ticket to work program

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tcpolchies, Jun 17, 2006.

1. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

Hello again! I wanted to know if anyone else in here has been on this ticket to work program and how it effects ones benefits if at all. Im been successful in orking pt, sometimes less than that. Any feedback would be helpful. Ps. i called SSDI but tthe CSR rep was pretty vague and unknowledgable, at leats it seemed this way to me.

T~
  2. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Hi T,
    I don't really know anything about it or have an experience with it, but see if this helps any....

The Ticket to Work and Work Incentive Improvement Act was enacted on December 17, 1999. This law includes several important new opportunities for people who receive Social Security disability benefits who want to go to work.
    I. The Ticket to Work Program

What is the Ticket to Work Program?

The Ticket to Work Program offers SSA disability beneficiaries greater choice in obtaining the services they need to help them go to work and achieve their employment goals.

When did the Ticket to Work Program begin?

The regulations implementing this new program were published in the Federal Register on December 28, 2001, and they were effective 30 days after that date. The program was phased in beginning in February 2002. As of September 2004, the Ticket to Work program was available in all 50 States, the District of Columbia, as well as all the U.S. territories.

How can I get more information about the Ticket program?

SSA has contracted with MAXIMUS, Inc. to serve as the Operations Support Manager for the Ticket Program. MAXIMUS, Inc. will help us to manage the program. You can get information about the Ticket to Work Program by visiting their web page....

What is the Ticket Program?
    The Ticket to Work and Self-Sufficiency Program is an employment program for people with disabilities who are interested in going to work. The Ticket Program is part of the Ticket to Work and Work Incentives Improvement Act of 1999 – legislation designed to remove many of the barriers that previously influenced people’s decisions about going to work because of the concerns over losing health care coverage. The goal of the Ticket Program is to increase opportunities and choices for Social Security disability beneficiaries to obtain employment, vocational rehabilitation (VR), and other support services from public and private providers, employers, and other organizations.

Under the Ticket Program, the Social Security Administration (also referred to as the Agency) provides disability beneficiaries with a Ticket they may use to obtain the services and jobs they need from a new universe of organizations called Employment Networks (ENs).

MAXIMUS, a private company, has been contracted by the Social Security Administration to function as the Operations Support Manager (OSM) and the Ticket Program Data Operations Center Manager (TPDOCM). It is MAXIMUS responsibility to administer oversight and process support necessary to sustain ongoing Ticket Program Operations.

Wishing you the best
    mrs

3. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

tcpolchies:

I got a 'ticket to work' in the mail. They said to bring it virtually anywhere.

It took me so long to get SSD and all of the suddenly they must think I am cured.

I can not stand the SSA.

IRS, yes. SSA, no.

nyrofan
  5. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

thats aweful. Well I signed up in 2000 through an online agency that didnt work with me. I signed up then went out and got my own job as i have always in the past. I had to lie about my condition when i filled out the application (informed SSDI about htis as well) cuase prior to this no one would hire me. I got the training i needed and since my X stopped CS i had to do something. we ere in dire straights so i would get jobs x3 preveiously and failed each time to maintain them due to my condition flare ups. So in reality the ticket only permitted me to seek employment on a trial basis and i can work PT for now until i am out of remission again adn i dont know when that will be i hope not to soon. i really want to be self sufficient but in all reality i cant support me and my little boy on pt income and cant work FT cause i always end up in bed for 2-3 weeks or 1-3 months to recover. Im scared. Im afraid they may take my SSDI benefits away then i will have another set back just from worrying about it. What to do...

Thaks for your replies fellow fibromites!

6. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

Guess i was trying to find out more on PT Vs. FT and how it is taken by SSDI. Since I am unable to maintain a FT job due to my condition how will they handle my progress and how will it effect my benefit.

Thaks for the reply.

T~
  7. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I called Maximus because there is only one local contractor here. They told me to go ahead and call anywhere in the country because if it came up under my location, that contractor had jobs here. How in the hell can someone in Michigan help me in Florida? They are supposed to help with a lot more than a job. They are supposed to help with counseling, resumes, and skills training.

I plan to look further into it because I think if one uses TTW, it is better for protecting one's benefits.

Love, Mikie
  9. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

Initially I got a list of ticket to work providers. There supposed to be some one in your local area not 1,000 mi away, LOL. My goodness I wonder whats up with MAXIMUS. Im assuming it is a referla program? To be quite honest with you, the net work i chose from SSDI list is: http://www.aaatakecharge.com/ I assigned my ticket to them because they are the only ones who will pay back something as long as you continue to be off SSDI benefits. But in reading there elegibility criteria you have to be making at least 800.00 a month which i am not since I am only PT and cant work FT cause of my condition. Im scared in thinking worse scenario SSDI take my benefits away at PT only. Still i have this ongoing partial disability. Wondering what will become of us. Oh, btw, anyone on the ticket to work program has to report there prgress at the ninth month weather consecutive or not with work pt or ft that much i inderstand. I'll let you know the outcome when i hear from them in the mail.

