Thyroid meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debbied38, Nov 26, 2006.

1. debbied38

debbied38 New Member

I'm just curious how long on average it takes before you see a significant change in weight loss once starting thyroid medicine. I'm on the last week of the highest dosage so far, and I've only gained weight. I need some encouragement here.....I'm about to give up on any help.

Deb
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I've been on Thyroid med for YEARS. Synthroid for 5 or 6 years, then Armour for about 5 years, Cytomel for a few months, with the Armour, and Compounded T3/T4 for about 1 year. Never experienced weight loss, sadly.
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Does anybody know the advantages of using it vs. Synthroid or one of the others? I know it's naturally derived, but that's all I know...an alternative med MD put me on it.
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I've been on thyroid meds for a year now and haven't lost any of the weight I gained.

I'm just glad it has helped to alleviate some of the horrid symptoms that hypothyroid added to my misery.

Also.......the BEST thyroid information that I've found is at about.com in their thyroid newsletters by Mary Shomon.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Man....all these answers saying the same thing. Unfortunately I have to concur.

I've been on meds since for almost two years and still struggle to keep from gaining any more weight. I started at the minimum dose of levothyroxin 25 mcg and now take 75 mcg.

All the best,

Eileen