TICK REMOVAL pediatrician recommended using liquid soap

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shinlee, Jun 28, 2006.

1. shinlee

shinlee New Member

The following posting was recently emailed to me. Since some of our dear forum members are dealing with Lyme Disease this seems to be an appropriate posting and it just may prove helpful to anyone coming in contact with ticks.

Take care.

Lisa
    -------------------------------
    SUBECT: Tick removal

I know this is an usual e-mail but it is very useful information. Hope you never have to use it. For those of you who have small children and animals it could come in handy.

FYI -- A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share --

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great , because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc. Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and
    swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and in KY, that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"

2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and less messy

3. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks Shinlee, but, according to snopes, it is NOT a good way to remove a tick...

"Countermeasures of such nature sometimes do little to encourage a tick to detach from skin and may make matters worse by stimulating the creature to release additional saliva or regurgitate its gut contents, acts that increase the chance of its transmitting a pathogen to its host. "

My guess is nobody has tried to find out if it really works or the above happens. A quick google search didn't turn up anything else, so, you may not want to try this way unless there is no other way..

According to CDC:
    ------------
    # With tweezers, grasp the parasite close to the skin and pull it straight out.

# If you must use your fingers rather than tweezers for this operation, cover them with a tissue during the procedure and wash them after the tick has been dispatched.

# Do not twist or jerk the tick; this could cause the creature's head to separate from its body, leaving its mouth parts lodged in your skin.

# Wash the bite with antiseptic and place the tick inside a plastic container marked with the date in case it is later needed for verification of illness.

# Nail polish and petroleum jelly are not good ideas for tick removal because the tick has enough air to complete its feeding before dropping off.
    -----------

altho I'm 'gulping' a bit about the advice, there is no way to remove ticks from our touchy neurotic dogs via forceps or tissue... I've always just used my fingers so I don't pull a huge amount of hair out along with it.

all the best,
    Victoria