thyroid test results, Madwolf, please??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Mar 27, 2003.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

My test results look pretty good, really. I need to know if, based on these numbers, I should pursue the hypothyroid angle at all?

Free T3 3.1 (ref: 2.30-4.20 PG/MG)
    Free T4 1.05 (ref: 0.76-1.76 NG/DL)
    TSH, serum 2.00 (ref: 0.3-5.7 uIU/ml)

Humble thanks for your time and expertise.

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

I'm not really symptomatic for low thyroid, although I have fairly classic FMS symptoms. Fatigue, achiness, 'teflon brain' and brain fog, etc. It's been worse than usual the past couple of weeks because of environmental factors-- interior house painting. yuck. I also have some osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease courtesy of an auto accident in 1978, and carpal tunnel/DeQuervain's tenosynovitis, bilateral. I've tested "low normal" for thyroid all my life, since I was a teen. (ok, I'm 47. sigh.) I've been overweight all my life, was a chubby child. Now I need to lose about 45 pounds, have pretty much given up on that ever happening. I do not have dry hair or skin, or other classic markers of hypothyroidism.

So, would a 3 to 6 month trial of Armour thyroid hurt me in any way, if my NP will prescribe it? If so, how would I approach her? I'm sort of new territory for her, in my approach to treatment. I am especially interested in the relationship between low thyroid and carpal tunnel. I am desperately seeking to avoid CTS surgery. Celebrex helps, but it also destroys my stomach lining, as do all NSAIDS.

Is there any truth to the rumor that taking thyroid meds shuts down one's own thyroid permanently??

Thank you so very much.

Beth.