Tilt table test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by acuario, Mar 19, 2007.

1. acuario

acuario New Member

Hi, I would like to know where can I take the "Tilt table test" what kind of doctor do this test?? thakn you.

Acuario
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

It costs lots of $, so I hope you have insurance.

First they clamp you down on a table and give you a drug to speed up your heart rate. Target is 220 - your age.

After things stabilize, the table is tilted to 70° and your blood pressure has to recover by a certain time.

I failed this one and passed out. My diastolic (lower number) was too low. The remedy was to eat more salt.

The EKG was a little weird but two cardiologists didn't seem concerned just noting that it was off. Epstein-Barr virus and the toxic metal Antimony can affect an EKG. I have both.
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

A cardio or neurologist can order this for you.

I had this test done and it helped to diagnose my dysautonomia (POTS and NMS). It was worth getting the test done but it is expensive as it requires a Dr and several nurses to perform the test and is usually held in a hospital.

They may or may not need to give you the drug to increase your heart rate. Usually they start the test without it and see what your body does under normal conditions, then if you don't pass out they try it again with the drug. The drug is meant to simulate a stressful situation.

I responded in the first 10 min or so so they did not have to use the drug on me.

Sofi
  4. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Sofi, was your hospital site familiar with FM/CFS patients? I understand some hospital staff is unfamiliar with our health problems. Did they seem to understand what POTS would do to you & how you would react?

best thoughts
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

When I had the test done I didn't mention my FM diagnosis. My cardiologist ordered the test based on my symptoms of blacking out, racing heart and fatigue.

When I had the test done they were very sympathetic to how life-altering POTS and dysautonomia can be.

Although, they didn't take me too seriously before the test. The Dr said the test would probably be a waste of time. But after the test everyone took me more seriously.

It was an awful feeling. I was throwing up, couldn't see and in and out of consiousness. My heart rate jumped up and my BP dropped drastically. It felt like my body was drained of its blood.

They also did an echocardiogram and found MVP.

What are your reasons for wanting the test? What are your symptoms?

Sofi
  6. acuario

acuario New Member

thank you all. yes I have health insurance. I have red about dysautonomia and it is very interesting. I am lightheaded and have fogybrain all the time. also my blood pressure is low. I just want to rule out all posible causes. Thank you all.

acuario
  7. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Sofi,

were you restricted by water or salt or meds before the test?
  8. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I don't remember a lot of restrictions. They may have told me not to eat breakfast to reduce the vomiting. They didn't restrict my salt or fluids.

Are you getting the test done or have you had it done? If so what was your experience? What are your symptoms?

Sofi