Time management problems?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shootingstar, May 4, 2006.

1. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Does anyone else have problems accomplishing things during the day?

I get up in the morning with good intentions, and almost nothing gets done. If I don't make a conscious effort to be aware of what I am doing I find I leave a trail of open cupboard doors, clothes, clutter etc. behind.

I've tried making lists -- helps to some extent -- but continue to have problems, a good share of which are due to fatigue, poor stamina, poor condentration. Still feel as though I should be able to accomplish more.

Any suggestions welcome.
  2. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

You sound like ME! The only thing that may help is a site called flylady on yahoo.

it's really a good motivator. And you would swear that
    she was in your house with the stories!

Have you tried setting a timer for 20 mins max? That is the
    average time span a person can consintrate.
    I use 3!
    It is soooo frustrating that the things you USED to do in a breeze takes days or weeks. So sad.

Baby steps......

I make a list as well adn cross off what I have done.

Wishng you the best

wildflowers2
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes, I am not working at the moment and I wonder how people do things who work, as I turn around and the time is gone.

I used to be so good with time too. I have to make lists. Then today we went the wrong date to a dental appt with our son. Even with a list, that fog.

Love Anne C
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm smiling because I suspect the problem isn't time management as much as it is energy management as it has been for me.

Finally (a bit anal retentive, I admit, but it works) I learned to make a list on the weekend of all the things that MUST be done the coming week - beginning with appointments, then bill paying, laundry, grocery shopping, etc. down to the things that I'd LIKE TO do or accomplish like visits with my granddaughters, getting my hair cut.

Unless I have an appointment which takes priority, I try to pick one thing from the list every morning. ONE thing. And if I'm going out, I organize my errands so that I do things located on the right side of the streets going, then on the left side of the streets returning.

I simply cannot plan a full day and often it's only every other half day. Some weeks not everything gets done and unfortunately it's usually things on my Want To list that go undone. If so, I move one Want To thing to my Must Do list the next week - except for vacuuming about which I agree with Roseanne Barr: "...when they come up with a riding model...."

Don't blame yourself when there are days when nothing seems to get accomplished; you're doing your best - unless you're spending too much time online which is a temptation we must avoid for the sake of our mental and physical health.

Speaking of which, I need to get moving a little.

Hugs,
    Marta
  5. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

She encourages us to just do one thing for 15 minutes and then stop. She has us set up our routines. Mine is"

Morning: Get dressed, have devotions, feed the animals and plan supper. I usually have this done by 3:00pm LOL

Afternoon is e-mails, straighten the house (not clean it), dishes if needed, laundry if needed, read the mail and fix supper. And even that takes all my energy. On flare days I stay in bed.

Always available tasks include errands, pay bills,plan menus, switch out summer clothes and winter clothes etc.but they are only done on a good day or a crisis.

I no longer take responsibility for Breakfast or Lunch and I do not take trips.
  6. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

for the helpful suggestions. I just checked out the flylady.net site, and it is practical and great, breaks things down into something manageable.

I seem to have mind-clutter, forget what I'm doing, get overwhelmed as more and more unfinished things pile up around me. Not enough energy to go around. It has been self-defeating.

Thanks so much!

7. libra55

libra55 New Member

Like you I was scattered and leaving stuff all over.

I do the usual stuff - dishes, laundry, bills etc. BUT as far as cleaning and straightening go I confine it to ONE ROOM AT A TIME. One day I'll work on only the bedroom. The next day I'll do only kitchen stuff. And so on.

This gives me at least one clean room to look at and I feel some accomplishment.

My problem is my messy family that undoes what I do but I just keep at it.

Hope this helps!
    Michelle