thyroid malignancy M.E./CFS study

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bluebottle, May 27, 2008.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Thyroid Malignancy Association with Cortical & Subcortical Brain SPECT
    Changes In Patients Presenting with a Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic
    Fatigue Syndrome

Hyde MD, Byron; Leveille MD Jean, Vaudrey, Sheila.Green, Tracy.

Alasbimn Journal 10 (38):eek:ctober 2007.

Article N° AJ38-2.

Thyroid malignancy in ME/CFS patients greatly exceeds the normal incidence
    of thyroid malignancy in any known subgroup. The thyroid malignancy
    incidence in the ME/CFS group may exceed 6,000 / 100,000. As part of their
    investigation, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)
    patients should be examined by thyroid ultrasound for evidence of thyroid
    pathology and malignancy. Thyroid pathology may be missed in this group of
    patients if investigation relies only upon serum testing for TSH, FT3, FT4,
    microsomal and thyroglobulin antibodies, which are usually normal. Thyroid
    uptake scans tend also to be normal and may also miss malignant lesions. A
    newly recognized syndrome may exist in ME/CFS patients characterized by: (a)
    thyroid malignancy, (b) persistent abnormal cortical and subcortical SPECT
    brain scans (NeuroSPECT), (c) failure of thyroidectomy surgery and hormone
    replacement to correct the fatigue syndrome, and (d) an unusual high
    incidence of cervical vertebrae osteoarthritic changes. ME/CFS patients with
    treated non-malignant thyroid disease and abnormal NeuroSPECT scans may also
    fail to improve despite adequate thyroid hormone replacement. A brief
    summary of the differences between ME and CFS is discussed.

Hyde MD, Byron
    Leveille MD Jean
    Vaudrey, Sheila
    Green, Tracy
    Nightingale Research Foundation , Ottawa. (1) Hopital Hotel Dieu, Montreal,

web site:
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2008]
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

This condition keeps revealing itself in new and troubling ways, doesn't it.

Bit scary sometimes!

3. tansy

tansy New Member

has written, and spoken, for years now about the high incidence of thyroid malignancy found in ME and CFS.

It's good to see the differences between ME and CFS are mentioned here as well.

tc, Tansy
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

viral infections can cause thyroid damage. dr. lerner found colloid cysts in my thyroid...i have had CFS for over 15 years. no other doctor checked for this!

i is all very scary.

5. findmind

findmind New Member

Yes, it is not only scary, but downright depressing, 'cuz we all know how our doctors are not going to listen to us about this!

I am, on the other hand, so glad that this scary stuff is at least showing up; that means more and more research is being accomplished, and more answers for some of us are at hand!

Which would you like first, the good news or the bad news? That's this stuff...

6. findmind

findmind New Member

Important stuff!

7. tigercat411

tigercat411 New Member

Hello all,

Thank goodness for you all. I might think I am crazier than I really am hehe...if it wasnt for this site.

I was diag with FM abt 3 years ago and have lupus- discoid with additional presenting symptoms altho I have been told it wasnt possible LOL- I am being seen soon for arthritis.

I had major thyroid issues 23 years ago while pregnant with my second child- symptoms left after birth, no other thyroid issues other than being told my thyroid is a "bit low" - go figure...

Also both my kids have a form of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and I have a cousin with Crohn's and a father with Parkinson's.

While Im not gonna post the fun and frequent flyer miles I get with flare-ups, I do seem to have worsening cognitive issues which scare the hell out of me.....

I have read a lot on the web re Dopamine- and I think I can connect all the family issues to some of that...Is it possible that thyroid issues are a coresponding feature for me?

I wonder where I got this- they can connect some illnesses to viruses now- mebbe I got this from swimming in a pool or I got bit by a tick or mosquito - I dont know -

I wish there was a more effective treatment for all of us.

8. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Manganese is required to activate dopamine. A Manganese deficiency is also implicated in hypothyroidism. And you darn sure need it to ward off osteoarthritis.
  9. gettingwell

gettingwell New Member

I had thyroid cancer and it was treated very easily (thank goodness), two years later I come down with CFS. Just my luck, but they must be related in some way.