Tigger's Adventures with the New Rheumy!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tigger57, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Well, I went to the rheumy... I hate tourists. The traffic was horrible. When he saw me he knew we had met. I told him I was at the support group meeting he spoke at in South County. He remembered me and that I had gastric by-pass and wanted to know about the job. He and I had talked about it that night because I felt I was going to lose the job.

He didn't really give me an exam because My PCP had already given him a lot of info and she and I both gave him access to my file with her.

He looked at my hands and feet and asked me if I'd ever been diagnosed with Reynaud's Syndrome. I said it had been mentioned, but never an official diagnosis. He said... "Consider it official." My hands and feet turn blue when I'm in air conditioning or when it's cold out (cold being anything below 70 degrees).

He then wanted to put me on MS Contin, but it's time released and my stomach won't break it down because of the gastric by-pass surgery. So, he's trying me with oxycodone and wants me to take it on a regular schedule, NOT when the pain is just so bad. He said he'd go through my file with my PCP and make copies of all the tests so that I don't have to do them again. I'm going to contact my friends in WA (where I had my surgery) and see if they know what kind of med that I'm able to take. He mentioned the duragesic patch, but wants to work up to that.

He also said that more info is coming out that the brain of a person with fibro is about 10 years older than their actual age (hence, fibro fog) and that in the future they WILL realize that it IS progressive. He also believes it's more of a neurological problem or an auto immune problem and in the future it will be treated as so.

Then he told me bad news. He said that the job situation in RI is very bad right now and he knows lots of people who have left the state in search of work elsewhere. Didn't want to hear that.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm trying to get my thoughts together as I'm typing.

I had printed out a list of stuff for him and he said he'd keep it in my file "just in case"... the just in case is for the day when I have to apply for SSDI. He said it may never happen, but "just in case".

I can't think of anything else, but he promised to help me and if I have problems I'm to call him. I'm glad my PCP already told him about me. He said that she spoke very highly of my intelligence and the fact that I'm very honest with her. If I need a med, I ask for it... if I don't need one, I won't even take the prescription.

That's all I can think of right now. It's been a long, long day. I'm pooped.
    Hugs,
    Tigger

2. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I'm glad you had a good appointment. This doctor sounds really good - you should "keep" him. He sounds like he really wants to help you.

I'm sorry about the work situation. I used to live in Rhode Island and know that sometimes the economy gets depressed. I hope you can find something!!!!

Keep us informed as to what's going on!

Love,
    BxGirl
  3. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

At this point I would settle for collecting unemployment for a little while... at least until we get this DD under control.

This guys is the first REAL hope that I've had. He's not against prescribing stronger meds when it's necessary. That made me feel good. Since my by-pass surgery, I don't absorb alot and a lot of things are trial and error.

I'm keeping him. He's very sweet and caring. You can't ask for more than that.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  4. itzmeannie

itzmeannie New Member

I wish my PCP would prescribe MS Contin. Although the Oxycodone does a good job getting rid of the pain, I am awakened in the middle of the night when it has worn off.

I'm only allowed 2 every four hours, (although the pain returns after three hours) so there's a period around 2 AM where the pain has returned, but no pills are alloted. I end up laying awake and in pain until I have to get up at 6 and go to work.

I have repeatedly asked my PCP for a timed release pain medication but instead she throws another AD my way which I have to end up going off of due to the terrible side effects. I'm beyond frustrated.

If you don't mind me asking, how many Oxycodones is he allowing per day?
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

What a wonderful find! He sounds very compassionate. Doesn't it make you feel better just to know someone is in your corner?
    My doctor will only give me an NSAID for degenerative disc disease - because he will not read the report from the radiologist from 2004.
    It is so depressing and demoralizing to not have my pain addressed. Rhode Island is a long drive from Texas.
  6. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Isn't it nice to find a doctor who believes in your illness and is interested in helping you live a more comfortable life?

I've been with a doctor like that for 15 years, and I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world. He's also responsible for sending me for my sleep study that found my alpha intrusion.

