Tinnitus and Xanax

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fairydust39, Dec 28, 2006.

1. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I was reading on line about Xanax for help with Tinnitus.
    I know it's very addictive and wonder if anyone has found it hard to get off of? From what I've read it is very helpful to people that has Tinnitus. There is a list of other meds but they aren't as sucessful as Xanax.
    Anyone know anything about this?
    Hugs Shirley
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have tinnitus 24/7, which came with the CFS, so they say but no one knows for certain..

I take xanax and it does help the tinnitus, I am not sure if the xanax helps me tolerate the tinnitus or makes the ringing less..When in a flare or feeling bad the tinnitus is much worse..

The ENT I saw when I was trying to get Dx was the first to prescribe the xanax for the ear problems..

I am now on .25 four times a day if needed..I do take xanax daily, have for over 4 years and it has been a good drug for me..I also suffer from anxiety/depression..

About 8 years ago I took xanax four times a day for 2 years for panic and anxiety and had no trouble at all getting off of it..I got to feeling better and would forget to take them and before I knew it I wasn't taking any...Then when the CFS hit, with the anxiety, tinnitus etc. I am back on it and as I said it has been a good drug for me..

I am very med sensitive so lucky this is one med I can take..

Good Luck,
    greatgran
  3. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I also have Tinnitus 24/7,and have for many years. I am going crazy with the head noise. Sometimes it just sooo loud that I can't stand it!

Do you find that you need more and more Xanax or do you stay on the same dose? Does it help you sleep? I can't sleep at all at night!Do you take any other meds.?

My hearing loss is very profound and I can't hear much at all. Some people say when they go off Xanax that, the Tinnitus gets much much worse.

Hugs Shirley

4. greatgran

greatgran Member

First of all have you discussed the tinnitus with your doctor? If so what does he or she say? Do you have ear problems that could cause your ringing..I was sent to an ENT and do have allergies/sinusitus which can aggreviate the ringing..I have heard that it can also cause it..but in my case they seem to think its the CFS/fibro...I too have hearing loss..

Do you have anxiety / depression ?

I have been to many doctors, had a CT scan and they have no answers for the ringing except its just part of this DD..

No, I haven't had to increase my xanax, there are some days I don't take my prescribed dosage, but most days I take the .25 four times a day..Yes, they help so much with my sleeping, at night I can take two if needed..Especially if I am in a crash.. IfI don't take the xanax the ear ringing is much worse..

Its been over 4 years now, and guess I am beginning to get use to it..The ringing is much worse at night or at least I notice it more..

Xanax is the only prescribed medicine I take..I take bufferin for pain, multiple vit. Vit. C, D, magnesium, and a probotic. Yes, I had the ear ringing before I ever started the bufferin..I have tried several antidepressants and can't tolerate them..I do take an antibotic from time to time when my sinuses get bad and that too seems to help the ringing..

I feel a sinus infection coming on now and my ears are ringing big time..

Please keep me updated on how you are doing..

Nice to meet you,
    greatgran
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

My doctor did mention that aging and hearing loss is also a cause..I love it when they tell me it's the aging process..but they probably have a point as I am in my 60's, man where did time go...

May God be with you today,
    greatgran
  6. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I was on Xanax for anxiety. My neurologist didn't tell me about the drowsiness. I sleeped for 2 hours at work. I did research that Xanax modulates the GABA (inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain) receptor sites. There is a nice article at Wilipedia on it.

I would be extremely curious if taking GABA + Theanine would do the same thing, without the drowsiness, and perhaps work better. Theanine is the transport mechanism that gets the GABA across the blood-brain-barrier (BBB).

The ear consists of 3 sections but the middle ear is connected via a eustation tube to the rear sinus area. If you hold your nose and blow, your ear drum will pop. But when you sneeze or blow your nose, infected sinus drainage gunk gets pushed into the middle ear. Its when the inner ear also gets this infection, that the tinnitis begans to ring. Certain drugs affect ringing too.

Lots of places sell theanine with GABA, including ProHealth.
  7. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Well my ears ring all the time,even when I don't have infection! I am hoping for it to make me sleep--since I never sleep without a sleeping med. I use ExcedrinPM.
    Yes any kind of pain pills can cause Tinnitus but I can't
    tell which does or doesn't since my Tinnitus NEVER stop.
    I will check that out Theanine with Gaba and see if it works.
    Hugs Shirley
    Hey greatgran---I am older than you---I'm 67 yrs. old.
    Everything that can break about my body...HAS LOL
    Will keep you update about what the DR says.

[This Message was Edited on 12/29/2006]
  8. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

HI ALL
    I have tinnitus in both ears 24/7 also. i have menieres disease with fm and i am almost deaf in one ear and starting in the other.i get dizzy alot also.
    the ent told me to take my klonopin when i have a dizzy spell but i have not noticed it helping the rining so i think i'll ask for xanax.
    i have used it before bit it was a long time ago. hope my fm dr. will give it to me. i am glad i seen this post.
    oh and my kids are telling me i am getting old but i am 42 but sometimes feel more like 70/80. wait until they turn 40 and see if they think it is old then??
    wish you well
    glenda
  9. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Type in your search engine Xanax and Tinnitus and you can get much more info on the help that Xanax gives for Tinnitus!

I am almost deaf in both ears but I think if I could get the Tinnitus to stop,I'd hear a lot better.
    I don't have dizzy spells,so I don't think I have Menieres Disease but I have FM and Arthritis.

Oh all kids think their parents are ancient BUT you're not.

You are very young yet,with a full life to live. LOL
    I am going to ask myDR for the Xanax but not sure she'll give it to me! I can try!!!

I found the info by accident,about Xanax,but haven't heard of it before.
    Hugs Shirley

10. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I asked the elders of our Church to pray over me in the Name of Yahweh. We also prayed over a young lady who was having seizures. I wasn't physically healed in that moment but I was spiritually encouraged in that I might suffer as the Christ and shine light in a dark cruel world.

I am getting well, albeit so slowly.
  11. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

If you haven’t seen an ENT, you need to do so. Rarely, tinnitus is caused by a brain tumor. I think in CFS, it is a result of the up-regulated autonomic nervous system. That is why it is helped by Xanax.

The addictiveness of Xanax, at common dosage, is much over-stated. I suspect the myth is propagated by drug companies who would rather that you take something still under patent. I once asked a psychiatrist how addictive Xanax is in comparison to alcohol, nicotine, a caffeine. He said that it is less addictive than alcohol or nicotine and he wasn’t sure how it compared to caffeine.

I find ginko biloba reduces the volume of my tinnitus. Xanax is also helpful.
  12. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

The only ENT in my area isn't at all helpful!I will have to find a Dr that will work with me. The Tinnitus is really loud.
    Thanks Little Bluestem

Yes I believe in prayer and I have been healed many times in my life!
    Thanks Allwxrider

[This Message was Edited on 12/30/2006]