So, Im assuming no one else on this site has taken advantage of the ticket then? If so what was the outcome favorable or not?

T~
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That $860 is the maximum you can make before SS figures you are capable of significant work. What a joke. That is what drives people to work for cash under the table.

It is also my understanding that if one uses the Ticket To Work Program, SS will not take away one's benefits.

I think this is just another govt. mess of red tape.

Love, Mikie
  11. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

In re-reading my own information just now im wondering if i have achieved or failed in this program since i am only on a pt basis. am i screwed regardless? If I have achieved SSDI requirement under the ticket to work program by working, consecutively for 9 mo's, on a PT basis but not grosing the 800.00 they may terminate my benefits? But then if i failed by not grosing the 800.00 a mo., non self sufficient then I cant work pt anymore but still receieve my benefits? Thsi is insane! If they would only make Child support policys more strictor by automatically updating current child support orders and enforcing garnishments automatically regardless if a non custodial parent is paying this would be more effective in aid in becoming self sufficient. Think so? Without CS we cant live period. With SSDI cant live. I dont qualify for other resources in my state do to the small amount of CS we get yet the courts in CA., -interstate ask that i update the order accordling in NM., which i cannot afford the telephonic hearing which is not covered by the pro se or fre process order. Im in a rut! LOL! Oh my it is truly a MANS world.

T~
  12. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

Ever get the feelign of just giving up and walking off into the world. Im tired of worrying, all my life has been one big fat worry. I wish my sons father would get his act together and partake of nurturing our son physically. some days i just want to sleep and i know its the PTSD and depression from th ebody pain and every day life. Ever get that feeling?

T~
  13. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

14. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

they have someone there that helps finds us a job to help suit our disabilies....she did explain to me that really the ticket didn't mean any more than , "you do not need to get a medical evaluation by ssa for 5 years"...

the main idea is to try and get us off from ssi/and or ssdi...

our state of california has a program for health insurance for the disabled...so we don't lose our medical insurance...and still pay a minimal premium...

but for me to lose all of my disability income completely i will need to have a very good paying job....w/benefits...

i told her i can not just take any old job...she said they try to find us jobs in non-profit organizations...

well i need to go..

jodie
    ps...they make us here go through state vocational rehab..

i have a form to fill out..they give you a counseling appt in 2-3 weeks, then they decide how disabled you are....then if you are too disabled they will not help you....then you are put on a list if you are possible able to get voc rehab...kicker is you have to choose a jobe that is on the most wanted list....

who the heck are they to tell me to be a nurse...they can not...

you can go and look for your jobs...and do what mikie says...

cash under the table... and keep it out of the bank people...put in a nice safe or a really trusting person's account...that is not behind on child support or you think may claim bankruptcy some day..

i will fill out those papers...but i think i will re-educate myself on my own...

jodie [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2006]
  15. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

A couple years back i went through DV here in NM., and the lady there was very impatient with me. But back then I was worse off, not on meds or pain killers of any sort or pt. So my attention span was out of wack s well as my memory. Still is only Im using memory techniques to aid in recalling certain events and notes. that doesnt always work either, lol. Anway, DVR rejected my application for employment/educational assistance. I got into it with the sup. Yea, I know not a good thing but I couldnt help it. Wanted help not getting it. They wrote me the SWEETEST lil letter of rejection. That why I just go out and get my own jobs which for the most isnt a problem its just holding them down long enough cause I get so sick all of a sudden.

T~
  16. dmhtwice

dmhtwice New Member

I tossed them in the TRASH....Once on SSDI they can't make me work unless they prove I can..And if my doc says I can't then I'm not... Believe me if I felt like a normie I would but I kinda forgot what that feeling was...
  17. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Well, I had been out on disab. last year for 6 mths.- 2 weeks before I was to go back to work as trial basis- they terminated my employment(did me a favor)- I tried for LTD through ole place of employment denied of course- so I begged my doctor to let me try and work and received unemployment- I looked for work but since I was a dislocated worker with limitations they offered a adult vocational training.

I worked on this since Feb. got my grants and with the help
    of Vesid have been accepted to start my training this fall-excited about this...

I talked to some group about applying for SSD while I went to school to be re-trained and have disab. they told me SSD would look at you as if you can go to school you can work- I am not a believer in our system anymore. Guess I did this backwards- or should keep fighting for everything I should be entitled too.

But I know someone, who has been on SSDI and they have helped educate her to work from home- she cannot medically drive and is limited in what she can do.

Sorry, I get long winded- and anxious when I think about the Government
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One of the reasons I've been trying to get well is so that I can work part time. I can't live in SSD alone and I can't keep reducing my savings. I also need to work to get out of the house and be around people again. Lordy, my life's been too isolated the last few years.

All I want is a job which will not make me worse and one which will not put my SSD benefits in jeopardy. If one can work withoug being reviewed for five years, I have it made. By then, I'll be on regular SS. I need to go check the rules on that stuff again.

Love, Mikie