Thyroid meds causing panic attacks??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JP, Apr 4, 2003.

1. JP

JP New Member

I am now taking a break from taking hormones! This feels so right to me. I have a mild case of Hashimoto's and my reproductive hormones are wacky. I was taking Armour Thyroid and birth control to help balance my hormones. It seems like taking hormones was not what my body wanted. I feel very optomistic about this change and my doctor is great at monitoring my levels. I have been having more and more panic attacks and anxiety. This is hard to deal with. We both think that it just might be the hormones that I have been taking.

So, I feel great about the change for now. The side effects were worse than the orginal symptoms. Anyone else have increased anxiety with thyroid medication?

Jan
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sometimes, they are the lesser of two evils. I'm not saying you shouldn't quit your hormones, but I have tried and had heart palpitations from it. It isn't as severe now that I have added the Synthroid to my HRT, but I don't want any Palps. I've decided that my body needs these hormones are our hormones are certainly screwed up from our illnesses. The Synthroid has really helped me.

Anxiety can come from the misfiring and overfiring of our neurons. That is why I also take Klonopin and it has done away with my anxiety/panic attacks and sleep deprivation, and it has greatly decreased my sensory overload and tinnitus.

I never thought I would be taking all these meds, but they have greatly increased my quality of life. I hope you find that your quality of life improves without your meds, but it's no failure if you have to take them. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

Yes

I was taking Armour Thyroid also and it made my anxiety worse.

I also had heart palpitations and increased sweating and extreme thirst

4. JP

JP New Member

for your thoughts, contributions. I do have that failure thing around meds...I just feel a bit free for now. I hope I am able to stay med free in regard to my endocrine system. It is a tough one to regulate. If I need to start them up again, I will AND it just feels on the edge of normal to go from 6 different types of meds a day to 4. I bet this sounds a little funny.

I will try to keep my mind clear that going back to hormones for my thyroid and reproductive system is not a failure...

Jan : )