Timing of Supplements

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swimmer71, Mar 12, 2006.

1. swimmer71

swimmer71 New Member

Is it ok to take supplements all at once, or should I be spreading them out individually? I take a few more than once, but take them in batches.

This is all so confusing. I take things that I read about here on the board, such as magnesium, pathohenic acid, vitamin b complex, but am not sure if I am taking them properly.

I get no advice on the alternatives or supplements from the doctor(s).
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I went to drugdigest.org and entered everything I was taking. Supplements, meds and herbals. Then I saw what DIDN'T go together.

Based on that, I spread things out. For example, I take two Fish Oil capsules a day. I take one in the morning and one at lunch. I saw that one of my meds didn't go with one of my supplements, so I split those up.

I know I am not supposed to take ZMA with calcium. I am taking my ZMA at night, so I take one calcium at lunch and one at dinner.

It also depends on if your supplements are timed-release. If your B-complex is timed release, then you could just take it in the morning. If not, I'd take one in the morning and one at lunch. If you take both in the morning, you'd just pee the excess out. That's just a waste of money.

Also, some things need to be taken on a empty stomach or a full stomach. It's not easy to sort it all out, but keep trying!
  3. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I take most of my supplements when it's convenient for me, except for the mineral supplements. Certain minerals interact with others which can cause poor uptake in your digestive system. Manganese, Iron and Copper should generally be taken separately. Other than that I don't worry too much but I do spread things out in 3 batches during the day. Morning, late morning and then at night.

And I don't worry about mixing vitamins with minerals. It shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps...