Tight Pants: A Hidden Culprit That Can Cause Nerve Damage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Oct 5, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Sounds strange but this has, in fact, been medically documented.

In a letter to the editor of the Canadian Medical Association Journal, one doctor treated numerous women with a burning sensation on their thighs.

All had recently worn tight-fitting hip-huggers. Upon switching to dresses, the women's conditions cleared up.

This is called Femoral Cutaneous Neuropathy. In simple terms, it is a condition in which the nerves get squashed.

So .... we need to quit wearing such tight pants/jeans!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2005]
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Janet, I wear elastic waist shorts right now. I usually wear them in the house year around. When I go out and have to wear slacks, they are all elastic waist.

I can't get into my jeans yet. Probably need to lose 50 pounds to do that.

I've lost 13 pounds and I can't tell it at all.

BTW, my husband bought the black unsweetened cherry juice and it has way too many calories (180 for 8 oz.) and way too many carbs. I'm just using it for low blood sugar right now, but won't have him buy anymore.

Big hugs,
    Faye
  3. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I recently had to have an ultrasound done on my leg and learned that pressure on the abdomen can inhibit blood flow to the legs!

The tech. put the microphone thing on an artery/vein in the leg; when she pressed on my abdomen the blood-sound paused and started again when she let up.

Same thing the other direction -- when she pressed on my foot, the blood-sound paused and then started again when she let up!

So it appears like tight pants (and maybe even tight shoes!) can actually inhibit the blood flow to your legs and feet. That can't be healthy over the long term!

Best wishes,
    Janelle

(and no-- tight pants were not the cause of the problem with my leg!)[This Message was Edited on 10/05/2005]
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I really wondered how many of us really had to worry about this!!!!! LOL

I, too, remember in the late 60's and early 70's when I would lay down on the bed to get my jeans zipped!! Boy, were those the days! I was soooooo uncomfortable in them! I don't know how I could breathe!!

I agree about them being too tight in the stomach would also affect the blood flow to your legs.

I don't have to worry about any of it! I normally wear my long lounging housecoat around the house all day and all evening!! I hate wearing clothes! When I go out, my tops and slacks are definitely loose enough to breathe, because I go for comfort way before I consider the looks or style!!

This info caught my eye because my right leg and foot are numb because of this pinched nerve in my back -- and I know they have good blood flow!!

Take care,
    Janet