tight jaw?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by boscosmom, May 24, 2008.

1. boscosmom

boscosmom New Member

does anyone get a very tight jaw and upper back and neck?
    it feels so clostrophobic almost...and makes my whole face feel tight
    please anyone else?
    ty, sc
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

I hate it!!
    I'm not sure whats causing it. Could be an acual neck problem for me??? or TMJ? Its tight and stiff.
    try a warm wet towel around your neck,... that helps some.
    But really,... nothing helps alot. Mine gets better on its own in a few days.

3. poets

poets Member

I get so spasmed I have trouble opening my mouth. Also trouble turning my head. Everything's tight all the way down to my shoulder blades. I've had TMJ problems and had surgery for it back in 1990. It really helped but it still gets tight from time to time.
  4. hi all,

my jaw problem was extreme pain and tightness,until i started eating pumpkin seeds.

they reduce inflamation,and my jaw problem is now resolved.

they have other good properties too.

ill eat them for the rest of my life now.

take care,love fran
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

I have problems with my jaw as well. You can try some acupressure, which might help release it a bit. Or, look for Clair Davies book on trigger point therapy and the exercises there. There is a good chance that those will help, although the area will be VERY PAINFUL to massage at first.

A long time ago I put some descriptions here. I'll try to see if I can find the links.
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

----------------------------
    I noticed that there were others here who, like me, have problems with their jaw -- either pain, or clenching, etc. Since this is such a long-standing problem with me, I've tried lots of things for it. One that is very low-tech is acupressure.

The book "Acupressure's Potent Points: A Guide to Self-Care for Common Ailments" by Michael Reed Gach (Bantam Books, 1990) is a very good starting point for beginners. It is broken down into about 40 common complaints (including jaw problems), clearly shows the acupressure points related and describes how to find them, gives several exercises (worked into a routine) for how to address them, and includes photos. Since they don't involve any equipment, it's something that you can do yourself and can be done anywhere to release tension (if you don't mind looking a bit strange for a couple of minutes!). I find they help before bed as well.

It would be too long to list them here, but here are a couple to try. If you spend a few minutes making sure you understand each one, they are easy to remember. The names are from their Chinese origins:

Jaw Chariot Point -- between upper and lower jaw where the muscle bulges when you clench your back teeth...Place the heel of each hand on this point (fingers pointing to the back of your neck). Feel the muscle that pops out when you clench. Press directly (gently!) on this muscle with your teeth slightly apart and breathe deeply for a minute. Move your jaw gently left and right, taking a few more breaths.

Now place you index and middle fingertips on these points and press firmly for a minute. Gradually increase pressure to create a *mild* (but tolerable) pain. Breathe into the pain w/eyes closed and release the tension in the jaw muscles. End w/30 seconds of light pressure, feeling for a pulsation in the fingertips (pulse indicates the 'healing energy' is circulating in the jaw).

Wind Screen Point -- in the indentation underneath the earlobes...place middle fingers at this point and gradually apply light pressure behind your jawbone (the book cautions this is usually a very tender point -- strangely enough, the only one on me that usually isn't) and hold for a minute taking deep breaths.

Listening Place (A)/Ear Gate (B)/Reunion of Hearing(C): "A" is right in front of the ear in the depression that enlarges when you open your mouth. "B" is 1/2" above, "C" 1/2" below...with mouth slightly open, place middle fingertips on points "A", then place index and ring fingertips alongside on "B" and "C" points. Apply firmest pressure for a minutes on "C".

Gates of Consciousness: On the upper part of your neck at the base of the skull in the hollows about 2"-3" apart...place your thumbs at these points (palms will be over your ears, and fingers will point to the top of your head). Slowly tilt head back at you press up and under your skull. Hold these points and breathe deeply for a couple of minutes -- until you feel the pulsation -- then slowly release.

I definitely recommend this book. The shoulder, neck and headache sections are well-used in our household.

----------------------------
  7. Juloo

Juloo Member

Hope I'm describing these right -- see Clair Davies book (2nd or 1st ed.) on Trigger Point Therapy.

Wash hands.

First exercise: Using right hand, put thumb into mouth in back of left cheek (right index and middle fingers on outside of left cheek). Press gently on 'fat pad' area of cheek -- you'll no doubt find a VERY VERY tender area (I almost passed out the first time), which you should gently hold for several seconds until the pain begins to diminish. Do this several times a day. As the pain decreases, spend more time pressing a little more firmly, and massage a little. (Repeat on right cheek w/left hand.)

Second exercise: Using pad of right index finger, slide past the bottom molar on left side of teeth into the hard muscle that connects the lower and upper teeth. In some people there is a shallow vertical groove. Massage firmly UP several times. This is another one that is going to hurt like hell. You can also use the pad of your thumb for this. (Repeat on opposite side w/right hand.)

BE CAREFUL not to be too enthusiastic with these. It's okay to start slow and gentle.

The first time I experienced how much pain these trigger points put out, I couldn't believe I was walking around with so much pain in my body. After I'd done massage for several days, it entirely went away. That, coupled with an NTI-TSS device for nighttime bruxism really helped a lot of jaw problems.

[This Message was Edited on 05/25/2008]
  8. hi all,

my doctor,at my latest hospital appointment,says that im not to try and open my mouth TOO wide.

he realised that with the CFS,i yawn alot in the daytime.

he said i should,cup my hand,and place the hand under the chin,then yawn.

this prevents the thing that he said wasnt a actual dislocation,but was near that point.

im not getting that jaw pain and inflamation while im eating pumpkin seeds.

the doctor said that he,s going to buy some for himself too.

love fran
  9. boscosmom

boscosmom New Member

10. Chilene

Chilene New Member

boscomom--

yep, got that. never even think to talk about it, what with all else. i also have herniated discs in my neck so that whole area is constantly tight and either in pain (or numb or both).

sorry i don't have much to add, but i have learned a good bit from this thread (like maybe NOT to open my jaw so wide that it cracks. i do that alot!)... and the yawning issue.. .

hmm... wonder if this is also why i get like jaw/muscle "twitches" sometimes from the tight muscles relaxing(?) when i lay down for sleep?... thanks for the topic!

helene