Tick Bite

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by elliespad, Oct 17, 2011.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

My son, 23, just removed a tick from his leg Saturday. The leg is very sore at the site of the bite and had a small, dime size, rash around it. Today the rash has expanded to larger than a quarter. I am hoping to get a local physician to order a course of antibiotics for him and was hoping someone could recommend the treatment protocol for him to request. Am going to try and get him to a Dr. today.

Thanks.
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your son's tick bite.

It sounds like your son has developed an erythema migrans (bullseye rash), which is diagnostic of Lyme disease.

Dr Burrascano recommends, on page 19 of this paper, that early localized lyme disease should be treated until the patient is symptom and sign free for at least one month, with a six week minimum of treatment.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Early localized lyme disease would mean he has a single erythema migrans (bullseye rash) with no constitutional symptoms.

Dr B recommends Doxycycline 200 mg twice daily with food. (to prevent nausea and vomiting)

Pages 18-19 of that paper discuss oral therapy with different meds.

99% of Dr's will not follow that protocol because they will follow the IDSA guidelines which only uses 100 mg twice daily for a shorter period of time.

That is why a Lyme literate MD is soooo important....they follow ILADS guidelines.

Plus...and this is very important.....he may have other tick-borne coinfections which need other treatment.

If your son develops other symptoms, then he needs even more aggressive treatment by LLMD because that means the infection has disseminated.

Time is of the essence here, before the infections spreads.

If he is treated with the lower doxy dose he may feel ok for awhile and then the infection could spread because it is not erradicated, and he may get symptoms later.

You can print the paper (it's long) or a portion of the paper (including the title page so the Dr can see it's a legitimate paper by an expert) and take it to the Dr.

Show him the treatment protocol Dr B recommends.

You can find a LLMD by going to lymenet.org....click on flash discussion.....sign up for free.....click on the "Seeking a Doctor" board.

Click on "Post New Topic" and create a post asking for a LLMD in your state or nearby states.

The bottom line, is that if your son has tick borne diseases, they are VERY serious.

He is likely to get undertreated by a typical Dr which could leave him chronically ill for the rest of his life.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/about_lyme.html

http://www.lymenews.org/d_CALDA_TwoStandards_7_2006.pdf
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Nanie you always come through for me and EVERYONE, thank you. Get this, I talked to three (3) different ILADS doctors' offices today, one was by email, with the doctor herself. The famous ILADS Dr. I go to, says, he would treat him with 100 mg. Doxy twice a day for 21 days. Another VERY FAMOUS Dr. said because he has the rash but no symptoms, he should be treated for one (1) month at 100 mg. twice a day. ILADS Doctor behind door #3 says, doxycycline 100mg 2 pills twice a day for a month AND If a bulls eye rash occurs the treatment should be longer- at least 6 weeks and must be symptom free before stopping treatment.

So there you have it, just like calling the IRS, 3 different calls, 3 different answers. So,,,,,,

I send him to the local walk in medical place I frequently go to. The doc there tells him he needs 100 mg. Doxy twice a day for as long as he has the rash plus 30 days after. He writes it for 60 days, gets 120 pills. Was his own protocol he follows, my son didn't ask for it. Pretty darn good for a walk in clinic hey? I'm impressed.

I will print out that paper and give him a call or a visit and see if he will consider ordering this increased dosage. If not, me thinks I will give doc #3 a call but I bet I can get this local guy to go along with it. Thanks again Nanie.
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

You're welcome!

Well, I guess all Dr's are not created equal. I think that shows why it is so important that we educate ourselves about lyme and the proper treatment, so we can make an informed decision.

Sounds like you have a good plan!

In addition to getting enough doxy, I'd watch for any other symptoms that could indicate a coinfection or the lyme infection spreading.

Hope the doxy takes care of it and your son is fine.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

So, I get an appointment for my son with ILADS Dr. #3. We go today. I go in with him. He is extremely healthy, with practically no health history. Hasn't been on an antibiotic since he was 1 1/2. Hasn't missed a day of school since 6th grade. And lived on campus for his undergrad years. So, Doc #3 is done with him in about 10 minutes. Is warning him about possible symptoms from some of the tick illness that the Doxy won't treat, and describes a list that I have suffered from. I point to me. Am I being treated she asks. No, but I'm seeing ILADS doc #2. Why isn't he treating you? He wants a positive test result. Doc insists I need to be treated. I kid you not, I walked out of there with an Rx. for 400 mg. Doxy per day. A Lab Slip for 12 months of labs to do, checking liver enzymes, etc. Another Lab Slip from IGeneX to do after being on Doxy for 2 months. All this on my sons appointment. Incredibly kind, caring, knowledgeable doctor.

Gave my son Rx. so he could take higher dose, longer AND enough in case symptoms return he can start right back on them without having to wait to get an appointment. Also Lab Slip checking Liver Enzymes, but only if he finds he has to back on them later. Amazing.

Please pray that this is what turns my health around. 32 years of this is ENOUGH! I said if I even improve 50%, I'm gonna jump over that desk and kiss you. And thanked the doc for giving me the chance to get well. I pray this is it.
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

WOW!!!

That is a wonderful ILADS Dr!

Can you tell me, using just the Dr's initial and state, which LLMD this is?

I will definitely pray for you and your son.

Remember that you have been sick for a long time (like me) and that you will not get better quickly.

In fact, you will likely feel worse first.

I hope you plan to regularly follow up with this new Dr and forget about the other one.

It often takes years of different med combos to really recover.

When I first started treating, I thought maybe I'd start to really feel great in a couple months.....but it didn't happen that way.

Slow and steady wins the race.

When is she going to see you again?

Forgive my poor memory, but are you taking the recommended supplements from Dr Burrascano's list?

See pages 27-31 of:

And eating a diet with no processed sugars and no gluten?

I am sooo happy for you to have found this Dr.

You have taken the first step to recovery! Congrats!!

[This Message was Edited on 10/25/2011]
  7. elliespad

elliespad Member

I took a look at the list of supplements. I have taken most of them in the past, but not currently. Will have to work on getting back on a lot of them. Thanks for pointing that out.

Nanie, if you want to meet me in chat I can tell you who it is, but was asked specifically to NOT put their name out there as doc is already at capacity. This doc is trying to absorb patients from another who closed up shop. Don't know if he retired, died, moved, don't know. I watch Dancing with the Stars from 8 till 10, but am up till about midnight. Just pick a time and I'll try to meet you in Lyme chat room.

[This Message was Edited on 10/25/2011]
  8. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

Since this LLMD does not want referrals and is already at capacity, there is no need for me to know who she is.

I really do appreciate your offer to meet me in chat though. Too bad the Dr does not have room for more patients, but that is common since there are so few LLMD's.

Thanks anyways!!

Have a great evening!
  9. elliespad

elliespad Member

I've been taking Doxycycline 200 mg. twice a day for 4 weeks now. The only change I've had is almost immediately my rapid/irregular heartbeat stopped. This also causes shortness of breath for me. Weird thumps and thuds and just very fast. I've been on Tenormin for this since around early 1980's. I may go days or weeks sometimes when I don't need it so initially I thought this was one of those times. Even if I don't feel I need it, my heart never felt totally normal. But, it has been 4 weeks on Doxy and NOTHING. No strange or rapid heartbeats, no shortness of breath, no expecting my heart to stop beating during my sleep.

What do you make of this? I don't think Doxy could have killed anything Lyme related that quick, IF I DO have Lyme/co-infections, but don't know what to make of this. Any thoughts?
  10. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

That is wonderful that your heartbeat and breathing have been normal on doxy.

I can't really explain it, except that it appears that lyme has adversely affected your heart and lungs and the antibiotic is helping.

Probably if you stopped the doxy so soon after starting, the symptoms would return.

Hopefully with long term treatment and other antibiotics in combination with doxy, or in other combinations without doxy, you will have many other improvements.

It is a long road, but I think it's great that you had an improvement right away!!