thyroid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ANGELEO728, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ANGELEO728

ANGELEO728 New Member

does anyone have trouble with their thyroid? I have had mine checked periodically and it is always in the normal range. I have it checked again next wednesday. I'm only asking because I was researching some of the information on here about the iodine and wonder if some of my symptoms may be related.

Thanks,
    Angela
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Are they running the thyroid antibody test on you? If they don't run the antibody test, Hashimoto's will not show up. You have to specifically request it and make sure they do it, because most docs will not. In fact, I even had one say she would run it, then found out she never did. And I have Hashimoto's and once I did get the antibody test, it showed right up.
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Mary Shomon is a patient advocate who writes extensively, both online & in print, about thyroid issues. It's likely that your local public library would have one of her books.

"Thyroid testing" is typically a TSH screening test. A relatively indirect measure of thyroid function, being that Thyroid Stim Hormone is actually a product of the pituitary gland. Furthermore, the majority of docs & labs in the country are not yet on board with the 2003 recommendations of the American College of Endocrinology, which refined the normal reference ranges for the TSH test. Upshot: as poor a test as TSH is, many people are being told their results are normal, when those people may actually be hypothyroid.

The best tests of thyroid function are the actual levels of usable thyroid hormone in the blood. These are called "free" hormones (vs. total or bound hormone). So the tests you want to have are called Free T3 (active thyroid hormone) and Free T4 (inactive T hormone, must be converted to T3).

If you have fibro pain, the free T3 is very important. Many fibro sufferers have a normal TSH & even OK free T4, but find on testing that their free T3 is in the basement.

Thyroid antibody testing is useful as well.

Your doc is able to order these tests. If he/she refuses, there are labs where one can self-order a thyroid panel (though insurance usually won't reimburse self-ordered tests).

If you believe you have already had these tests run, it is important to obtain hard copies of the lab reports, and to see for yourself where your results fall on the reference ranges. Any free thyroid hormone level falling in the bottom quartile of the ref range is suspect due to day to day variability. If that is YOU, there are docs (not all) who will be happy to supervise a trial of low-dose thyroid hormone supplementation.

Please learn & research all you can before blindly jumping on a high-dose iodine regimen.

On the other hand, if you have few sources of iodine in your daily diet, you may want to consider whether or not you actually obtain the RDA of 150 mcg. If you take a multivite -- ck it. Some do contain the RDA for iodine. Many authorities recommend twice as much iodine per day, although NOT for people with certain thyroid conditions.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/06/2009]
  4. ANGELEO728

ANGELEO728 New Member

thank you so much for the information. I won't start any kind of regimen without researching it for sure. I've had the tsh levels checked several times in the last few years and my dr always claims they are good. I'm just tired of being tired and in pain all the time!! My life has changed so drastically in the last year. I want my life back....

Thanks,
    Angela
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

If you do wind up taking iodine, you should also be taking selenium with it. Recent studies have shown that without sufficient selenium, the iodine is unable to work rt and the T4 won't convert to T3, and too much iodine alone can actually wind up causing harm to the thyroid.

I am now wondering if it's the T4 hanging out and not converting that causes the harm, though, or if it's the iodine itself.....bc I just found out that I have normal levels of T4 but way low levels of T3 (and my Dr completely missed it - very annoying and one of the reasons for switching Drs.....I hope that her mistake is not causing damage to my thyroid)

Also, another thing to note is that if your TSH levels are low and your T3 levels are also low, it can signal that the pituitary gland is not working rt.
  6. spmom

spmom New Member

I went to the doctor intermittently over a couple of years, complaining that I was tired and down. My doc took a thyroid test each time, but then wanted to prescribe antidepressents. The symptoms would come and go, but my tests always returned "normal." When I was finally diagnosed four years later with hypothyroid, an internist gave me copies of all of the thyroid tests I had had over the years, and sure enough my TSH was what would be considered healthy. The TSH is the most common thyroid test. Ask for your number. It should be below 3. If it is even slightly above, you could be in early stages of hypothyroid like I was. About.com has a great thyroid forum for more information.
    spmom
  7. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

Despite the 'normal' range that doctors go by, a healthy TSH is around 1. Over 2.5 is not healthy, and showing that there is a problem.

As someone else has also suggested, be sure to request thyroid antibody tests.

Google complete thyroid assessment for more info about tests.