Tilt Table Test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dara, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Dara

Dara New Member

I am scheduled for a tilt table test towards the end of April. I am having it done in the Cardiology Department, the Echo Lab. I was scheduled for one before but had to cancel it. For the first one they told me I would need someone to come with me because some people are unable to drive afterwards. When I scheduled this appointment the nurse told me that I wouldn't need anyone to drive me. She said if there were any side affects, like nausea or dizzines, that it would go away in a very short time and that I would be able to drive. Have any of you who have had this tilt table test done had any lasting side affects from it, and would you have been able to drive yourself home afterwards?

Dara
  2. OHELPME

OHELPME New Member

HI IT'S STASHA I'M ALSO HAVING THAT TEST DONE IN APRIL AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE SAME .ARE YOU HAVING IT DONE FOR LOW BLOOD PRESSURE? I AM BUT A CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF WHAT THERE LOOKING FOR?I HOPE ALL IS WELL FOR YOU.. I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW MY TEST GOES & PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOUR'S GOES GOOD LUCK!! STASHA ( JUST IN CASE YOU FORGOT I'M IN PORTLAND IN THE FIBRO STUDY @ OHSU)
  3. mojo_jm

mojo_jm New Member

HI all Yes I have had mutliple tilt table test and while I can say personaly I was nauseus and blacked out during the test (i was positive for NMH) the after effects did go away after the test and I was allowed to sit down I did drive home almost everytime but a couple of times I had someone drive me. My doctor for this condition is a cardioligist and she does nor require a driver for the test. I can tell you it is not a pleasent test under any circumstance and if you have NMH (nueraly mediated hypotention = low blood pressure ) it is down right misserable. Good luck
    Joe
  4. gcalex

gcalex New Member

I had the test and nothing at all happened, but then again my result was negative. If you really are reluctant to do the test, in both Dr. David Bell's book and Dr. Teitlebaum's book they describe much simpler tests for neurally mediated hypotension, just involving standing for a while and taking your blood pressure. If, however, you are having it done to check cardiac issues as well, and perhaps that is the case given where you are having it, then perhaps it is a necessary evil. I cannot imagine that any effects would be lasting, even if there were some temporary unpleasant ones.
  5. JAREDKIRI

JAREDKIRI New Member

Hi,

I had the tilt table test done and passed out. My BP went to 60/40. You should have someone with you.

Brenda
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

talk about mixed messages here!! Gee, now do I go it alone or do I have someone go with me??? I didn't realize there were so many others from Portland, and yes I'm having mine done at OHSU. Originally I was suppose to have it done at the Outpatient & physical therapy location, but because I also have tachacardia they are doing it in Cardiology on the hill. The thing that it strange about all of this is that I have high blood pressure, take two different medications for it. I'm not sure exactly why she thinks I might have neuraly mediated hypotention.

Lifer, yes filing for disability is a long, hard process. It has been over a year now that I originally filed and am still appealing SSD and LTD, but there's no way I could go back to work now.

Stasha & Lifer - do any of you have a FMS support group in Portland that you go to?

Dara
  7. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I send pt's for tilt table test on regular basis. Whatever happens they fix your bp before you leave if it drops...they even fix the patient before sending them back to us. The thing I have noticed is that some people are really tired afterwards. If you have someone available to drive I would take advantage of it. If not, just let the nurse know if you don't feel ready to leave right afterwards. Susan
  8. mommy1325

mommy1325 New Member

Hello Dara,
    I was having episodes of passing out for about two weeks before my test was done and they had no idea why. When I had my test done I got very dizzy and my knees buckled a few times like I was going to go out but that was it. I was fine immediatly after the test. I was on dr. restriction- I was not allowed to drive anyway so I had my husband there with me. If I needed to drive, I would have been able to. Good luck with your test.
    take care
    Stephenie
  9. teach6

teach6 New Member

While I didn't pass out from mine, I still had a positive test. My daughter drove me there and picked me up. I was really out of it afterwards, so I was glad I had made those arrangements.

What surprised me the most was that it took me an entire month to fully recover from the test. My fatigue was much worse for that month and I had to really cut back from my usual activities, which are already cut back from what I could do a few years ago.

We each react differently with these DD's, but I do think it is better to be prepared for the worst and not need it, rather than be unprepared and need it.

Barbara
  10. OHELPME

OHELPME New Member

WOW NOW I'M SCARED TO HAVE THE TEST DONE? BUT I 'M GOING TO BECAUSE IF I DO HAVE NMH? THEY SAY WITH MEDS I WILL FEEL BETTER AND AT THIS POINT I'LL TAKE ANYTHING PRE 3MONTHS AGO AND I THOUGHT THAT WAS BAD! ANYWAY ABOUT THE SUPPORT GROUP YES I KNOW OF ONE,AND YES I WENT ,BUT I DIDN'T LIKE IT I DON'T WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE INCASE SOMEONE BELONGS?BUT I CAN TELL YOU THROUGH THE FIBRO CLINIC @OHSU THEY HAVE NAMES SINCE I'M IN THE STUDY I'LL ASK FOR YOU AND LET YOU KNOW. THE ONLY REASON I HAVN'T IS BECAUSE OF THE BAD EXPERIENCE. AND I'M A SINGLE MOM AND THIS IS SO WONDERFUL I CAN FIND GREAT SUPPORT AT ALL HOURS,MOST OF THE TIME WHILE MY DAUGHTER IS ASLEEP!TAKE CARE AND I'LL CHAT WITH YOU SOON ,STASHA
    [This Message was Edited on 04/01/2003]
    BY THE WAY HI LIFR2THIS IT NICE TO KNOW THERE ARE A FEW OF US HERE IN PORTLAND! [This Message was Edited on 04/01/2003]