just came out and asked to be put on Cytomel. I refuse to be put on synthetic meds like Synthroid. The Cytomel is helping some (only been on it 5 weeks). At next doc visit I'm requesting Armour.
    Let me know how things go for you.....Jill..........