time for a new primary doc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Oct 2, 2002.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I saw my primary doc yesterday, just a routine check back visit. He refused to even discuss the mycoplasma idea or try to order the lab tests for it, because it is "not within the standard of care". He would not listen to the fact that he's tried everything in his standard of care, and I still don't have my life back. He did tell me he wouldn't mind if I consulted other doctors, perhaps who specialize in FMS and/or infectious diseases. How kind of him. He did say he would request myofacial release therapy for me, after I explained what it is... He wasn't happy with my request for a copy of my lab results, either, but did give me one. (All the values are ok, fortunately. Why would that be so tough to share? Gee, you'd think sharing information would be important!)

I think this doc is great for usual and general illnesses, but is out of his league with FMS, and won't admit it. Time for me to look for a new doc who is more open minded and accepting of treatments outside the AMA party line. I remember seeing an ad for a new, young, osteopath who joined a medical group local to me recently. Now if I can find out who he is, maybe I'll interview him. Actually, I'm pretty fed up with doctors in general at the moment, and plan to take back control of my own health. Isn't that the best way to be self empowered anyway?

I am saddened by this turn of events, but I have to face facts, and this is a big one. If I am to feel better and maybe even beat this DD, I will have to do so on my own. The doctor must be a participant only, I am the director and driver here. I don't see any other way.

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

I saw my primary doc yesterday, just a routine check back visit. He refused to even discuss the mycoplasma idea or try to order the lab tests for it, because it is "not within the standard of care". He would not listen to the fact that he's tried everything in his standard of care, and I still don't have my life back. He did tell me he wouldn't mind if I consulted other doctors, perhaps who specialize in FMS and/or infectious diseases. How kind of him. He did say he would request myofacial release therapy for me, after I explained what it is... He wasn't happy with my request for a copy of my lab results, either, but did give me one. (All the values are ok, fortunately. Why would that be so tough to share? Gee, you'd think sharing information would be important!)

I think this doc is great for usual and general illnesses, but is out of his league with FMS, and won't admit it. Time for me to look for a new doc who is more open minded and accepting of treatments outside the AMA party line. I remember seeing an ad for a new, young, osteopath who joined a medical group local to me recently. Now if I can find out who he is, maybe I'll interview him. Actually, I'm pretty fed up with doctors in general at the moment, and plan to take back control of my own health. Isn't that the best way to be self empowered anyway?

I am saddened by this turn of events, but I have to face facts, and this is a big one. If I am to feel better and maybe even beat this DD, I will have to do so on my own. The doctor must be a participant only, I am the director and driver here. I don't see any other way.

Peace,
    Beth.
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

I've got the Clair Davies book, slowly learning how to mash the trigger points. Does seem to help, but I need to spend more time with it. Slowly for me!

Thanks, Beth.