Thyroid related to fibro???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dixielanddelight, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Dixielanddelight

Dixielanddelight New Member

Hi Yall,

I have been losing handful's of hair..my hair is long and always been thick. For some reason i got really concerned yesterday and I contacted my dr and talked to the nurse. she said it could very well be stress which I am totally stressed out and depressed. She also said it could be alopecia or thyroid. So she wanted me to come in and have some bloodwork done which i did yesterday evening. She called me today and said that my thyroid level was 5.5 and should be around 4.8. I know nothing about thyroid so could somebody please shed some light on this for me? What exactly does this mean. She said that she dont think it is the total cause of my hairloss and is sending me to a dermatologist also but that is 6 weeks away.

Please help...Thanks
  2. Dixielanddelight

Dixielanddelight New Member

Hi Yall,

Thank yall for responding very quickly. Im soooooooooo new to all this stuff and it goes flyin right over my head no matter how many times i try to read it...

The nurse said that the levels should be at 4.8 and i dont understand what that means. They called me in some meds called synthroid...I guess ill start taking that in the morning...

Im on Namenda for fibro and celexa for depression and temporarily on pain meds and muscle relaxers.

all this stuff is so confusing and i cant seem to comprehend what it all is. Guess this is another chalk up for disability..geez