I read so many posts here from folks who can't get pain meds. I even had a call from a local nurse who works with and knows doctors who won't give her any pain meds. I feel so sorry when I read the posts as I suffer with meds. I can't imagine how I would live without them.

I pray every night that either someone will find a cure or the medical profession will realize that fms patients need pain medication.

We are the lucky ones. I just wish everyone else could have the same success.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

abbylee
  7. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

He prescribed 5mg oxycodone twice a day. Believe me, it's not enough. He doesn't quite understand how my altered anatomy works (because of the surgery) so I think he's buying himself a little time to learn a little more.

He really is in my corner though, and I appreciate it.

Now we just have to figure out what is going to work.

My lower back is still killing me though.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Too bad we can't have more of this believing, caring kind of rheumy...

And tell him the current dose of meds is not doing enough for you....it certainly sounds like he'll believe you, and also that he will really listen to your experience with meds (based on how your surgery affects you, med absorption, etc.) and act on it...although, as you said, give him time to get up to speed with you.

But he definitely sounds like a keeper, you are lucky to have found him!

Pam
  9. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Hi Tigger I'm in RI also. Is there any chance I could have his name? I fired my Rheumy . I need new one that understands FM & CFS.
    Thank you. I'm so clad for you.
    Sue
  10. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

Im glad you found a new good dr i think of you often all

the bad things going on in your life im glad things are better.

one thing he said that upsets me is the brain thing im not g
    gonna think my brain is 10 yrs older 57 is bad enough lol

hugs to you tigger
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

So glad you found a good one!! That's sooooo important.

It's also a long drive from Kentucky to RI, or I'd be waiting in his office, too!

I have an appt. with my Rheumy tomorrow. Yuck! He's a real joke, but there's only two around here, and he is the lesser of two evils!!

He believes in no narcotics, only Tylenol Arthritis Strength. He lectures me about dieting and exercising at each visit, and I hate that!!

I try to stay on a diabetic diet and I can't exercise because I can't walk and stand up for more than 10 minutes!! Now I have a pinched nerve in my lumbar spine that has my right leg and foot numb, so I can't exercise!!

I'm really dreading tomorrow!

((Hugs))
    Janet
  12. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Tigger, I'm so glad to hear that you've found this doc. He sounds like my old PCP (the one who left private practice -- traitor!)

Is it oxyIR that you'll be taking? Maybe that will be a better choice anyhow, because it it *cheap*. Just doesn't last as long is all. If we ever lose our Rx coverage I'm going to go to that full time. Right now the insurance co covers oxycontin, but I'd never be able to afford it myself.

So sorry the job situation in RI is so bad -- glad the doc situation is great.

love & blessings
    mar
  13. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

His name is Dr. Edward Reardon. He has offices in Warwick, East Greewich and Middletown.

He really impressed me.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  14. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Thank Im gonna give him a try.
    hugs
    Sue
  15. mhammie

mhammie New Member

Tigger,

Really happy to hear that there is at least one doctor that is willing to work with you and is compassionate & caring.

I have only one option left as far as getting treated by a rheumy. He is 1 1/2 hrs from my home, and it literally takes months to get an appt.

I like my new internist, but she won't give anything stronger that celebrex. She offered me samples the other day. Told her I have tried celebrex and it doesn't help. Have samples left of Bextra. I was so stupid that I didn't get my Bextra rx filled before it was pulled. I can imagine that once the Bextra is gone my husband will be taking me to the ER. Hopefully they won't just assume I'm looking to get drugs, just relieve. I hate taking meds, so the fewer the better.

If he has a brother or a sister that are rhuemy's ask him to send them to Iowa. I live in the 2nd largest city in the state. We have only 3 rheumy's in the same office. The one I saw years ago, I refuse to see. I tried to get into see the newest one. His office told my PCP they don't see patients with chronic pain. O.K. their rheumatologists, who do they treat????????????? Something is wrong with that picture!!!!

Hope you get the answers and help your looking for.

Take care,
    Mhammie